Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

Matthews s% was a 14.3%, on 279 shots, 476 attempted

Eichel's s% was 9.6% (down from 10.1% the previous season), on 249 shots, 428 attempted

Stamkos career is 17.1%, and when he plays a full season it's about 270-300 shots.

So, take Samkos' career average of 17.1%, and apply that to Matthews and Eichel. Matthews now has 48 goals, and Eichel has 43. Both obliterating their assist totals, while also shooting the same amount (Matthews) or more (Eichel) than Stamkos does on an average year.

The question I have is will Matthews sh% stay at 14.3%, that's a lofty number to maintain versus a more standard 10-12%, I'm not saying he won't, just that he might not.

The question I have is will Matthews sh% stay at 14.3%, that's a lofty number to maintain versus a more standard 10-12%, I'm not saying he won't, just that he might not.

I would think he can. His shots aren't snipes or anything other than chip in or rebounds goals. They're high percentage shots

I would think he can. His shots aren't snipes or anything other than chip in or rebounds goals. They're high percentage shots

But will he continue to get to those spots? Team's will have more tape. I'm actually really curious to see his next season.

Interesting stat: Matthews is one of only 2 centres in the top 89 scorers from last season to have more Goals than Assists. The other is Kadri.

Rakell is next to do so, at spot 90.

Matthews and Kadri are the only 2 to do so, out of the top 42 scoring centres in the NHL last season.

So, likely means Matthews' assist totals are likely to go up.

...or his goal totals will go down. Where Pi at? :P

This is the best Matthews we'll ever see. He's already peaked physically, it's why he dominated at a young age. His Mom is Mexican, I live in California. All the Mexican kids here mature physically at a young age.... that's not racist, it's a fact. I don't hate Mexicans.

This is the best Matthews we'll ever see. He's already peaked physically, it's why he dominated at a young age. His Mom is Mexican, I live in California. All the Mexican kids here mature physically at a young age.... that's not racist, it's a fact. I don't hate Mexicans.

dumpsterfire.gif

This is just gold

What about the obligatory mention of having many Mexican friends?

My kids go to school with some Mexicans... They grow mustaches in 4th grade.     I also employ a few to do my landscaping, so yeah, you could say we're pretty tight. 

I also enjoy eating at Del Taco at least once a week. 

brand.gif?itok=wWWyjOdE

OT - I went shopping for hockey equipment yesterday...they were selling game-used equipment by the LA KIngs at a local Play it Again Sports...I noticed a couple things, besides how expensive it was for game used equipment.

First I couldn't believe some of the curves on the sticks of professional players. The curves were huge, especially the Ovechkin. The league must really be desperate for goals to allow hooks like these.

Second, browsing the helmets...sure it was a small sample size, but all the helmets were either small or medium. I might say with a fair amount of accuracy that most if not a majority of players in the NHL have small to medium sized heads. Certainly not too many big melons, which would probably get fair amounts of concussions.

Edited by Marvelo

SPORTSNET’S Elliotte Friedman reports the New York Islanders and defenseman Calvin de Haan have made their salary pitches prior to his arbitration hearing on Wednesday. The Isles are offering $1.95 million while de Haan seeks $5 million. 

seems a bit low for de haan , should get around 4 mill in arbitration for sure.

Matthews would have been the #2 selection by the Sabres had all 3 been there, I think Matthews missed that draft by a few days or weeks. It's said he would have went before Eichel, I'm a fan of Eichel but an even bigger fan of Matthews, just my opinion.

I think Matthews only missed it by a day and it's a shame. We could have held him for serious ransom to Phoenix for the #3 pick (and still taken Eichel there) and who knows what else. To top it off Toronto would be looking at Nylander as their #1 center going forward. If only they had induced labor on him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.