Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

They had rough stretches. And by rough stretches, I mean the longest they've went without the playoffs is about 10 years. Meanwhile the Royals won the WS in 1985, and didn't even make the playoffs until the next time they made it to the WS (2014) 

What reaming?

Oh look, you've resorted to insults. Good for you

Born and raised a Yankees fan since 1982: The Mid 80's were up and down (85 Yankees won 97 games, pre-Wildcard days the Yankees would have been a WC team now and had a strong team) but after that the dark era lasted till about 1993 or so: Went to 10+ Yankees games a year with 20000 tops in the crowd watching the likes of Steve Sax, Dale Berra, Ken Phelps and many others parade around the Bronx.

That's why all the success the Yankees had from 1996-2009 gave me proper perspective going through that era and being a die-hard fan of the Bills and Sabres: I just don't stress about the Yankees anymore: I saw a ton of winning, as a fan I can't ask for much more then that.

Brian Campbell officially retired.

Seeing his stats on twitter makes me rethink where he is ranked among Sabres defensemen.

4 times top 10 in Norris votes, 2 time all star. Fantastic scoring stats. And the Umberher hit. Top 4 for sure?

Edited by We've

Seeing his stats on twitter makes me rethink where he is ranked among Sabres defensemen.

4 times top 10 in Norris votes, 2 time all star. Fantastic scoring stats. And the Umberher hit. Top 4 for sure?

I'd have Ramsey, Schoenfeld, McKee, and Housley, at least, in front of him.  And I haven't given this much thought yet.

He's the best of my lifetime, so far as my memory goes. So figure since the early 90s.

I'd have Ramsey, Schoenfeld, McKee, and Housley, at least, in front of him.  And I haven't given this much thought yet.

I think Campbell is ahead of McKee.  Agree on the rest.

Fan favorite whipping boy Zhitnick may have been better than Campbell.  I'm not sure.  I think Zhitnick got tougher and more minutes.

...that are under market value:

Stamkos, Hedman, Johnson, Stralman and especially Kucherov.

Agree from a salary cap perspective, which is all we care about. However from the players point of view, with zero state income tax in Florida, they are closer to market than one might think. 

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/inside-the-money-matters-for-steven-stamkos/2262766

If Dale Tallon were 1/2 the GM Stevie Y is the Panthers would be signing guys to similar deals. Instead he gives away his 30 goal scorer in the expansion draft...

According to Sport-Express writer Alexei Shevchenko, RUS NHLers have told him the league has a backup schedule with an Olympic break.

Getting a lot of push back from NHLPA including Crosby about not going.

They're going to go the Olympics

According to Sport-Express writer Alexei Shevchenko, RUS NHLers have told him the league has a backup schedule with an Olympic break.

Very good news, that's what I like to hear. I want to see Jack play for gold with the big boys.

How is that possible. There are already people planning trips around attending games on certain dates.

IF they do break for the Olympics after having produced & distributed a non-Olympic break schedule, it will be in the top 3 (top 5 definitely) most NHLy things the NHL has ever done.

How is that possible. There are already people planning trips around attending games on certain dates.

IF they do break for the Olympics after having produced & distributed a non-Olympic break schedule, it will be in the top 3 (top 5 definitely) most NHLy things the NHL has ever done.

Please don't dare the NHL to out-NHL itself. They can conceive of no bottom to which they may sink.

They could lock out just b4 the Olympics because the players are planning on going

I don't think they can, as that would violate the no strike/lockout provision of the CBA. The league would have its ass handed to it.

Edited to add: or at least it would if the NHLPA were in possession of an actual backbone.

Edited by Sabres79

Please don't dare the NHL to out-NHL itself. They can conceive of no bottom to which they may sink.

:huh:

How is stating that adding an Olympic break after putting out a schedule & selling tickets for said schedule without an Olympic break would be an immensely NHLy thing to do daring them to be NHLy? :unsure:

Can't really see how they'd do it at this point, but definitely don't put it past them.

[EDIT: added phrase to 1st sentence for clarity.]

Edited by Taro T

:huh:

How is stating that adding an Olympic break after putting out a schedule & selling tickets for said schedule without an Olympic break would be an immensely NHLy thing to do? :unsure:

Can't really see how they'd do it at this point, but definitely don't put it past them.

Because they'd be, at the very least, placing a hardship upon at least some of the actual paying customers. Never mind growing the game, they're actively not caring about those willing to give them money in the first place.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.