2017 Stanley Cup Final NSH vs PIT

Brawndo

Is it going to be a night of CTA's on repeat? Seemed to be the flavor of our ED tonight. Lot of pens fans down in the southern tier and it was annoying lol

Possibly, but more stroke and for some reason chest colds... Possibly allergies because it finally got sunny around here and everything went boom to flower after 2 weeks for rainy weather.

I don't know how many of you were around when the Sabres went to the Cup Finals in '74-75 but this year's finals reminded me very much of that series so long ago. First Pit went up 2-0 in the series and so did the Flyers over the Sabres, who tied it up 2-2 at home. Then Pit like Phi pulled ahead 3-2, all home wins to this point for both series.  Game 5 was a blowout in both series for the eventual winners. Then both the Penguins and Flyers pulled it out in the final game 2-0, scoring done by two pluggers. Both the Pens and Flyers paraded the Stanley Cup on enemy ice while Buf and Nash had to host it. For Parent, it was the second of two straight Conn Smyth. He was the first to ever do this. This year's win over the blue and gold Nashville Predators was also the second of two straight Conn Smyths for Crosby. It was also the second straight Stanley Cup win for both the Pennsylvania-based Pens and Flyers

Edited by Marvelo

Ever seen one of those movies where a team of bad guys comes into a competition and cheats and takes cheap shots to win?  There's always a scene with that team celebrating winning in the middle, while all around them, people are looking at them angrily.  That's what it's like when a team wins the Cup on the road.  I hate it.

I don't know how many of you were around when the Sabres went to the Cup Finals in 74-75 but this PIT-NASH finals reminded me very much of that series. First Pit went up 2-0 in the series and so did the Flyers over the Sabres, who tied it up 2-2 at home. Then Pit like Phi pulled ahead 3-2, all home wins for Pit and Nash to this point and same with the Sabres series.  Game 5 was a blowout in both Sabres and Penguins series for the eventual victors. Then the Penguins pulled it out in the end 2-0, the identical score of the Sabres-Flyers last game, scoring done by two pluggers. The Pens paraded the Stanley Cup on enemy ice, just like the Flyers did, the first time both Buf and Nash experienced the Stanley Cup, they had to endure an enemy putting it in their fans' faces. You could feel the deflation from the fans in both. Parent was the first player to ever win 2 conn smyth trophies in a row (1 for the Sabres series) and Crosby did the same. It was the second straight Stanley Cup win for both the Pens and Flyers who are both from PA.

Eerily, the Sabres and Preds have the same color scheme and the Preds logo is applicable to the Sabres ala Sabretooth...Now the Sabres are getting Housley?

(Not to mention Pete Weber, the Nashville pbp man with deep Buffalo roots who once did pbp for the Sabres)

It's like the Matrix isn't even trying anymore to come up with new s###.

They say misery loves company, but I take no delight in Nashville getting jobbed by a bad call in a game 6 of the SCF.

And a bad call in Game 1 to take away their first goal.

I just can't congratulate Pittsburgh for winning when these two calls changed the complexion of the series. It's like giving credit to Tom Brady & Bill Belichick for just being great when you know the cheating cloud is hanging overhead.

Call me bitter if you want, but I just can't help but think what would have happened if the Preds didn't get hosed.

And a bad call in Game 1 to take away their first goal.

I just can't congratulate Pittsburgh for winning when these two calls changed the complexion of the series. It's like giving credit to Tom Brady & Bill Belichick for just being great when you know the cheating cloud is hanging overhead.

Call me bitter if you want, but I just can't help but think what would have happened if the Preds didn't get hosed.

I don't think I've ever seen a NHL playoff series were officiating was right down the middle. Part of nhl hockey is unfair officiating. If the Sabres ever reach the cup final in our lifetime it will be 10 times worse no matter who were playing. It's just how it is.

Edited by Saratoga Sabres Fan

IMO a very different series outcome had 2 Preds goals been allowed to stand, first one in game 1 and the first one in game 6. NHL got what they wanted again with Crosby holding the cup.

The NHL wanted Nashville to win but they screwed that up like they screw everything.

I don't think I've ever seen a NHL playoff series were officiating was right down the middle. Part of nhl hockey is unfair officiating. If the Sabres ever reach the cup final in our lifetime it will be 10 times worse no matter who were playing. It's just how it is.

Watch it be the Sabres (Eichel) against the Oilers (McDavid).  This board would be on fire if the officiating favored McDavid.  I'd be surprised if it didn't.  

I don't know how many of you were around when the Sabres went to the Cup Finals in 74-75 but this PIT-NASH finals reminded me very much of that series. First Pit went up 2-0 in the series and so did the Flyers over the Sabres, who tied it up 2-2 at home. Then Pit like Phi pulled ahead 3-2, all home wins for Pit and Nash to this point and same with the Sabres series.  Game 5 was a blowout in both Sabres and Penguins series for the eventual victors. Then the Penguins pulled it out in the end 2-0, the identical score of the Sabres-Flyers last game, scoring done by two pluggers. The Pens paraded the Stanley Cup on enemy ice, just like the Flyers did, the first time both Buf and Nash experienced the Stanley Cup, they had to endure an enemy putting it in their fans' faces. You could feel the deflation from the fans in both. Parent was the first player to ever win 2 conn smyth trophies in a row (1 for the Sabres series) and Crosby did the same. It was the second straight Stanley Cup win for both the Pens and Flyers who are both from PA.

Eerily, the Sabres and Preds have the same color scheme and the Preds logo is applicable to the Sabres ala Sabretooth...Now the Sabres are getting Housley?

(Not to mention Pete Weber, the Nashville pbp man with deep Buffalo roots who once did pbp for the Sabres)

Dang! Not unlike the Kennedy-Lincoln assasination "coincidences":

http://www.clickhole.com/article/coincidence-similarities-between-kennedy-and-linco-1750

With they way they jump around from shot to shot during the handshake line, I'm amazed that I actually got to see the when Bonino and Wilson got to each other.  They gave me the most entertaining year I ever got out of college hockey, so it's good to see them on this stage.

Watch it be the Sabres (Eichel) against the Oilers (McDavid).  This board would be on fire if the officiating favored McDavid.  I'd be surprised if it didn't.

Given what Buffalo and a Canadian team would do to the ratings on both sides of the border I doubt the NHL would be as incentivized to look the other way at that sort of nonsense as they have been in the past.

Given what Buffalo and a Canadian team would do to the ratings on both sides of the border I doubt the NHL would be as incentivized to look the other way at that sort of nonsense as they have been in the past.

But Buffalo watches no matter who is playing.

They look away every year in the playoffs. Nothing would change. People like seeing players go 110% w/ few penalties called.

Edited by GoPre

I didn't catch the game but it sounds like the correct call was made regarding the early whistle, as unfortunate as it was that they lost sight of the puck and had to blow it. 

I might be remembering this wrong, but when Buffalo was in Calgary earlier this year, didn't this situation happen, only they went against all rules and protocols and made the (correct in a vacuum) call that it was a good goal, just because? Even though they aren't supposed to? 

I'm 85% sure that's how it happened. 

If I'm remembering correctly, the NHL has a lot of improving to do. 

I didn't catch the game but it sounds like the correct call was made regarding the early whistle, as unfortunate as it was that they lost sight of the puck and had to blow it. 

I might be remembering this wrong, but when Buffalo was in Calgary earlier this year, didn't this situation happen, only they went against all rules and protocols and made the (correct in a vacuum) call that it was a good goal, just because? Even though they aren't supposed to? 

I'm 85% sure that's how it happened. 

If I'm remembering correctly, the NHL has a lot of improving to do. 

You remember it correctly.

EDIT:  Here you go:  https://streamable.com/ccxi8

Edited by Eleven

Oh, it was the correct call under the circumstances, but brutal for the whistle to have gone in that situation.

Hamilton was on GR this morning and remarked that the ref had a poor angle on the play because he was out of position. I agree.

And as Friedman (sp?) said on the CBC intermission after the disallowed goal: "No one feels worse about this than Kevin Pollock", who was the ref who blew the play dead.

That might have been true at the time Friedman said it, but I venture to say there are a whole lotta people now who DO feel worse about his errant whistle than Pollock does.  

You remember it correctly.

EDIT:  Here you go:  https://streamable.com/ccxi8

The whistle is closer to the puck crossing the line than I remember, but even the Flames announcers said it went before the puck crossed the line. 

Perhaps the refs decided that the whistle went after, and then technically they didn't violate the rules? I don't think we got a good enough angle from their broadcast replays

I have a hard time feeling sorry about a ref error for a fan base that was on the winning side of the Music City Miracle. Yes, I'm old and bitter before my time!

I considered this take during the playoffs at some point, but my dislike for the Penguins success overrules my tepid-at-best frustration with the Bills. 

I have a hard time feeling sorry about a ref error for a fan base that was on the winning side of the Music City Miracle. Yes, I'm old and bitter before my time!

Right there with you.  It was one of my reasons for rooting against the Preds.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.