2017 Stanley Cup Final NSH vs PIT

Brawndo

Anyone who purports to be a fan of the Sabres *and* another NHL hockey team can go take a flying leap in the Cumberland River.

A Sabres fan can't like a western conference team where he's lived for over fifteen years? Why not?

Metro population and city population are two different statistics. Buffalo has about a quarter million residents its metro area is 1.3 m.

Metro population is what matters relative to sports franchises, surely you must know that?

Liking a team, sure.

I'm pretty cut and dried, though, when it comes to the proverbial matter of sports fan bigamy.

When the Sabres come to Nashville I wear my Sabres gear and cheer for them. If the Sabres ever met Nashville for the cup I'd cheer for them. I like a second team. If that puts my Sabres fandom in question in your eyes who gives a ? Suck it. 

Why not have a second family in the next county? "Business" trips once a week.

Liking a second hockey teM equates to a second secret family? Dude, you're a grown man...

When the Sabres come to Nashville I wear my Sabres gear and cheer for them. If the Sabres ever met Nashville for the cup I'd cheer for them. I like a second team. If that puts my Sabres fandom in question in your eyes who gives a ######? Suck it. 

In answer to your question: I do.

In response to your invitation: No thanks.

I guess my litmus is this: I may like or pull for another team, but the outcomes of that team's game don't affect me, positively or negatively, nearly (not even close) the same way those outcomes do when my team wins or loses. I'm not biting nails or murmuring prayers or re-ordering my calendar to support a 2nd team that I kinda like. I'd only do that for my team.

This conversation has been had around here, in other threads. I don't mean to hijack this one with the debate.

Liking a team, sure.

I'm pretty cut and dried, though, when it comes to the proverbial matter of sports fan bigamy.

Beyond the Sabres, it starts to become more about the individual players for me.  There are certain guys I will always pull for.  Then again, it gets difficult when one of those players currently plays for the Hurricanes.

A Sabres fan can't like a western conference team where he's lived for over fifteen years? Why not?

Metro population is what matters relative to sports franchises, surely you must know that?

The original conversation in which this is in the context of is fans partying outside of the arena on gameday; no I do not count the suburbs 30 miles away on this I count the residents within the city. I was factually correct in stating that Nashville's population is roughly three times that of Buffalo. Metro population is a straw man argument.

Don't care either way, I'm a Buffalo Sabres fan and don't get swept up in the next new shiny thing. Even if I moved far, far away... blue and gold til I'm dead and cold.

Beyond the Sabres, it starts to become more about the individual players for me.  There are certain guys I will always pull for.  Then again, it gets difficult when one of those players currently plays for the Hurricanes.

Same. I tend to look for players I like. 

Hell, I even like Jagr nowadays. If you'd have asked me that in 2007 I'd have cut you. 

Liking a second hockey teM equates to a second secret family? Dude, you're a grown man...

Hey, I never said it was a bad thing and I didn't pass judgment. You do you, dude. Make yourself happy. If that works for ya, fine by me.

I think things are different now. Kids are everywhere. When I was a kid there were places my parents wouldn't take me because kids didn't belong there. That unwritten rule appears to be dead. Everyone's kids are special now and they should be allowed everywhere and if they aren't then suburban mom is gonna need to see your manager.

Really?  I remember sitting in a smoke filled bar with my Dad when I was little because he wanted a damn beer and he had me with him.  You can go on about parents being stupid but it's not just in relation to their kids. Adults feel the same way and that includes telling others where kids should and should not be.  Your first statement was that they don't belong at a hockey game.  I went to a lot of hockey games growing up, it's why I became a fan.  Without it I would probably not be a hockey fan today.  That's usually how it works.

I just have one more thing to say,...

Nashville can ###### right off!! I'm a mother###### Sabres fan. I can feel any God###### way I want to about another team or their fans. I don't even need a reason. This is sports and I can hate anyone I want to just for the mere reason that they aren't the Sabres or their fans. If they don't like it, well, they can go ###### right off as well. And I'm certainly not going to be told how or what to think of these things on a message board devoted to the BUFFALO SABRES! Anyone who doesn't like it can go to their other team's message board and shine each other's ###### about how great they are. Is it jealousy? Abso######lutely, but who gives a ######? Doesn't make it any less real and at least I feel something. So all you Nashville fans can take your great street party and your country singers and shove them right up your ass. I'm a Sabres fan and don't care about you. I'll be sitting here with my rage to keep me company until the Sabres are good again. Feel free to hate me as much then.

I feel better.

same thing I asked the other guy.. you are in a thread designed to discuss two teams that you clearly don't want to care about.  Why do you bother to come into the thread?  You would save yourself a lot of hassle and stress by not venturing in here.  The fact that you do would indicate that you clearly care enough about something to venture in, get all uppity and then crap on everyone else.  What is in it for you?  Truthfully?

Anyone who purports to be a fan of the Sabres *and* another NHL hockey team can go take a flying leap in the Cumberland River.

What's the line between fan and rooting for another team to beat a different team?  I mean, I don't even allow myself to get depressed about the Sabres because it's a group of people getting paid a lot of money to entertain people.  In the grand scheme of things there are far more critical things in life.  So, if they Sabres don't impact me that much am I not a fan?

same thing I asked the other guy.. you are in a thread designed to discuss two teams that you clearly don't want to care about.  Why do you bother to come into the thread?  You would save yourself a lot of hassle and stress by not venturing in here.  The fact that you do would indicate that you clearly care enough about something to venture in, get all uppity and then crap on everyone else.  What is in it for you?  Truthfully?

First of all, that rant post was tongue in cheek and I'm a little surprised that anyone would take it seriously, especially since I had just said that I was (and still am) rooting for Nashville. I really didn't think I needed to point that out. Whatever. People are too serious these days.

I care about hockey and have watched almost every second of these playoffs. Why would I stop now?

My initial post didn't crap on anyone, unless one is overly sensitive.

What's the line between fan and rooting for another team to beat a different team?  I mean, I don't even allow myself to get depressed about the Sabres because it's a group of people getting paid a lot of money to entertain people.  In the grand scheme of things there are far more critical things in life.  So, if they Sabres don't impact me that much am I not a fan?

I know it's a just game.  We're not the ones actually playing for the Cup.  The wins and losses don't hit us like it does the players, but we can still have a sense of pride for the team we pull for.  I don't cheer for the name on the back of a jersey.  I pull for the logo on the front.  A fan should be excited when their team wins, and should also be disappointed when they lose.  If a fan doesn't experience that, why are they even following the team they pull for?

Fair question. I myself am essentially a "recovering" fan of the Bills and Sabres -- I don't allow myself to get sucked in quite the way I did years ago. 

So, from my view, whatever your allowable/permissible/actual level of emotional commitment to your hometown team is, the emotional commitment that you have to ANOTHER team in the same league should be less. Like, a lot less.

Fair question. I myself am essentially a "recovering" fan of the Bills and Sabres -- I don't allow myself to get sucked in quite the way I did years ago. 

So, from my view, whatever your allowable/permissible/actual level of emotional commitment to your hometown team is, the emotional commitment that you have to ANOTHER team in the same league should be less. Like, a lot less.

I'll second that.   :thumbsup:

So beyond fandom tanking and morality...

Murray is back in net tonight. Think this is easily the biggest game of the series, regardless of it goes the distance

Awesome. I was nervous they. Might make the switch. I think Murray is rattled. If we can get one early I think he folds. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.