Is Evander Kane and his contract not the most important decision?

Sabre fan

It troubles me that, whispers here or there aside, there really hasn't been anything at all said about KO from anywhere.

I've been worried about that too. The focus has been on the man's health and rightfully so, but now I can't help but to wonder if he's playing next October or not.

I've been worried about that too. The focus has been on the man's health and rightfully so, but now I can't help but to wonder if he's playing next October or not.

There's been no news from the team in about a month. They all went home or off to other things. Why would they say anything about Okposo? Especially if he headed out of town.

Have you heard anything about anyone on the team in a month? I haven't.

Even when XGMTM was asked about it at his final press conference he flipped his lid and shut the question down. If there was good news we'd have been told he's fine by now. IMO.

Even when XGMTM was asked about it at his final press conference he flipped his lid and shut the question down. If there was good news we'd have been told he's fine by now. IMO.

Who's given an interview to answer that question? No one since Pegulas fired everyone.

By who?

Exactly. There's been no news from the team in weeks. We have no gm or coach.

French language media (as someone else, I forget who, mentioned in another thread earlier) ran with a concussion story thanks to William Carrirer running his mouth. I suppose it's either A: me not realizing that I live in an odd super-hockey-sensitive bubble and wondering why everyone else has a problem or B: it's too much to ask Buffalo media to even go as far as to ask unanswered questions or get a "no comment" if that's all they'd get.

Probably A, I suppose.

I'd offer Kane the same contract we gave Okposo and I'd even front end load it in similar fashion so it would be easier to unload down the road if we need the cap space. If he wants more than that I might be willing depending on how much, but only on a shorter term (4 or 5 years max). If we can't get him signed for that I auction him off to the highest bidder. He may not be able to sign until July 1st but you can definitely negotiate and have a deal in place for that date. If you don't reach an agreement in principle with him and his agent by then I send feelers out throughout the league and try to move him at the draft.

I'd offer Kane the same contract we gave Okposo and I'd even front end load it in similar fashion so it would be easier to unload down the road if we need the cap space. If he wants more than that I might be willing depending on how much, but only on a shorter term (4 or 5 years max). If we can't get him signed for that I auction him off to the highest bidder. He may not be able to sign until July 1st but you can definitely negotiate and have a deal in place for that date. If you don't reach an agreement in principle with him and his agent by then I send feelers out throughout the league and try to move him at the draft.

I like this theory.

You get him signed. In a year or 2 if he's not fitting in or working out he's trade bait..

• 2 weeks later...

Heard that someone is guessing that we may only be able to get like a 2nd rounder for Kane...that seems far too low. Signing him obviously will take big bucks so we can only hope that Anaheim, where kane would fit in perfectly gives us  a offer we can't refuse...

Watching the playoffs and how those games are played reminds me, again, of how much we need guys like Kane when we finally reach the promised land of the playoffs again. It's such an intense and physical version of NHL hockey, without guys who play as fast and hard and Kane, there is no chance. They don't grow on trees. So although I am in tune with the "sell high" argument and support it, my support is conditional on getting a haul in return that contributes to the team's chances to be a playoff contender in the near term; i.e. I think it has to be a solid puck moving defenseman in return (like Vatanan), which is what we need. Hopefully, if this happens then guys like Bailey, Carrier, Fasching, and/or Baptiste can step up and in some way partially fill the scoring/checking forward slot Kane occupies (not 1 for 1, but at least in part). 

Agree with the "Okposo deal" post above in terms of trying to keep him. 

Watching the playoffs and how those games are played reminds me, again, of how much we need guys like Kane when we finally reach the promised land of the playoffs again. It's such an intense and physical version of NHL hockey, without guys who play as fast and hard and Kane, there is no chance. They don't grow on trees. So although I am in tune with the "sell high" argument and support it, my support is conditional on getting a haul in return that contributes to the team's chances to be a playoff contender in the near term; i.e. I think it has to be a solid puck moving defenseman in return (like Vatanan), which is what we need. Hopefully, if this happens then guys like Bailey, Carrier, Fasching, and/or Baptiste can step up and in some way partially fill the scoring/checking forward slot Kane occupies (not 1 for 1, but at least in part). 

Agree with the "Okposo deal" post above in terms of trying to keep him.

I concur that he would be a tremendous player in the playoffs.

Keep in mind that he needs to convey whether he likes it here or prefers UFA. This should be where JBot starts the discussion.

the big problem with trading Kane is that most teams that would want or need him (Anaheim, Rangers) already are in cap hell and adding a 5 to 6 million dollar player may just be impossible. Vancouver would make more sense but who do the have we'd want (PLEASE not the Sedins)

Edited by Sabre fan

the big problem with trading Kane is that most teams that would want or need him (Anaheim, Rangers) already are in cap hell and adding a 5 to 6 million dollar player may just be impossible. Vancouver would make more sense but who do the have we'd want (PLEASE not the Sundins)

Mats and his brothers?  He's like retired, man.

Interesting article...really, only a 2nd round draft pick and some player for kane? Seems low...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/rumors/article/rumor-roundup-sabres-mum-on-plans-for-evander-kane#cxrecs_s

Reports suggest the Sabres will give their new coach a say on what to with left winger Evander Kane.

The Buffalo Sabres' recent hiring of Jason Botterill as their new GM has resurrected the trade speculation regarding left winger Evander Kane. The 25-year-old's off-ice problems last summer made him a fixture in this season's rumor mill. 

Speaking to WGR 550 on Wednesday, TSN insider Darren Dreger speculated whoever Botterill hires as the Sabres new coach will want a say in determining Kane's future in Buffalo. Meanwhile, Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman told Edmonton's 630 CHED Botterill declined to comment specifically about Kane.

Friedman suggests there's a sense the Sabres must make a decision soon about Kane, who's a year away from unrestricted free agency with a $5.25-million cap hit for 2017-18. He feels the club must re-sign him or place the winger on the trade block.

Dreger and Friedman noted trade rumors this season frequently linked the Vancouver Canucks to Kane. He's a Vancouver native and the Canucks need scoring depth.

Friedman said he hasn't heard of any specific clubs with interest in the veteran forward. If Botterill shops Kane this summer, Dreger speculates the asking price could be upwards of a second-round draft pick and perhaps a player. He adds he hasn't heard of anyone making a package offer for Kane since joining the Sabres.

In his eight NHL seasons, Kane's tallied 20-or-more goals three times and exceeded 40 points four times. However, his off-ice issues, inconsistent play and high cap hit for next season make him difficult to move.

Any club willing to take a chance on Kane could be reluctant to part with more than a third rounder for his services. They could also squeeze Botterill to pick up part of Kane's cap hit or take back a toxic contract in return.

Kane, however, seemed to turn a corner this season. After returning from a rib injury, he was among the Sabres' best players. If he's matured and put his troubled past behind him, perhaps Botterill could consider re-signing him.

If Kane is shopped it's unlikely he'll join the Canucks. While they need scoring it appears management is engaging in a full-fledged rebuild, putting the focus on younger, more affordable players.

Edited by Sabre fan

I'n trading Kane if I can get value for him. I like his pluses, but the injuries and attitude and to a certain extent one dimentional play, keep me from wanting to commit to him long-term.

I'd much rather have the D.

What attitude...and one dimensional play? He forechecks, backchecks and scores goals. Easy to find defensemen...harder to find goal scorers

What attitude...and one dimensional play? He forechecks, backchecks and scores goals. Easy to find defensemen...harder to find goal scorers

Right on. His only downside is off ice and long term will he be what we saw last season. No question he is a talent.

Interesting article...really, only a 2nd round draft pick and some player for kane? Seems low...

Reports suggest the Sabres will give their ....

2 things. First it is bad form to post an entire news article. Second it is absolute garbage form to copy n paste that article and not even give the link for it.

2 things. First it is bad form to post an entire news article. Second it is absolute garbage form to copy n paste that article and not even give the link for it.

I swear, I think some of these authors come to this website to figure out what to write about.  Until Andrew Peters's off-the-cuff suggestion last week (which dealt with WHAT IF Kane were traded), we had heard absolutely nothing about new rumors regarding Kane.

I swear, I think some of these authors come to this website to figure out what to write about. Until Andrew Peters's off-the-cuff suggestion last week (which dealt with WHAT IF Kane were traded), we had heard absolutely nothing about new rumors regarding Kane.

Wgr lifted a thread from here directly once about 2 years ago. Personally I have a big problem with some of the OP posts. No sources for anything and a random news story with no link. It's not a great way to post. Edited by LGR4GM

http://www.thehockeynews.com/rumors/article/rumor-roundup-sabres-mum-on-plans-for-evander-kane#cxrecs_s

Reports suggest the Sabres will give their new coach a say on what to with left winger Evander Kane.

The Buffalo Sabres' recent hiring of Jason Botterill as their new GM has resurrected the trade speculation regarding left winger Evander Kane. The 25-year-old's off-ice problems last summer made him a fixture in this season's rumor mill. 

Speaking to WGR 550 on Wednesday, TSN insider Darren Dreger speculated whoever Botterill hires as the Sabres new coach will want a say in determining Kane's future in Buffalo. Meanwhile, Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman told Edmonton's 630 CHED Botterill declined to comment specifically about Kane.

Friedman suggests there's a sense the Sabres must make a decision soon about Kane, who's a year away from unrestricted free agency with a $5.25-million cap hit for 2017-18. He feels the club must re-sign him or place the winger on the trade block.

Dreger and Friedman noted trade rumors this season frequently linked the Vancouver Canucks to Kane. He's a Vancouver native and the Canucks need scoring depth.

Friedman said he hasn't heard of any specific clubs with interest in the veteran forward. If Botterill shops Kane this summer, Dreger speculates the asking price could be upwards of a second-round draft pick and perhaps a player. He adds he hasn't heard of anyone making a package offer for Kane since joining the Sabres.

In his eight NHL seasons, Kane's tallied 20-or-more goals three times and exceeded 40 points four times. However, his off-ice issues, inconsistent play and high cap hit for next season make him difficult to move.

Any club willing to take a chance on Kane could be reluctant to part with more than a third rounder for his services. They could also squeeze Botterill to pick up part of Kane's cap hit or take back a toxic contract in return.

Kane, however, seemed to turn a corner this season. After returning from a rib injury, he was among the Sabres' best players. If he's matured and put his troubled past behind him, perhaps Botterill could consider re-signing him.

If Kane is shopped it's unlikely he'll join the Canucks. While they need scoring it appears management is engaging in a full-fledged rebuild, putting the focus on younger, more affordable players.

So effectively it should say, you're Buffalo. Enjoy your skilled locker room cancer or trade him for rubbish. Oh and that ruins any hope of us getting a Dman because I'm completely unwilling to deal Reinhart+ just to get Hanifin

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.