Is Evander Kane and his contract not the most important decision?

Sabre fan

No doubt the new GM will have to make some big, and quick decisions as things will be coming at him pretty quickly. The Vegas expansion draft, the amateur draft, of course finding a new head coach and additional coaching staff, signing Antinpin (if it isn;t already done) and a host of other big things must be addressed.

The re-signing of Jack is a gimme, but it is the Evander kane contract situation that stands out as by far the most important at this point.Kane is a amazing power forward who would no doubt be crazy-good in the playoffs with say Anaheim. he is about to enter his last year of the exisiting contract, and headed for UFA. His value will be off the chart come next summer. he easily led the team in goals and most come at even strength. he is simply put, an awesome power forward.

The bottom line is Evander kane is far too good to not do something with. I will absolutely scream if we are to hang on to him for this season then do what we did with briere and Drury, which was to not re-sign them and just let him walk and get nothing for him. He is a huge asset, and needs to be a) re-signed or (b) traded.

What do you think? It is either re-sign or trade him NOW. Waiting til the trade deadline is dangerous as he may get hurt, have a off year and not be producing as well as he did this past season (28 goals while missing a pile of games), or he may pull another one of his now-famous stunts and scare everybody away. The time is now to decide one way or the other. If we trade him, who is going to score? The situation with Kane is by far the number one  issue right now either way

Let's see how he starts off the year, how he fits in the new "system"... then go from there.   There will be plenty of time to extend him during the season.    If he's having success (and staying out of trouble), and the team is having success, he'll want to be here, and GMJB will want him here as well.    I wouldn't sign him this summer tho.

just worried about not signing him now. as I said thing scan go wrong which may drop his value  and it would seem now is the time to do something with him. he is such a monster talent and it hurts to know we will be paying a few guys (named Moulson and Ennis) more then enough to re-sign Kane for 5 years.

I think this will probably wash out overe the summer if not sooner. My feeling is they're going to get an idea of what Kane will want money wise and length. If it's too much I could see him traded at the draft or over summer. I think he represents a high risk long term but his value right now is probably high as it's been.

It boils down to whether or not GMJB thinks he can stay out of trouble and remain productive.    

I, for one, believe Evander has learned from his mistakes and will be a significant piece of the puzzle moving forward.

I don't see Kane being a quick decision unless GMTBD wants deal him at the draft. There's the early summer to sign or trade him. I'm not sure I'd wait until mid-season though; if he gets that close to UFA, he may take it or it'll cost a lot more.

For years many here (Sabrespace) were clamouring for Kane, or some similar type player (IMO, there are very few that bring what he does) as a big missing piece for the Sabres.

Now that we have him I can't believe there is even a discussion.  That said, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I will make mine very clear and it is what I have said all along ...

... I want the Sabres to re-sign Kane this summer.  I believe it was a top priority for Murray and I would think the same for the new GM of the Sabres, whoever it is.

For years many here (Sabrespace) were clamouring for Kane, or some similar type player (IMO, there are very few that bring what he does) as a big missing piece for the Sabres.

Now that we have him I can't believe there is even a discussion.  That said, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

... I want the Sabres to re-sign Kane this summer.  I believe it was a top priority for Murray and I would think the same for the new GM of the Sabres, whoever it is.

totally agreed...we have wanting a power-forward for many years and he is about as good as hey get. Hope we re-sign him

While Antipin may be the first roster change, to Kane or Not to Kane, that is the biggest lineup question. 

Pluses
1) Speed
2) Scoring, especially 5 on 5
3) Plays physical
4) Still relatively young that he can be a part of a championship team (will be 26 early next season)
5) With one year left on a mostly reasonable deal and his age should make him a very sought after player.

Minus
1) Personality? Attitude - does his "style" fit in with the Sabres long-term and the new culture TP wants to create and will the new GM put up with him?
2) Cost - $5.25 mill currently for a 25-30 goal scorer is probably fair, but can we afford a long-term to invest in a KO type contract after this season, especially given his injury history.
3) Bad Penalties
4) Oft injured
5) Doesn't create much for linemates.

Ultimately the new GM will have to make up his mind about the direction he wants the Sabres to go and the decision on Kane will be a huge piece of that direction. When healthy and motivated, Kane can be unstoppable. When not, he is downright horrible. If the GM is Fenton, I can see him moving Kane out nearly immediately for more D help. Guys like Botterill and Zito, I have no idea what they'd do. This decision will affect how the GM approaches this roster this off-season and in the future. The decision might also hinge on whether the new GM gets a win now mandate from TP.

If the GM keeps Kane and extends him this off-season, the New GM's off-season moves will be dominated by fixing the D through smaller trades or FAs. I don't see how he secures a big D in trade without using Kane as bait (I don't see Sam as the bait because he is still cheap, under control and we didn't win the lottery). Keeping Kane also likely means bigger roles immediately for Guhle and Antipin, unless the new GM can shed some contract like both Ennis and Moulson to be to afford an Alzner and Kane.

The half measure here, is to keep Kane and see how the season plays out. This is a mistake IMHO. It risks Kane getting injured (a likely problem) not playing well and diminishing his trade value and could ultimately lead to the wasting of the last year of Jack and Sam's ELC. It would also mean likely foregoing the team's best opportunity to secure a a young vet top 4 D like Vatanen or Brodin through expansion related trades. 

However moving Kane now for a young vet D, like Brodin or Vatanen or Fowler etc.., should solidify our top 3 for years to come, giving us a more competitive next season, while also giving the new GM the luxury of rebuilding the D pipeline and maybe even playing Guhle in the A if he proves he isn't quite ready for the NHL. The new GM will have to be pretty confident that guys like Bailey, Carrier, Baptiste, and Fasching can step right in a pick up some of the offense leaving with Kane's departure or he can find a couple of serviceable players in trade or FAs 

Surprised I am agreeing, was negative on his signing, but if he keeps his head down this summer, agreed, He and teammates seem to have figured out how to play together. Kid can score and be a nasty force on the forecheck. I say sign him.

Is this one of those situations where if he's not extended by July 1, they can't talk with him until after January or something?

What?

He can't be extended until July 1. So the new gm should either decide he wants to extend or trade him at the draft if he won't be trying to extend starting July 1.

If we can extend him then absolutely. I'm not sure if we should offer him the long term contract that he'll be looking for though. I'm all about second chances but he's a gamble long term. Kane needs a wife and kids to keep him out of trouble lol.

I like Kane, I want defense. If the value isn't outrageous I would be thrilled to see him sign, and I would be equally thrilled to get a quality defenseman for him. 

It took me a while to get used to what to expect with Kane but I'm all in on his game now, as long as he's driving his own line. He's learned to play like a teammate.

We can't replace him with the players currently under contract.  Sign him.

To further that line of thought.  We had our best RW go down and end up hospitalized for a significant period of time, and there appears to be some question regarding his future.  Why would we even entertain the idea of shipping off our best LW at this time?

Edited by We've

Is this one of those situations where if he's not extended by July 1, they can't talk with him until after January or something?

Nope. He's on a multiyear deal, so he can be signed exclusively starting July 1 right through to next July 1.

You seem to be thinking of the January 1 start of the signing period for a guy on a 1 year deal.

To further that line of thought.  We had our best RW go down and end up hospitalized for a significant period of time, and there appears to be some question regarding his future.  Why would we even entertain the idea of shipping off our best LW at this time?

This may be the best argument for keeping Kane. If we lose KO then we lack any proven top 6 wingers. That said, I think Bailey and Baptiste have the potential to be 20 goal scorers in the NHL.

The team should be on a mission to get Evander some playoff games for this franchise next year, in part because they're probably just as curious as I am how he'll play in the postseason. I think he's going to be an epic playoff player. 

This may be the best argument for keeping Kane. If we lose KO then we lack any proven top 6 wingers. That said, I think Bailey and Baptiste have the potential to be 20 goal scorers in the NHL.

I think we'll be damned fortunate if one of those two develops into a top 2 line winger on a playoff team.  We sure shouldn't count on it.

Nope. He's on a multiyear deal, so he can be signed exclusively starting July 1 right through to next July 1.

You seem to be thinking of the January 1 start of the signing period for a guy on a 1 year deal.

Got it; thanks for clearing that up.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.