What can we expect from GM Jason Botterill?

GASabresIUFAN

Is there a Pittsburgh way of doing things? I have been impressed at how well the Pens survive injuries and seem to continually find good depth at both end of the ice, especially up front.

Guys like Rust (3rd rd pick in 2010), Sheary, Guentzal (3rd rd pick in 2013), and Dumoulin (2nd rd pick in 2009) have all come up front the A and made significant contributions. They have alot in common. They all are college guys and all have spent at least a year in the A before being called up. Is this JB's depth development strategy? Can we expect this in Buffalo?

What else can we expect? Pitt has made many hockey trades to improve the team. Often with their D depth. Guys like Goligoski and Whitney were traded for Kunitz, Neal and Niskanen, and later traded Neal fpr Hornqvist. I love how they found guys who were bad fits in other organizations, but their scouts felt they'd work in the Pitt lineups. Trades for guys like Hagelin and Daley.

They also seem to keep most of their higher end picks while keeping their run going. They have made 14 first and second rd picks since 2009, although they have only made 1 1st rd pick in the last 4 years.

So how does this style apply to the Sabres?

Edited by GASabresFan

Totally agree.

IMO a lot of the rest is going to be a learning experience for us - we don't really know the degree of his involvement with things in Pittsburgh, so I don't think we can predict what kind of trades and players he goes for, and stuff like that. 

I'd still be willing to place money on him not being as willing to part with pieces as Murray was.

I think you will see an AGM in charge of player development, which includes managing the Amerks.

I think you will see another AGM in charge of "moneypuck" - managing the cap and targeting value contracts.

I think you will see a specific tone set for the organization on and off the ice and those who don't fit quietly being moved on.

I think you will see much less entertaining press conferences and fewer insights into what the GM is thinking.

I also like Botterill''s chances for identifying and acquiring an younger, undervalued Forbort/Murray type to play in the top four and an older Hainsey/Daley type to round out the top six. This has been a recent Pittsburgh forte.

Edited by dudacek

I think you will see an AGM in charge of player development, which includes managing the Amerks.

I think you will see another AGM in charge of "moneypuck" - managing the cap and targeting value contracts.

I think you will see a specific tone set for the organization on and off the ice and those who don't fit quietly being moved on.

I think you will see much less entertaining press conferences and fewer insights into what the GM is thinking.

I also like Botterill''s chances for identifying and acquiring an younger, undervalued Forbort/Murray type to play in the top four and an older Hainsey/Daley type to round out the top six. This has been a recent Pittsburgh forte.

Thought about this for a while.

This is very logical. No need for a PoHO with an AGM or two. The Sabres hit the ground running with an experienced GM and the GM hand picks the proteges and coach.

Fits the mold of successful hockey organizations, just skinning the cat a little different.

I expect the following:

- purge one or both of Moulson/Bogosian from the roster

- sign a top 5 UFA D

- replace the coaching staff in Rochester

- sign Lehner to a bridge deal

- do something with RFAs Foligno, Larsson, and Girgensons... don't just automatically give them new deals, they're part of the problem.

- pay Eichel and Kane

- acquire backup tendy, let Ullmark play another season in Roch

- draft BPA at 8 and/or use extra 2nd/3rd picks to move back up

- use more than 3 words at the draft podium

- bring in some bottom 6 Fs who can defend

- hire Clark Donatelli as HC

I expect a focus on drafting, the organization as a whole, and a more evened approach. Honestly though hard to gauge how aggressive he'll be having the actual keys to the kingdom so to speak.

I don't really understand this post.  Drafting and an even (flat and smooth) approach isn't what this team needs.  It needs a totally different mindset - mostly from the NHL head coach, a defense that needs to be rebuilt or assembled depending on how you define our D, decisions on Kane and probably goaltender and smart resolutions to some of the contracts not working in the teams favor.  The pending expansion team and who you expose is important in that you need to make sure the player you want taken by them - gets taken.

Moves need to be made so aggression will be needed.

Drafting is a process that often takes 3-4 years to see the benefits.  I know it's an important thing to keep the team replenished but that's not where we're at now. 

Edited by 7+6=13

I don't really understand this post. Drafting and an even (flat and smooth) approach isn't what this team needs. It needs a totally different mindset - mostly from the NHL head coach, a defense that needs to be rebuilt or assembled depending on how you define our D, decisions on Kane and probably goaltender and smart resolutions to some of the contracts not working in the teams favor. The pending expansion team and who you expose is important in that you need to make sure the player you want taken by them - gets taken.

Moves need to be made so aggression will be needed.

Drafting is a process that often takes 3-4 years to see the benefits. I know it's an important thing to keep the team replenished but that's not where we're at now.

By even approach I'm referring to not neglecting our defense. As far as aggressive GMs are concerned, I liked that about TM. Years of DR made me appreciate a new GM who is bold.

Rochester should most certainly improve over the next 2 seasons. Say what you want about JB but he did great work building a development system for players in the Pitt pipe line.

The coach, that is where my interest lay. What is the strategy given the talent you've just been handed? The previous coach failed, will the next one?

By even approach I'm referring to not neglecting our defense. As far as aggressive GMs are concerned, I liked that about TM. Years of DR made me appreciate a new GM who is bold.

He won't neglect the defense just as Murray didn't - mainly because it's the elephant in the room.  The difficulty will be making the correct decisions - that's what Murray did wrong.  I'm  confident that was a large part of what was discussed in the interview process.  Choosing a coach that through his philosophy can make the defense better than the limited physical ability and/or experience will be important.

I'm not sure if you guys know this but JB grew up in Winnipeg and has a sister (Jennifer) that had a stellar career with the Canandian National  Women's Hockey Team. His dad (Cal) is a sports psychologist and if I am not mistaken, used to work for the Rags organization.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.