What can we expect from GM Jason Botterill?

GASabresIUFAN

Is there a Pittsburgh way of doing things? I have been impressed at how well the Pens survive injuries and seem to continually find good depth at both end of the ice, especially up front.

Guys like Rust (3rd rd pick in 2010), Sheary, Guentzal (3rd rd pick in 2013), and Dumoulin (2nd rd pick in 2009) have all come up front the A and made significant contributions. They have alot in common. They all are college guys and all have spent at least a year in the A before being called up. Is this JB's depth development strategy? Can we expect this in Buffalo?

What else can we expect? Pitt has made many hockey trades to improve the team. Often with their D depth. Guys like Goligoski and Whitney were traded for Kunitz, Neal and Niskanen, and later traded Neal fpr Hornqvist. I love how they found guys who were bad fits in other organizations, but their scouts felt they'd work in the Pitt lineups. Trades for guys like Hagelin and Daley.

They also seem to keep most of their higher end picks while keeping their run going. They have made 14 first and second rd picks since 2009, although they have only made 1 1st rd pick in the last 4 years.

So how does this style apply to the Sabres?

XXL hats in the gift shop.

I think you will see an AGM in charge of player development, which includes managing the Amerks.

I think you will see another AGM in charge of "moneypuck" - managing the cap and targeting value contracts.

I think you will see a specific tone set for the organization on and off the ice and those who don't fit quietly being moved on.

I think you will see much less entertaining press conferences and fewer insights into what the GM is thinking.

I also like Botterill''s chances for identifying and acquiring an younger, undervalued Forbort/Murray type to play in the top four and an older Hainsey/Daley type to round out the top six. This has been a recent Pittsburgh forte.

Moneypuck is a term that needs to die.  I understand where it comes from but that word just doesn't translate into hockey well.

Moneypuck is a term that needs to die.  I understand where it comes from but that word just doesn't translate into hockey well.

Well that and moneyball was all about a strategy for a team that couldn't afford players in a sport without a salary cap. 

They broke the record for consecutive games won and turned a sht franchise into a legitimate contender, no?

Culminating in exactly one playoff series win.

I suppose it depends on where you put the goalposts. If the goal is to win the World Series, then it was a failure, ultimately. If the goal was to win as many games as possible while spending as little money as possible, then I supppose I'd agree it was a success. I guess.

Culminating in exactly one playoff series win.

I suppose it depends on where you put the goalposts. If the goal is to win the World Series, then it was a failure, ultimately. If the goal was to win as many games as possible while spending as little money as possible, then I supppose I'd agree it was a success. I guess.

I mean I'm not going to call a 100 win season a failure. Sure, ideally you want to win the championship every year, but not doing so doesn't mean a team outright fails, or the strategy they employed is a poor one

I mean I'm not going to call a 100 win season a failure. Sure, ideally you want to win the championship every year, but not doing so doesn't mean a team outright fails, or the strategy they employed is a poor one

I'll give Bean credit for doing the best he could with what he had to work with. It certainly worked, up to a certain level. I'll question his decision to publish a book detailing extensively exactly what he was doing and thereby erasing any advantage he had whatsoever to enrich himself. But whatevs.

I'll give Bean credit for doing the best he could with what he had to work with. It certainly worked, up to a certain level. I'll question his decision to publish a book detailing extensively exactly what he was doing and thereby erasing any advantage he had whatsoever to enrich himself. But whatevs.

I think by the time he released that book, the rest of the league had already caught on to it

The Pitt development model that JBot wants to run here raises some interesting questions about this all important off-season.

1) Where does Guhle play? I think he initially gets sent to Rochester. Since JBot was in charge of SWB, all their prospect went there for at least a season. I don't see why he'll make an exception for Guhle.

2) Of the young wingers, do any make the Sabres? Fasching, Smith, Nylander, Carrier, ERod, Baptiste, and Bailey could all compete for a NHL job in camp. I thought earlier that 3 would make the Sabres, but now I'm not so sure. Smith and Nylander are almost certainly Rochester bound. The remainder have shown little consistency when recalled. New system and new coaches, would it be better for them to start in Rochester? Or will we need a couple in Buffalo to fill out the roster?

3) I doubt Jbot trades the 8th pick, unless he moves down. Guys focused on internal development don't give away prime draft picks.

You've got to think Carrier is pencilled in. He's waiver eligible fits the mould and was fairly effective.

ERod, Fasching, Bailey and Baptiste need to be on the team next year or they start looking like busts (waivers again) so you'd think at least two Are expected to earn spots this year.

Only Carrier is waiver eligible next season and I agree he'll likely make the team. The others I'm not so sure. Erod was a college FA and looks like a AAAA guy. The others kind of remind me of the Pommers development track, Fasching especially with his lost year to injury. Baptiste is the one I think could make the jump, but I can see JBot wanting him to start in the A so that he can actually see his game. Fasching, Bailey and Baptiste are all still 21. I don't see the harm in them playing another year in the A.

One other note, if we re-sign all our RFA forwards we'll have 12 forwards under contract (including Carrier) without Bailey, Baptiste or Fasching in Buffalo.

I worded my post poorly. By next year for Fasching etc. I meant 2018/19.

I think that at least two of those guys need a significant look this year because the team won't want that many rookies the following year, especially when Guhle and Nylander are in that same mix of youth (though not waiver eligible)

We have a ton of young bodies coming into the system, a real logjam.

Theoretically under contract at the start of 2018 we could have all of:

Three years pro: Reinhart, Eichel, Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, Rodrigues, Nelson

Two: Malone, Smith, Martin, Karabacek, Cornel, Nylander

One: Antipin, Florentino, Petersen, Johanssen, Estephan, Stevens, Guhle

Rookies: Hurley, Olofsson, Borgen, Asplund, Pu, Fitzgerald, Hagel, Osmanski, #8 from this draft.

Considering you want at least 6-8 veterans in Rochester, that is far more bodies than space.

But it's what happens when you have 36 draft picks in four years, 18 in the first three rounds.

Some culling is definitely needed.

Edited by dudacek

So let me get this straight. The same people who wanted TM gone for not making the playoffs this year are giving Bottlerockets a year to evaluate talent?  Because these kids need to figure prominently in 2017 for the Sabres to make the post season.  We do not have the cap or draft picks to shop in the market for ufas.  

So let me get this straight. The same people who wanted TM gone for not making the playoffs this year are giving Bottlerockets a year to evaluate talent? Because these kids need to figure prominently in 2017 for the Sabres to make the post season. We do not have the cap or draft picks to shop in the market for ufas.

Not sure if I'm reading you right, but I think at least three of Carrier Bailey Baptiste Fasching Nylander and Rodrigues should be in Buffalo on opening night in October or traded for someone who is. Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.