What can we expect from GM Jason Botterill?

GASabresIUFAN

I'm not sure if you guys know this but JB grew up in Winnipeg and has a sister (Jennifer) that had a stellar career with the Canandian National Women's Hockey Team. His dad (Cal) is a sports psychologist and if I am not mistaken, used to work for the Rags organization.

Hmm, didn't know that but cool hockey trivia.

If he changes coaches in Rochester, i wonder if he will look at Chris Taylor as a replacement for head coach in Rochester? Taylor is an assistant coach for Wilkes-Barre.

What a great observation.  Taylor a great Amerk with ties to JB.  Perfect.  

If an announcement doesn't come tomorrow, I have to question what the Pegulas are up to.

Finding a President to work with JB?

It be Botterill - Nashville series over - Fenton would've been announced by now. 

Not that I don't think its Botterill, but theres a chance that an announcement wasn't made because the NHL does not allow big announcements from teams while series are going on because they don't want it taking away from the playoffs and make teams wait til after all the series are over or til after the Cup is awarded.

If an announcement doesn't come tomorrow, I have to question what the Pegulas are up to.

Like I said above, the NHL may not allow announcements to be made yet

Further confirmation that JB is soon to be GMJB.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2017/05/11/jason-botterill-penguins-assistant-gm-buffalo-sabres-general-manager/stories/201705110128

Before that, he had been a scout with the Dallas Stars.

Botterill has been the team’s salary-cap guru most of his time with the Penguins and also served as general manager of their American Hockey League affiliate in Wilkes-Barre. The Baby Penguins qualified for the Calder Cup playoffs in each of his eight seasons at the helm.

Further confirmation that JB will improve the Amerks.  

I also expect him to go and grab some players he likes from the Pens, like TM did with Lehner.  Dumoulin could be a target.   

It will be interesting to see how he approaches the expansion draft.  I wonder how quickly he'll pull the trigger on his first deal or signing.  Based on the Pens love of mobile D (Letang, Goligoski, Niskanen etc..) I expect him to honor the deal with Antipin probably very soon.

I loved that JBot thinks winning starts with building a winning organization in the AHL. It not only teaches winning hockey, but almost guarantees a constant flow of NHL ready prospects.

So what is next for JBot and the Sabres?

Step 1: Evaluate the remaining front office people. The scouts, AGM, etc.... My guess is he initally keeps most of them. To hard to start from scratch with 4 weeks until expansion and the buyout period beginning, 5 weeks until the draft and 6 to the start of free agency.

Step 2: Internal player evaluation. Who fits his system and who doesn't both at the NHL, AHL and prospect pipeline. I think he'll find some great news here. Most of our top prospects should have the skills to play the possession game. Guys like Baptiste, Guhle and Nylander should be thrilled with the change.

Step 3: Begin reshaping the roster. Does he sign Antipin? When does Estephan get his ELC? What about Petersen? Does he go forward with the LV deal TM started? Which RFA's get qualified, signed and for how much? Which vets does he go after? How will he fix the D?

Step 4: Hire a coach. I like that he isn't going to force it, but is willing to wait to interview the candidates he thinks can coach the Pitt system.

Step 5: Get a GM and Coach for Rochester.

I suspect that if Antipin was in Botteril's plans, he'd have been signed already. 

Why? Botterill today just said how 90% of the teams are looking to add dmen and how hard it is to actually find a trading partner, meanwhile Antipin would cost just under a million dollars for one season. Not much risk in that.

Why? Botterill today just said how 90% of the teams are looking to add dmen and how hard it is to actually find a trading partner, meanwhile Antipin would cost just under a million dollars for one season. Not much risk in that.

Because Botteril's been in the fold for, what almost a week, and there is probably competition for Antipin.  I assume that if Antipin was important to Botteril he'd have insstructed the acting GM to get the contract done before another team swoops in.

I could be wrong, but if Antipin was in the plan I can't imagine they would risk losing him while waiting for the Pitt-Was series to end.

Because Botteril's been in the fold for, what almost a week, and there is probably competition for Antipin.  I assume that if Antipin was important to Botteril he'd have insstructed the acting GM to get the contract done before another team swoops in.

I could be wrong, but if Antipin was in the plan I can't imagine they would risk losing him while waiting for the Pitt-Was series to end.

He's playing in a tournament in Germany...

The deal could already be done and team decided not to annouce it until JBot was in the chair.

Also how long until we get his first move?  

Edited by GASabresFan

Desiring a successful AHL franchise is nothing new. GMTM said the same thing when he started. Not gonna happen overnight, I thought Roch got better as the season dragged on. It's inevitable they'll get better has they continue to stock the team with upper round picks.

I don't think he said everything starts with building a winning organization in the AHL.  I think he said constant development is a must from the NHL players, AHL players and elsewhere and if anything breaks in that line it doesn't work.  IMO everything starts with hiring a coach that can get the N and S game going with an emphasis on understanding how to get that done through Eichel and ROR.  Obviously I'm not saying that will be the first thing he does as there may be other decisions and getting ready for the draft that happens right now - but we can't wait until the shelves get stocked in the AHL to be ready to win.

Fred Flintstone was the first comparison that came to my mind.  Need to see JB with a 5 o'clock shadow for best comparison to adult Fred.  Looks a lot like young Fred however.

hqdefault.jpg

Only difference is JB would be tacking Dino when he comes home.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.