What can we expect from GM Jason Botterill?

GASabresIUFAN

For all of you who seem to think a healthy Kulikov is some great player and we need him back, please ask yourselves some of the following questions.

1) What is the best production we could expect if he stayed healthy and played well?  in 2015-16 he played 74gm w 1g 16a and 17pts.  He was also our most protected D last year.  Of the 6 starters he is the only one with a 50/50 split in O/D starts.  The other 5 are around 46/54.  

2) What will it cost?  He made $4.333 million last year.  What do you think he'd re-sign for? $3 mill?  Less?  Do you think that the production above will be worth the salary he'll want?

3) What role is he going to play?  Are you bringing him back for a 3rd pairing role or a 2nd pairing role?  

4) Can we get similar production for less money elsewhere?

If you answer these questions objectively, I think you'll find his production won't even come close to his salary demand.  This discussion is probably moot anyway because I sincerely doubt JBot will go down the same failed roads TM used. 

This.  I'm done with the Kulikov experiment.  Let's hope Asplund turns into something to save that trade.

I'm really interested in what kind of contract Kulikov gets next year.

I think he's better than he showed, but he was awful. And will his injury continue to affect him?

On the one hand teams are pressed tight against the cap. On the other, they are desperate for defencemen.

Will someone take a chance on a Mezsaros-like $4 million for one season? Is there any chance someone will gamble on a cheap long-term deal? Is he basically stuck with a a one-year deal at less than $2 million from someone in late August? KHL?

Whatever happens last season cost him a lot of money.

EDIT: be very surprised if there is any mutual interest between him and the Sabres.

Might be a nice reclamation project for Vegas.

Edited by dudacek

I don't really understand the Kulikov is garbage" theme. He was injured the entire time he was here. He has been demonstrably better than garbage previously when not injured. Not ever going to be a Norris candidate, but, and I can not possibly stress this enough, if not injured he can be a useful role player for the right price for some team in the NHL. Won't be the Sabres from the sounds of things, but such is life.

This.  I'm done with the Kulikov experiment.  Let's hope Asplund turns into something to save that trade.

Mark Pysyk: 82games, 4goals, 13assists on a better team then Buffalo last season.  Really wish we had kept that production, would have made the playoffs. 

The Sabres would not have made the playoffs with Pysyk instead of Kulikov, IMHO.

exactly my point. 

BTW I am fine with not re-signing Kulikov because I think he will want more money then he is worth, however I don't think we lost that trade. It may have helped get Bylsma and Murray both fired because Kulikov had that unfortunate injury. 

exactly my point. 

BTW I am fine with not re-signing Kulikov because I think he will want more money then he is worth, however I don't think we lost that trade. It may have helped get Bylsma and Murray both fired because Kulikov had that unfortunate injury. 

Sorry, my sarcasm detector needs a tuneup  :w00t:

Looks like Mark Pysyk had 3 primary assists in all situations. I don't think we lost the trade because of the value of the players. We lost the trade because Kulikov broke himself. Unfortunate. 

To put that in perspective, Fedun had 3 primary assists in all situations. 

Edited by LGR4GM

For all of you who seem to think a healthy Kulikov is some great player and we need him back, please ask yourselves some of the following questions.

1) What is the best production we could expect if he stayed healthy and played well?  in 2015-16 he played 74gm w 1g 16a and 17pts.  He was also our most protected D last year.  Of the 6 starters he is the only one with a 50/50 split in O/D starts.  The other 5 are around 46/54.  

2) What will it cost?  He made $4.333 million last year.  What do you think he'd re-sign for? $3 mill?  Less?  Do you think that the production above will be worth the salary he'll want?

3) What role is he going to play?  Are you bringing him back for a 3rd pairing role or a 2nd pairing role?  

4) Can we get similar production for less money elsewhere?

If you answer these questions objectively, I think you'll find his production won't even come close to his salary demand.  This discussion is probably moot anyway because I sincerely doubt JBot will go down the same failed roads TM used. 

I'm really interested in what kind of contract Kulikov gets next year.

I think he's better than he showed, but he was awful. And will his injury continue to affect him?

On the one hand teams are pressed tight against the cap. On the other, they are desperate for defencemen.

Will someone take a chance on a Mezsaros-like $4 million for one season? Is there any chance someone will gamble on a cheap long-term deal? Is he basically stuck with a a one-year deal at less than $2 million from someone in late August? KHL?

Whatever happens last season cost him a lot of money.

EDIT: be very surprised if there is any mutual interest between him and the Sabres.

Might be a nice reclamation project for Vegas.

I agree that it's likely that Kuli's salary demands will be too rich for the Sabres' blood (and for my taste as well, BTW), and that it's accordingly highly unlikely that he's back here -- but I also think the scenario in which he's unsigned in late summer and forced to take whatever someone will give him like Franson did is reasonably likely.

I'd gladly have him back on a 1-year, $2.5MM "prove it" deal.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.