Dear New Sabres GM, Please DO NOT,,.

BuffaloBorn

A New GM can be a very scary experience. Chiarelli traded Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson- for example. How would you feel?

My question to you is:

What do you, hope to God, DO NOT want the new GM to do??? As in, if it happened you'd be horrified, furious and overall demoralized.

The topic is NOT what you want the GM TO do, simply, what action would you NEVER want the GM to do?

Mine are:

1. -DON'T Trade Reinhart. Kid has the potential to be a near point-per-game player IMO. 2nd overall pick. I see him as a 30 goal 50 assist kind of guy, I believe he has underrated offensive potential but isn't flashy so some people's eye test may perceive he's worse than he actually is/will be.

2. -DON'T Trade Nylander. the kid has elite hands, skill-set, everything. This is a star dynamic offensive player that ANY GM would want. He's young, When Eichel and Reinhart are in their peak O'Rielly, Okposo, and even Kane will be getting up there. You need your prized young offensive player going forward to solidify the top 6 spot long-term IMO

3. -DON'T get rid of Kane. Underrated. Exactly the kind of payer you want in the play-offs. The exemplification. Take away his awful slump at the beginning of the season and his numbers look way better. He is gold. Keep him. F*** a top 4 D. It will come in the draft or by trading the 1st o.a pick. Think Nylander, O'Rielly Reinhart, and Eichel alone are enough star power in the top-6? Me thinks not.

4. -DON'T get rid of Foligno. Most character guy in the room. Best 4th line winger on a contender in the league.

5. -DON'T NOT upgrade the D. But DON'T burn valuable long-term assets. Self explanatory.

6. -DON'T make panic moves just because you're "the new GM and have to make the team better immediately."

Overall, don't be a GM with no vision. Think about sustainable long-term success.

What do you think?

Agree with all but #3.  I don't think Kane wants to be in small market Buffalo so he will be gone after next year.  May as well get something for him now after a good season.  I dont think we will be that good next year anyway so Kane's 30 goals will mean little.

Agree with all but #3.  I don't think Kane wants to be in small market Buffalo so he will be gone after next year.  May as well get something for him now after a good season.  I dont think we will be that good next year anyway so Kane's 30 goals will mean little.

Kane is off to vegas with bogo :p

A New GM can be a very scary experience. Chiarelli traded Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson- for example. How would you feel?

My question to you is:

What do you, hope to God, DO NOT want the new GM to do??? As in, if it happened you'd be horrified, furious and overall demoralized.

The topic is NOT what you want the GM TO do, simply, what action would you NEVER want the GM to do?

Mine are:

1. -DON'T Trade Reinhart. Kid has the potential to be a near point-per-game player IMO. 2nd overall pick. I see him as a 30 goal 50 assist kind of guy, I believe he has underrated offensive potential but isn't flashy so some people's eye test may perceive he's worse than he actually is/will be.

2. -DON'T Trade Nylander. the kid has elite hands, skill-set, everything. This is a star dynamic offensive player that ANY GM would want. He's young, When Eichel and Reinhart are in their peak O'Rielly, Okposo, and even Kane will be getting up there. You need your prized young offensive player going forward to solidify the top 6 spot long-term IMO

3. -DON'T get rid of Kane. Underrated. Exactly the kind of payer you want in the play-offs. The exemplification. Take away his awful slump at the beginning of the season and his numbers look way better. He is gold. Keep him. F*** a top 4 D. It will come in the draft or by trading the 1st o.a pick. Think Nylander, O'Rielly Reinhart, and Eichel alone are enough star power in the top-6? Me thinks not.

4. -DON'T get rid of Foligno. Most character guy in the room. Best 4th line winger on a contender in the league.

5. -DON'T NOT upgrade the D. But DON'T burn valuable long-term assets. Self explanatory.

6. -DON'T make panic moves just because you're "the new GM and have to make the team better immediately."

Overall, don't be a GM with no vision. Think about sustainable long-term success.

What do you think?

I like Foligno, but he's overpaid to be a 4th line wing. If $NEWGM can get something for him, do it and replace with someone making $1 - 1.5M per year. You may say it's not that much, but do it a few times on the roster and suddenly you're at the cap and that $4M/yr D FA that'd put your team in a great spot is not affordable.

I like Foligno, but he's overpaid to be a 4th line wing. If $NEWGM can get something for him, do it and replace with someone making $1 - 1.5M per year. You may say it's not that much, but do it a few times on the roster and suddenly you're at the cap and that $4M/yr D FA that'd put your team in a great spot is not affordable.

If Kane and D-Lo are gone, who will be the spine of the Sabres if Foligno goes?

It may be difficult upgrading defense without upsetting your do not list. For the right deal I would trade anyone not named O'Reilly, Eichel, Kyle O, or Risto. My hard to trade but?????? Reinhart and Kane. Everyone else give me a call we can talk.

It may be difficult upgrading defense without upsetting your do not list. For the right deal I would trade anyone not named O'Reilly, Eichel, Kyle O, or Risto. My hard to trade but?????? Reinhart and Kane. Everyone else give me a call we can talk.

I'm with you on your 4 untradeables, Radar.  The rest will depend on the next GM.  What is our identity?  Murray said he wanted big and fast but drafted  for skill.  Not sure we have much grit on the team now or on  the farm. Will the next GM want more Carrier's, more Nylander's or more Bailey's?  

For the record, Chiarelli was not a "new" GM when he traded Hall. Did it in his second year after getting a feel for his team. Still a bad move but not an impulsive one.

How can you say it's a bad move.  Larson has been exactly what the Dr ordered for the D challenged Oilers.  He plays 20+ minutes a night, kills penalties and adds a little offense.  He isn't a D of the caliber that Hall is at forward, but Chiarelli had forwards to spare and not enough D.  This move is an important reason that Edm is in the playoffs and last I looked, Hall has done for the Devils exactly what he did for the Oilers.  Nothing.

How can you say it's a bad move.  Larson has been exactly what the Dr ordered for the D challenged Oilers.  He plays 20+ minutes a night, kills penalties and adds a little offense.  He isn't a D of the caliber that Hall is at forward, but Chiarelli had forwards to spare and not enough D.  This move is an important reason that Edm is in the playoffs and last I looked, Hall has done for the Devils exactly what he did for the Oilers.  Nothing.

While I agree that Larsson has been key for the Oilers and that the trade was worth it, I have a tough time putting any kind of blame on Hall for the Devils' situation. He was the only player on that team that could generate any type of offense with any type of regularity. The roster that team has is putrid and nobody could bring that team to success by themselves, especially from the winger position. 

Don't overspend in FA on guys who don't fit what were trying to do just because our owner gives you free reign to do it, Murray has made some really good FA pickups (Gionta, Okposo) but has really struck out hard on others (Moulson, Gorges, Ennis, Koulikov). I'd like to see the new GM take guys that fit exactly what were going to do scheme-wise, I really didn't see that with Murray.

I find this thread humorous. There was significant fury on this board to change the coach because the style wasn't working. The owner flushes everything because in his mind the whole thing wasn't working. Now we want the new guy to come in and continue what the owner perceives as not working? I don't think that is how it works. The new guy will evaluate the talent based on the vision he sells to TPegs. If it is not here to execute the vision he will go and get it and I think only Jack and the nmc contracts are safe.

Talking about KO, if he can't play hockey never again, that contract might be useful for Vegas to reach the cap floor the first year.

Nah, he'd go on LTIR and wouldn't really count towards the cap. I hope KO is doing well and I hope he's healthy.

Please don't play Sam Reinhart at wing during 5v5 hockey... ever.

Nah, he'd go on LTIR and wouldn't really count towards the cap. I hope KO is doing well and I hope he's healthy.

Please don't play Sam Reinhart at wing during 5v5 hockey... ever.

Fyi, LTIR doesn't kick in until you reach the cap ceiling and we still owe the paycheck. Unless TM insured the deal, the Sabres are on the hook for serious money.

Mostly, I hope the new GM brings the kids up and lets them learn. No more trying to acclerate the rebuild. Draft well and develop. Only exception, is bring in a top 3 D.

Fyi, LTIR doesn't kick in until you reach the cap ceiling and we still owe the paycheck. Unless TM insured the deal, the Sabres are on the hook for serious money.

Mostly, I hope the new GM brings the kids up and lets them learn. No more trying to acclerate the rebuild. Draft well and develop. Only exception, is bring in a top 3 D.

Right, let's not make the playoffs for a few more years and waste the prime of O'Reilly, Okposo, Kane......

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.