• Brisebois
    • Regier
    • Sabertooth
    • Pegula
    • Someone on SabreSpace
    • Guerin

Here's something interesting about Nashville:

Since 2010 they've drafted exactly four players who have played 100 NHL games:

First-round 2010 bust Austin Watson, slow-burning 2012 second-rounder Colton Scissons, lucky 2014 4th-rounder Viktor Arvidsson and the excellent (traded in a deal that will come back to haunt them) Seth Jones - the only defenceman in the bunch.

Remove Jones from the equation and their last seven drafts combined have given them 66 games on the blueline - 64 of those from 2010 6th rounder Anthony Bitetto.

In that span, the Sabres have picked 9 100-gamers, four of them on defence.

Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen, Zadorov, Grigorenko, Girgensons, McCabe, Armia and Pysyk.

Very interesting. Although I think we could attribute that to their lineup being much better than ours and either a) no need to rush people along or b) it's just a harder lineup to crack. They've also made trades to acquire some very good pieces.

Also since that time Milwaukee has had a vastly better record than Rochester -- so I would tend to believe their minor league team's lineup is also harder to get into and they build slowly.

If this Fenton guy has been the mastermind, then this is a positive.

Here's something interesting about Nashville:

Since 2010 they've drafted exactly four players who have played 100 NHL games:

First-round 2010 bust Austin Watson, slow-burning 2012 second-rounder Colton Scissons, lucky 2014 4th-rounder Viktor Arvidsson and the excellent (traded in a deal that will come back to haunt them) Seth Jones - the only defenceman in the bunch.

Remove Jones from the equation and their last seven drafts combined have given them 66 games on the blueline - 64 of those from 2010 6th rounder Anthony Bitetto.

In that span, the Sabres have picked 9 100-gamers, four of them on defence.

Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen, Zadorov, Grigorenko, Girgensons, McCabe, Armia and Pysyk.

Talk about selective analysis.  Of you 9 players, only 4 made a real impact on the Sabres and other then McCabe the rest were lottery picks, and only 2 were selected by the recently dismissed management team and they were both top 2 picks.

You also ignore the 5 players they got out of the 2009 draft including core players Smith, Ekholm and Ellis, plus Latta who they gave up to help get Forsberg.  You ignore Vesey as well.  You also ignore their near ready prospects like Carrier, Garard, Aberg etc.  So how about 2009 to now?  Nashville has 9 100 games players plus Fiala and Vesey who will get to 100 games early next season.  We have 12.  You also ignore drafted core players like Josi, and Wilson. Ultimately drafting and developing is about building a team. 9 of their 18 top skaters and both goalies are home grown talent.  We have 8, including Carrier.

Using your 2010 number, Nashville has had 4 1st and 8 2nds in that period while continuing to be a competitive team.  We have had 9 1sts and 9 2nds during that period and most of those were higher end picks than Nashvilles and missed the playoffs for the last 6 seasons.  Their average 1st picks during that period was 25th and ours 10th.  We should have more players, but surprisingly the quality of our pipelines are about the same and their team is infinitely better.  

Under ex-GMTM and outside lottery picks Eichel and Reinhart, have we done any better in 2014, 2015 & 2016 they they have?  I'd say we have done worse.  We have one near ready D prospect in Guhle, and top 7 pick Nylander who is at least a year away from being ready.  What about Nashville?  They have Arvidsson (who is only 13 pts behind Reinhart in the same draft class but 110 picks later) in their lineup, Fiala working his way in, plus 2014 4th rd pick Carrier (39 pts in the A last year) ready on defense, 2 rising stars on D Girard and Fabbro and 2014 2nd rd pick Kamenev (51 pts in the A last season) ready for an NHL job.

Their GM traded for Subban, Forsberg and Johansen, giving up Latta, Jones, Erat & Weber, while creating a tough playoff team for $69 mill cap hit.  

Our former GM traded for Bogo, ROR, Kane & Kulikov giving up Pysyk, Grigorenko, Armia, Zadorov, Myers, plus prospects and high drafts picks for the 5th worst team in the NHL for $72 cap.  Isn't this the most telling stat of all?????

So what does Fenton have his hand in? Everything. He runs the Admirals whom make the playoffs every year.  The manages the pro and amateur scouts and is involved in personnel decisions in Nash according the TBN. Also is a former NHL player and scout.

Edited by GASabresFan

GA -- very good info on the Preds in your post, but the question isn't how does Nashville's drafting compare to Buffalo's -- it should be better than Buffalo's, because the Sabres stink -- the question is whether Nashville's drafting is good relative to that of the NHL's good organizations.

Serious question: how much credit should Fenton get for Nashville's deep, talented blueline? Didn't they keep drafting BPAs who happened to be defensemen, most of whom developed really well?

To be fair, similar questions can be asked of all these guys. We're all just trying to piece this stuff together with no knowledge of each team's internal dynamics. For instance, you've made it known you want someone from a team with playoff success, but how much credit should assistants get for that? We can look at Pittsburgh's acquisitions of Kessel, Hagelin, and Daley as helping put them over the top last year, but we have no clue how much of a role Botterill or Guerin played in those decisions being made.

Dreger on TSN 690

Dreger: #Sabres' GM search "could be remedied as early as tomorrow. That's the information I was given yesterday." 1/2 690

So we have 'nothing imminent' to 'remedied (today)'.  Good lord......

Maybe it's the Bills process he was talking about....Things get confusing for the Pegulas......probably not sure who they fired recently and what openings they have

:lol: This is well played.

Talk about selective analysis. Of you 9 players, only 4 made a real impact on the Sabres and other then McCabe the rest were lottery picks, and only 2 were selected by the recently dismissed management team and they were both top 2 picks.

You also ignore the 5 players they got out of the 2009 draft including core players Smith, Ekholm and Ellis, plus Latta who they gave up to help get Forsberg. You ignore Vesey as well. You also ignore their near ready prospects like Carrier, Garard, Aberg etc. So how about 2009 to now? Nashville has 9 100 games players plus Fiala and Vesey who will get to 100 games early next season. We have 12. You also ignore drafted core players like Josi, and Wilson. Ultimately drafting and developing is about building a team. 9 of their 18 top skaters and both goalies are home grown talent. We have 8, including Carrier.

Using your 2010 number, Nashville has had 4 1st and 8 2nds in that period while continuing to be a competitive team. We have had 9 1sts and 9 2nds during that period and most of those were higher end picks than Nashvilles and missed the playoffs for the last 6 seasons. Their average 1st picks during that period was 25th and ours 10th. We should have more players, but surprisingly the quality of our pipelines are about the same and their team is infinitely better.

Under ex-GMTM and outside lottery picks Eichel and Reinhart, have we done any better in 2014, 2015 & 2016 they they have? I'd say we have done worse. We have one near ready D prospect in Guhle, and top 7 pick Nylander who is at least a year away from being ready. What about Nashville? They have Arvidsson (who is only 13 pts behind Reinhart in the same draft class but 110 picks later) in their lineup, Fiala working his way in, plus 2014 4th rd pick Carrier (39 pts in the A last year) ready on defense, 2 rising stars on D Girard and Fabbro and 2014 2nd rd pick Kamenev (51 pts in the A last season) ready for an NHL job.

Their GM traded for Subban, Forsberg and Johansen, giving up Latta, Jones, Erat & Weber, while creating a tough playoff team for $69 mill cap hit.

Our former GM traded for Bogo, ROR, Kane & Kulikov giving up Pysyk, Grigorenko, Armia, Zadorov, Myers, plus prospects and high drafts picks for the 5th worst team in the NHL for $72 cap. Isn't this the most telling stat of all?????

So what does Fenton have his hand in? Everything. He runs the Admirals whom make the playoffs every year. The manages the pro and amateur scouts and is involved in personnel decisions in Nash according the TBN. Also is a former NHL player and scout.

Yse, we all know Nashville has been a better managed team than Buffalo. ???? Edited by dudacek

More from Dreger

Dreger: "It feels like Botterill is the guy, but they're still kind of going through the process." #Sabres #Pens

Looking forward to another AP report from Wawrow today saying that nothing is happening. 

Sergeant-Schultz.jpg?1453770589

Maybe it's the Bills process he was talking about....Things get confusing for the Pegulas......probably not sure who they fired recently and what openings they have

When ESPN tweeted out Buffalo requested to interview Brandon Beane the Panthers AGM, Craig Custance response was "I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how the Florida Panthers had a Asst GM I have never heard of"

When ESPN tweeted out Buffalo requested to interview Brandon Beane the Panthers AGM, Craig Custance response was "I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how the Florida Panthers had a Asst GM I have never heard of"

:lol:

One city, Two teams, one hot mess.

Edited by sodbuster

Why are you so against Botterill?  I personally think he would be a good choice.

Not against him really, just so unenthusiastic about it. Dipping back into that Pitt well again, and Fenton and Dubas are just so much more attractive to me

Not against him really, just so unenthusiastic about it. Dipping back into that Pitt well again, and Fenton and Dubas are just so much more attractive to me

I really wanted Dubas as well. Fenton probably would have guaranteed Housley coming as well.

John Shannon was on GR and mentioned that Dubas is probably not ready, which was why Lou was brought in.

The Pegulas reached out to Marty Brodeur and he was not interested.

TPegs to Fenton:  "We really like what you bring, but unfortunately we've filled the position you were interviewing for.  As luck would have it though, another opening just popped up.  What do you know about football?"

Sabretooth with 3 votes, impressive.

Does anyone know his/her take on the defensive depth? Also, how do they interpret Kane's value to the community?

Expansion draft philosophy? Do they prefer knights or nights?

I may be switching my vote if Sabretooth confirms a strong belief that WNY pigs in the blanket are actually cabbage rolls.

I need to know his religious affiliations before I can get behind him.