Locker Clean Out Day / Presser

WildCard

More from Jack - “I think guys want to win,” Eichel said Monday, “but there’s a difference between saying you want to win and actually wanting to win and putting the work in and dedicating your life to it.”[/size]

Guys he was not talking about:

ROR, McCabe, Ristolainen, Gorges

Guys he was:

Moulson, Kulikov, Deslauriers, Bogosian, Franson,

Curious to see where the others fall, particularly his buddies Sam and Evander, the Rochester kids, and the captain.

Guys he was:

Curious to see where the others fall, particularly his buddies Sam and Evander, the Rochester kids, and the captain.

I agree with your first list, but from the 2nd, what more can you ask of a guy like Deslauriers? He doesn't have the skill to score 10 goals per year in this league even with 20 minutes of ice time per night, let alone 6 minutes.  What about guys like Ennis or Girgensons, guys who have the talent but for some reason have fallen off the face of the Earth.  Maybe Ennis gets a pass because of injuries, but what has happened to Zemgus?  He's gone from "future captain" to 4th liner.

Compare to ROR's low-key, mumbling, indecipherable player-speak. He said he had a terrible season, by the way, and had no problem with too much ice time. He said he'd like to play 60 minutes if he could.

Second highest point total on the team, and a -1 in the +/- with heavy minutes opposite opponents' top lines?  Don't be so hard on yourself, ROR.  Leadership-wise, I was a bit disappointed, but I certainly think he carried his weight.  And despite his protestations, his minutes need to be reduced.  He was clearly not as effective late in the season.

My summation:

Kane

We didn't perform our best individually

We didn't prepare our best individually

Came back to early from injury

Sabres need more "bite and grit" in their game

Gorges

Need to be more consistently doing things the right way

We need to grow up a little bit

Coach and system is not an issue

If you're gonna be in the NHL you better be able to understand the system or you shouldn't be here.

You shouldn't need a boost to play the game

Trade? meh, I'm not quitting

Lehner (pissed as per usual)

Need string of wins, play 60 minutes

The open, back and forth game didn't work, keep it simple like other winning teams

We gave away wins, they weren't taken from us

Risto

Not enough win streaks, many ups and downs

D? - too many shots on our net

Fine with ice time, wants more

Reinhart

Not satisfied with his numbers

Team: Not consistent intensity

We could learn a lot from the PP for 5-5 play

Gionta

Team: Better mindset needed

Need more maturity and fall back on foundation, never established "foundation" style

All on players! Need to perfect all the little habits so that it's second nature

O'Reilly

A lot needs to change with each guy, accountability

Personally, be better leader, more vocal, consistent

Ice time not an issue, wants to play all 60

On maturity: tough to say "how to play the right way", finding the way to "play with success"

Coach is fine, changed a bit more aggressive towards the end

Gionta is awesome

Foligno

Thought he was consistent

Needs to play at the level of his linemates, whether 3rd or top line, change his play accordingly

They never jumped on the opportunity to  move up in the standings

Ennis

Paraphrase "players need to look in the mirror"

Inconsistency is on players and coaches, whole organization

Need better mindset "what it takes to be a champ"

Eichel (in a "I'm just here so I won't get fined" attitude)

Ups and downs

Not happy being under a point/game

They didn't execute the coaches plan

Missed Okposo

Feels he hasn't scratched the surface on where he could be

Paraphrase: Some guys are just passengers on this team. If you aren't dedicated to being the best NHL player ever, get the f off my team.

Chz

Doesn't take a genius to see the issues here.

I'm not bashing him at all but I thought Jack showed his age in the interview.   I'll say the questions were small minded - which I know doesn't surprise anyone.  If you want to get to know the kid ask questions that make sense for him to answer.  I don't think he came off as arrogant or an a-hole but he seemed irritated as if we got knocked out of the playoffs last night - so there should have been ample time to not be that uncomfortable.  The only other thing I can think of is his frustration is lingering because he would like to A see some players gone or B players and the coach.

Jack strikes me as someone that wants all his communication to be in his preparation, on the ice and between his teammates.  He might grow into the captains role but I think he'd prefer to let someone else take that role and he'd be an A. 

I'm also just about sick of Lehner.  The guy rarely talks about his deficiencies but loves to spout off about how his teammates played.  He consistently takes questions and turns it into how the team plays.  I translate that into blaming the players in front of him.  Let's hear about how you've identified the need to work on your lack of anticipation and lateral movement and how many odd goals go in because you don't know where the puck is and how your glove side is attacked by the opposing team.

I think Brad May eluded to it last night.  There's goalies teammates don't enjoy playing for.  I think Robin may be one of those goalies. 

Edited by 7+6=13

Thanks for putting this together, Chz. The one comment that jumps out at me:

Gionta
Need more maturity and fall back on foundation, never established "foundation" style

Whether it's due to Dan's system sucking, or being too complicated, or the players not mature enough, or not enough continuity or WHATEVER, this sums up this season perfectly.

I wonder what the fans in general are thinking. I've always thought in general sports talk shows and forums such as this have more passion and probably more negativity than maybe the general or more broad based fans as a whole. If the overall fan base is representative of what is expressed here the Pegula honeymoon is not only over, it's now a nasty divorce.

I wouldn't go that far.  I said a week or two ago:  Pegula isn't a great owner, but by all appearances he is a dedicated owner.  I think as long as he owns Buffalo sports teams, they will remain in Buffalo.  I think he's an upgrade from Golisano in terms of desire, but still hasn't figured out what he needs to do to create a winner.

Yeah, maybe the honeymoon is over, but divorce?  Bah.  That's funny.  Part of marriage is getting used to the shortcomings of your mate.  I think we've seen Pegula's warts as an owner.  He needs to improve and I think he's trying.  I'm willing to roll with it for now.

Thanks for putting this together, Chz. The one comment that jumps out at me:

Whether it's due to Dan's system sucking, or being too complicated, or the players not mature enough, or not enough continuity or WHATEVER, this sums up this season perfectly.

In the context of the the question asked "How do you build on the wins when faced with losses" (or something like that), I think he meant more along the lines of, you build it, get wins, you lose and don't give up. fall back to the most recent win (not necessarily your first game "foundation") and build the house from there.

I wouldn't go that far.  I said a week or two ago:  Pegula isn't a great owner, but by all appearances he is a dedicated owner.  I think as long as he owns Buffalo sports teams, they will remain in Buffalo.  I think he's an upgrade from Golisano in terms of desire, but still hasn't figured out what he needs to do to create a winner.

Yeah, maybe the honeymoon is over, but divorce?  Bah.  That's funny.  Part of marriage is getting used to the shortcomings of your mate.  I think we've seen Pegula's warts as an owner.  He needs to improve and I think he's trying.  I'm willing to roll with it for now.

We stayed an extra year in tank mode to land Eich or McD.  How can anyone rationalize being totally done with the team 2 seasons after? 

Pegula's warts?  He buys a team almost completely void of any proven high end talent.  FF to now and the opposite is true.  Now it's about figuring out how to put everything together so it works and fans are done waiting.  I don't get it.

In the context of the the question asked "How do you build on the wins when faced with losses" (or something like that), I think he meant more along the lines of, you build it, get wins, you lose and don't give up. fall back to the most recent win (not necessarily your first game "foundation") and build the house from there.

Whatever, they never seemed to settle into the system.

I think DD's system is one that looks good against some teams, but is easily dismantled by other teams.  So when the Sabres got a favorable matchup and moved their feet, they won.  But too many times either they weren't moving their feet or the other team's system disrupted what DD wanted them to do.

Edited by Doohickie

The bickering Bills got nuthin on these guys.

This team is a hot mess. GMTM may be an astute judge of hockey talent, but I dont think he is a team builder either.

PA, I think, had this theme going in another thread.

I coined the Sabres ... The Squabbling Sabres.  It seems to work.

Go watch the YouTube clip I posted in the "Who is that woman?" thread. After Briere's OT goal against the Canes, we see Tom standing there with his hands on his head, in disbelief. I might have been doing the same thing. From all accounts I've heard, including from Terry himself, he's a very laid back, not too high, not too low, fan. He would more likely be sitting after Briere's goal, sipping some red wine. At his farewell presser, Golisano talked about how few games he had missed in the years he owned the team. I'd put Tom's desire up against Terry's.

We stayed an extra year in tank mode to land Eich or McD.  How can anyone rationalize being totally done with the team 2 seasons after? 

Pegula's warts?  He buys a team almost completely void of any proven high end talent.  FF to now and the opposite is true.  Now it's about figuring out how to put everything together so it works and fans are done waiting.  I don't get it.

Well, the high-end talent that Pegula inherited did help bring the high-end talent they have now.

Edited by PASabreFan

My summation:

Kane

Gorges

If you're gonna be in the NHL you better be able to understand the system or you shouldn't be here.

The open, back and forth game didn't work, keep it simple like other winning teams

Risto

Reinhart

Gionta

All on players! Need to perfect all the little habits so that it's second nature

O'Reilly

On maturity: tough to say "how to play the right way", finding the way to "play with success"

Gionta is awesome

Foligno

Needs to play at the level of his linemates, whether 3rd or top line, change his play accordingly

They never jumped on the opportunity to  move up in the standings

Ennis

Ups and downs

Missed Okposo

Paraphrase: Some guys are just passengers on this team. If you aren't dedicated to being the best NHL player ever, get the f off my team.Chz

A bunch of politicians there

Go watch the YouTube clip I posted in the "Who is that woman?" thread. After Briere's OT goal against the Canes, we see Tom standing there with his hands on his head, in disbelief. I might have been doing the same thing. From all accounts I've heard, including from Terry himself, he's a very laid back, not too high, not too low, fan. He would more likely be sitting after Briere's goal, sipping some red wine. At his farewell presser, Golisano talked about how few games he had missed in the years he owned the team. I'd put Tom's desire up against Terry's.

Well, the high-end talent that Pegula inherited did help bring the high-end talent they have now.

I sat in the section next to TPegs at the Flyers playoff game, his first year owning the team. He was far from inanimate.

My summation:

Kane

Gorges

Risto

Reinhart

Gionta

O'Reilly

Gionta is awesome

Foligno

They never jumped on the opportunity to move up in the standings

Ennis

Ups and downs

Missed Okposo

Paraphrase: Some guys are just passengers on this team. If you aren't dedicated to being the best NHL player ever, get the f off my team.

Chz

Thanks for the synopsis. No time today to watch.

This team is a disaster. It's clear the division runs deep. Even if you don't blame Bylsma it's clear that he has no chance in regaining the room. My friend works in the restaurant business in Amherst and says that certain groups of players will not dine there if another group of their own teammates are there.

How do you fix that? Frustrating beyond belief. If DB is truly coming back he's done by the holidays with the team 11 points out of a playoff spot. F me.

I sat in the section next to TPegs at the Flyers playoff game, his first year owning the team. He was far from inanimate.

Thanks for that. Good to know.

There are many legitimate sticks with which to beat current ownership. Why you insist on fashioning your own weird ones is beyond me.

It's how Terry describes himself. It may not indicate a lack of desire per se, just a lack of outward passion. Mainly I was defending Tom from the sense that he didn't care about the team.

By the way, I can't wait until they post the Eichel video and I can see what a 'clearly furious" Eichel looks like. I suspect he's going to look like he always looks, slighty annoyed to have to be speaking, but we'll see.

He doesn't look clearly furious. He looks clearly irked or annoyed. Someone needs to tell him that it's not a good look. I asked the same question of GMTM a while back: what has Eichel done in the NHL to get to display that kind of 'tude?

Thanks for that. Good to know.

It's how Terry describes himself. It may not indicate a lack of desire per se, just a lack of outward passion. Mainly I was defending Tom from the sense that he didn't care about the team.

He doesn't look clearly furious. He looks clearly irked or annoyed. Someone needs to tell him that it's not a good look. I asked the same question of GMTM a while back: what has Eichel done in the NHL to get to display that kind of 'tude?

Finishing 11th in the league in points per game, when he probably wasn't 100% until February? Having one of the best 20-year old seasons in NHL history? Kid's a superstar and one of the premier offensive forces in the league. I'm tired of people selling him short because he's young, or not McDavid, or maybe because psychologically we're not used to having nice things.

Thanks for the synopsis. No time today to watch.

This team is a disaster. It's clear the division runs deep. Even if you don't blame Bylsma it's clear that he has no chance in regaining the room. My friend works in the restaurant business in Amherst and says that certain groups of players will not dine there if another group of their own teammates are there.

How do you fix that? Frustrating beyond belief. If DB is truly coming back he's done by the holidays with the team 11 points out of a playoff spot. F me.

Dorsia? 

How does that even work?   They call ahead and ask if Lehner is there, and then cancel their res?  

Guys he was:

I'd add Foligno and Girgensons to that list of guys he was talking about.    Maybe even Samson.... being late for team meetings shows lack of commitment.

Yep.  Fan expectations were way out of line going into this season.    IMO 2015-16 was a fluke, riding high on the Eichel wave.    They've come down off that high and never got right mentally after he came back.    Still a lot of dead weight to shed.

That said, I didn't hear a single player remotely suggest the issue was with Bylsma.    In fact, I heard quite the opposite.   How can there be such a disconnect between players and fans?  Hahaha.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.