Reinhart Dressed and Benched; Late to Meeting

WildCard

I think if the punishment was postponed it would not have the same impact.

Sam and other players would see, well rules are rules, but only some of the time, so maybe I'll take my chances.

I disagree. If they postponed the punishment, there would still be a ten page thread about how dumb Bylsma is.

Its goona be long off season as nfreeman declared... oof. So I guess we have two camps here.

1 Reinhardt is a witch because he floats like a duck and should be burned.

2 Reinhardt is a poor smuck who screwed up and just needs a St Marks nun to break a ruler over his wrists and be told God loves you

He isn't a dog. He won't think he has got away with it and then be confused when he is in the press box on Sunday. It would show that the team comes above any one player at all times, but that doesn't mean you will avoid doing penance for your crime.

Wanna bet?  (If I could I would bet a lot).

He is barely out of his teens, they all try to get away with something and watch out if they do.

:rolleyes:

Well, I suppose the eye roll thingie is better than calling him a troll.

I was going to let your post go until your last couple of sentences.

You are misrepresenting my views, if the rule is a game suspension, so be it.  I wouldn't make it that severe if I was HC/GM, but, it is what it is.

My issue, is applying discretion and flexibility and use some common sense and judgment and delay punishment until Sunday when you can dress/skate 18 and have Reinhart sit in press box.

Not sure why you can't respond to that specific argument instead of making up a different one.

I disagree w/ that. Delaying the punishment would make the entire episode arbitrary &/or capricious.

I'd rather see them tell the team that BECAUSE of the Okposo illness & the league rule for 18 skaters dressing that Reinhart's suspension would be reduced to 1 period.

Yes, I get that that would be causing Murray &/or Bylsma to not follow through on what they'd said they would do. In this case that would be warranted.

On a certain level, I am impressed that they stuck to their word. Speaking as a coach & a dad, that isn't always easy to do but it is necessary.

On a deeper level, it is troubling that they came up with a consequence (sitting on the bench the whole game) for an action they wished to see their players avoid (showing up late to practice) that ended up appearing to be at least an order of magnitude worse than the infraction a mere 24 hours after introducing the consequence.

My own personal rule: pick a consequence that is proportional to the severity of the behavior/action that is trying to be "coached away from," NEVER propose a consequence for an action/behavior that I am not prepared to enforce & enforce the consequence if the action/behavior occurs.

So, basically it's good they stuck to their word, but it's bad that they appear to have put little thought into what they said.

I disagree w/ that. Delaying the punishment would make the entire episode arbitrary &/or capricious.

I'd rather see them tell the team that BECAUSE of the Okposo illness & the league rule for 18 skaters dressing that Reinhart's suspension would be reduced to 1 period.

Yes, I get that that would be causing Murray &/or Bylsma to not follow through on what they'd said they would do. In this case that would be warranted.

On a certain level, I am impressed that they stuck to their word. Speaking as a coach & a dad, that isn't always easy to do but it is necessary.

On a deeper level, it is troubling that they came up with a consequence (sitting on the bench the whole game) for an action they wished to see their players avoid (showing up late to practice) that ended up appearing to be at least an order of magnitude worse than the infraction a mere 24 hours after introducing the consequence.

My own personal rule: pick a consequence that is proportional to the severity of the behavior/action that is trying to be "coached away from," NEVER propose a consequence for an action/behavior that I am not prepared to enforce & enforce the consequence if the action/behavior occurs.

So, basically it's good they stuck to their word, but it's bad that they appear to have put little thought into what they said.

These are the words I hadn't found yet.

Unsurprisingly, I find Pi's demands for perfection to be wholly unreasonable and quite over the top. One can be late, by five minutes, one time, and not have it reflect upon their character or level of professionalism. Holy moly.

Yup.

I'm just hoping 3 or 4 of them don't sleep in one day............. the corresponding thread in this and the other infinite parallel universes would be ..... well..... infinite.

Yeah I don't really care that Sam was late and I don't really care what the punishment was but the mental gymnastics posters are going through trying to justify their stance on the matter is nauseating. There are posts in this thread longer than the last 5 years of my cumulative posts. Get a grip already.

Yeah I don't really care that Sam was late and I don't really care what the punishment was but the mental gymnastics posters are going through trying to justify their stance on the matter is nauseating. There are posts in this thread longer than the last 5 years of my cumulative posts. Get a grip already.

I think a lot of us might have a soft spot for Reinhart because his career has been mismanaged by this organization to date and this coach continues to ask him to do things that are inconsistent with his skill set and jerks him around the lineup.  The guy has kept his mouth shut and has been a team player through it all.  Maybe we've hit our breaking point with this coach and this is that proverbial straw.

I think a lot of us might have a soft spot for Reinhart because his career has been mismanaged by this organization to date and this coach continues to ask him to do things that are inconsistent with his skill set and jerks him around the lineup.  The guy has kept his mouth shut and has been a team player through it all.  Maybe we've hit our breaking point with this coach and this is that proverbial straw.

But it was Murray who laid down the law.

O.K. i'll say it again. I said it upthread and nobody ( not you nobody ) thought it worthy of an answer.

Its game 7 of the finals against Calgary 2019. Morning yoga Eichel ( our star and front runner for the Conn Smythe ) sleeps in and is 15 minutes late. Because GMTM and double D thought it wise to etch the rules in stone ( black and white ) instead of leaving wiggle room ( grey ) they have no choice but to sit our star ( Eichel ) for the game. They've painted themselves into a corner. What say you ? Its their rule not mine I'm just offering an example of where this can go off the rails for the hardasses like ahem, ( sorry guys ) LTS and Pi . Thoughts ?

Edited by bunomatic

O.K. i'll say it again. I said it upthread and nobody ( not you nobody ) thought it worthy of an answer.

Its game 7 of the finals against Calgary 2019. Morning yoga Eichel ( our star and front runner for the Conn Smythe ) sleeps in and is 15 minutes late. Because GMTM and double D thought it wise to etch the rules in stone ( black and white ) instead of leaving wiggle room ( grey ) they have no choice but to sit our star ( Eichel ) for the game. They've painted themselves into a corner. What say you ? Its their rule not mine I'm just offering an example of where this can go off the rails for the hardasses like ahem, ( sorry guys ) LTS and Pi . Thoughts ?

I'll just say this. Can we please stop equating game seven of the SCFs with game 75 of a lost season? They are not the same,... By a lot.

I'll just say this. Can we please stop equating game seven of the SCFs with game 75 of a lost season? They are not the same,... By a lot.

Swamp you and I both know a rules a rule. Its black and white. Etched in stone. We can't have room to wiggle because that goes against the culture we're tryin to grow. A fourth liner and a star need to feel the punishment equally so we'll make it a game suspension. Heck what would people think if we treated people differently ? As individuals ? As adults ?

So it is the playoffs. Do they make up a new set of rules ? Do they suspend the rules ? Do guys not sleep in ? 

Just curious. I can't wait to see how its handled if and when it happens.

Swamp you and I both know a rules a rule. Its black and white. Etched in stone. We can't have room to wiggle because that goes against the culture we're tryin to grow. A fourth liner and a star need to feel the punishment equally so we'll make it a game suspension. Heck what would people think if we treated people differently ? As individuals ? As adults ?

So it is the playoffs. Do they make up a new set of rules ? Do they suspend the rules ? Do guys not sleep in ? 

I love you Bu....  :worthy:

I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

It is, right? Sarcasm? Yes, I mean, it's got to be sarcasm, right? Please?

If my star is late for a team anything on game 7 of the SCF, he'd better be on the winning team cuz he deserves every bit of criticism he gets if they lose. 

And therein lies the big difference between the LA Kings shenanigans and this team.  Those guys won.  You can be a jackwagon when you win.  These guys ain't won nuthin yet.  They shouldn't get a free pass.

I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

It is, right? Sarcasm? Yes, I mean, it's got to be sarcasm, right? Please?

Honestly its a legitimate question. Do you treat the star the same as a near star ? Thats all I'm asking. Is Eichel held out of an important game because he's late for a team stretch ? Because to me thats ridonculas but many on the board are saying there are no exceptions. In my opinion if we were in a playoff hunt and he is held out heads should roll. The coach should never handicap his own team. Even though the player is ultimately responsible other forms of punishment should and could be available. If this team was serious about winning.

If my star is late for a team anything on game 7 of the SCF, he'd better be on the winning team cuz he deserves every bit of criticism he gets if they lose. 

And therein lies the big difference between the LA Kings shenanigans and this team.  Those guys won.  You can be a jackwagon when you win.  These guys ain't won nuthin yet.  They shouldn't get a free pass.

They were still Jackwagons before they won, the rumors are part of the reason why Carter and Richards were traded off of Philly in the first place. 

Talent, coaching, chemistry, luck. In some order.

They were still Jackwagons before they won, the rumors are part of the reason why Carter and Richards were traded off of Philly in the first place. 

Talent, coaching, chemistry, luck. In some order.

They were making happen on a Philly team with high expectations that took a nose dive once they were gone.  Winners can get away with it.  But you have to prove yourself a winner first.  And even then.... Richards is out of the league for being a jackwagon AND a winner.  You'd better be winning at the highest level to get away with it.  If you haven't won anything, be on time at the very least.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.