THANK YOU, FANS! THANK YOU, FANS! THANK YO... eh, not really

PASabreFan

Anyone remember the piece John Vogl did after last season, titled, "As Sabres ticket costs rise, fan satisfaction declines"?
It started out:

I think Sabres season-ticket holders are getting shortchanged on a regular basis. I think the return on their ever-increasing investment pales in comparison to other professional sports teams.

But, to be honest, the Sabres don’t care what I think. I don’t buy season tickets.

So I asked people who do. Their thoughts:

• The Sabres don’t appreciate the fans and their loyalty.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/04/02/as-sabres-ticket-costs-rise-fan-satisfaction-declines/

A year later, let's take a closer look at the upcoming Fan "Appreciation" events. You tell me if they'll move the needle for those fans who felt very much unappreciated in John's survey.

To show how much the Sabres appreciate you, they're inviting you to:

• Purchase discounted tickets and concessions

• Visit the Sabres Store, where merchandise will be discounted

• Purchase raffle tickets

• Bid on a chance to get a Sabretooth visit at your seat or a player jersey (bidding for the Tooth visit starts at $25!)

Feeling appreciated yet? Do you think it moved? No, not even a little?

Maybe participating in sponsor promotions will boost your self-esteem.

• Take part in a Moe's Hot Player promotion

• Register for a raffle at the Buff-A-Nerd table (My One Buffalo members only)

• Enter a contest to win sponsor prizes (My One Buffalo members only)

• Get a free pair of sunglasses that promote One Buffalo (first 10,000 fans only; almost half the crowd can just squint this summer; hey, Uncle Terry's not made of money; if you want sunglasses go get a job in the coal mines after school like I did!)

• Win two round trip tickets in a Delta Airlines promotion (one lucky and very much appreciated fan only)

The next two are tantalizingly close to the franchise showing you appreciation.

• Enjoy free pizza and hats! But it's only one section/row respectively and they're sponsor, not Sabre, giveaways.

• Stand at center ice for the ceremonial puck drop as the corporate-sponsored 7th Man Award winner. It's just one fan, of course, and he or she will actually be starring in a live BlueCross BlueShield commercial.

Meh indeed. Does everything, even simple appreciation, have to be sold to the highest bidder?

What are we really looking at here? How are the Buffalo Sabres actually showing appreciation to their fans? Credit where credit is due. The afternoon of the Islanders game they are putting on a family-focused party in Alumni Plaza (whose naming rights were sold to Tops). I assume everything at the party is free. At the rate we're going, that would be a major assumption.

And then after the Montreal game, they're giving a handful of fans the sweaters off their players' backs. I'm sure NS has advised the front office that they can write off the cost of the already-purchased gear as a charitable donation. Smart.

Want to know what a real fan appreciation night in Buffalo would look like? Terry and Kim Pegula come out, thank you, profusely, say how much they appreciate you, apologize for the crummy product they iced (again) and announce that because the team sucked ass for a sixth straight season since they bought the team, there will be no ticket price increase for next season.

Now that is really the least they can do.

Edited by PASabreFan

Well ok, Debbie Downer.

You of all people won't believe me, but I take no pleasure in writing stuff like that. I just truly want better for the fans. I don't mean to be a spoil-sport. I'm sure it'll be a good time for lots of people. But to bill it as Fan Appreciation is just laughable to me.

You of all people won't believe me, but I take no pleasure in writing stuff like that. I just truly want better for the fans. I don't mean to be a spoil-sport. I'm sure it'll be a good time for lots of people. But to bill it as Fan Appreciation is just laughable to me.

That's just crap. There is nothing they could do that you wouldn't look at with a jaundice eye. Your including the "write off benefit" of the shirt give away says it all. You had to find something negative about every part of the night. You couldn't even write about Sunday's events without opining on them.

You are what you are, wear it proudly.

That's just crap. There is nothing they could do that you wouldn't look at with a jaundice eye. Your including the "write off benefit" of the shirt give away says it all. You had to find something negative about every part of the night. You couldn't even write about Sunday's events without opining on them.

You are what you are, wear it proudly.

Thanks. I'm one of those loyal fans you dissed the other day.

I'll say something nice about a Fan Appreciation Night. The one in 2011 was great, when they brought back all the alumni. It was a special treat for the fans. Maybe that's the template. How about a concert after the game? (But not sure about setup time for a simple stage and all that.)

What should Fan Appreciation Night be?

I'll say something nice about a Fan Appreciation Night. The one in 2011 was great, when they brought back all the alumni. It was a special treat for the fans. Maybe that's the template. How about a concert after the game? (But not sure about setup time for a simple stage and all that.)

What should Fan Appreciation Night be?

Wins

So stop watching.  At the very least, please stop writing.

Sorry Eleven, but I hate this take.

If we were talking about first round match-ups right now, this wouldn't even be on our radar. They open themselves up to criticisms of any flavor by sucking.

If they didn't suck, I'd go to that event and gladly hand my cash over.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.