Our wish list for the 2017 draft...

Sabre fan

Yikes, just checking out a forward by the name of Michael Rasmussen who plays for the Tri City Americans of the WHL. he is huge at 6-6, 215, but has good soft hands and is a force around the net...exactly what we could use to p-lay along with jack. This guy is actually fast and has great speed for a big man. Rated #6 by the scouting report, we might have a shot at him.In 50 games he has 55 points (32 goals, 23 assists), five game-winning goals and 29 power-play points. I imagine eith er Anaheim or ottawa who seem to find a way to get these good big guys will somehow get him.there are other interesting players for sure but I love the look of this guy. should add there are 3 d-men in the top 9 and maybe we should take one of them if available. sure would love to see us actually win a draft lottery (haha like that will happen) and move up

Edited by Sabre fan

I either want Hischier or a massive trade for a legit defenseman or two. (Not saying the pick has to be involved, just that these are the only two outcomes I care about for draft day.)

I want both... too much to ask for then... Valimaki in first and find a scorer.

dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Stealing ideas from Flagg, North Buffalo, and Wildcard that I all like:

1. Win the lottery and draft Hischier no.1 overall.  The perfect player to pair with Eichel.

2. Trade up for Juuso Valimaki since he's exactly what we need on defense.  It's not like we need two 2nds and two 3rds in a weak draft.

3. Trade our first for a defenseman that helps immediately.  

Also, from the mock drafts, I'm seeing a handful of Finnish defensemen sprinkled throughout the 1st round that all sound pretty interesting.  We could try to keep our first and then trade to get back into the first round after and get two of them.  We have probably the best Finnish defenseman in the world so it couldn't hurt to bring in a couple guys that can learn from him.

One other thing: I hope we use the draft to trade a few guys away.  We have Bailey, Baptiste, Carrier (if he can recover from his injury), and Rodrigues all on the way next year and maybe Fasching too (and Nylander, who knows?).  Can we clear out some more forwards that really aren't part of the plan moving forward?  Girgensons, Ennis, Moulson, Larsson, etc. -- let's just keep moving farther away from the Tank roster.  New players, fresh start.

No one is ever actually going to disagree with BPA.  But it doesn't make for a very fun thread.  :P

I will.  Strickly using BPA often leads to creating gaping holes in the prospect pipeline.  Regier used BPA and never drafted centers.  GMTM has been using BPA and has ended up with tons of duplicate wingers, few D and almost no centers in the pipeline except Asplund.  

BPA utilized without recognizing team needs is ultimately foolish, especially when you consider that after the 1st rd the difference in grades for the players in often minuscule; thus if you pipeline is lacking centers and the choice comes to drafting a center vs another winger, you take the center.  Edm used BPA and took forward after forward after forward at the top of the draft and their team went nowhere until they starting moving out the excess forwards to grab D, even D "below" the value of the forwards they were trading such as the Hall for Larsson trade.  Everyone said that it was an unbalanced trade in favor of NJ, but I doubt you'd get anyone in Edm to agree with that now.  If you go back and look at the 2012 draft when they drafted the great Nail Yakupov; how much better would their rebuild have been had they grabbed Murray, Reilly, Lindholm, Dumba or Trouba instead?  Sometimes you actually have to draft for need.  

GMTM should have drafted a D instead of Nylander.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

No.  Draft picks are already crap shoots.  You give yourself the best chance of landing an NHL player.  Not picking BPA means sometimes choosing a player with a lower likelihood of making the NHL.  utter foolishness.  I'm glad our GM has espoused BPA and not this silly idea of picking someone with less likelihood of NHL success.

And lets end this story that Darcy's Achille's heel was drafting BPA.  It wasn't.  Darcy's issue was not being able to identify NHL players in the draft.

No. Draft picks are already crap shoots. You give yourself the best chance of landing an NHL player. Not picking BPA means sometimes choosing a player with a lower likelihood of making the NHL. utter foolishness. I'm glad our GM has espoused BPA and not this silly idea of picking someone with less likelihood of NHL success.

And lets end this story that Darcy's Achille's heel was drafting BPA. It wasn't. Darcy's issue was not being able to identify NHL players in the draft.

This.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.