OT: Baby Names

Andrew Amerk

First off: congrats!

We ended up naming our daughter Rose Helen, so you're welcome to our second choice, Starshine Bottlerocket (there's a family joke behind that, but it's still an awesome name).

Avia is a good name, i like it. I'm not sure if this is your first, but you'll really miss out on some fun if you don't come up with a ridiculous name to tell people just see their faces.

Congratulations!!

I really like Avia. Good choice.

I trust your wife is in agreement, right?

Thank you NS. She's not in agreement yet. She tossed out Ava, and this was my compromise.

Like Avia it reminds me of Ava which has always been a favorite girls name for me.

I like Ava but wanted something a little less common.

First off: congrats!

We ended up naming our daughter Rose Helen, so you're welcome to our second choice, Starshine Bottlerocket (there's a family joke behind that, but it's still an awesome name).

Avia is a good name, i like it. I'm not sure if this is your first, but you'll really miss out on some fun if you don't come up with a ridiculous name to tell people just see their faces.

Thank you Matt. Star shine Bottlerocket was immediately shot down by my wife. Probably even quicker than when I jokingly suggested Trumpette.

I'm kind of a big fan of traditional/established names that aren't common today.  Gertrude might be a good one.  Alice.  Mabel.  Something like that.  Avia sounds like it might be out of that group, although I don't think it is.  It has that kind of sound to it.

I'm kind of a big fan of traditional/established names that aren't common today. Gertrude might be a good one. Alice. Mabel. Something like that. Avia sounds like it might be out of that group, although I don't think it is. It has that kind of sound to it.

Gertrude was one of my grandmothers names.

Congrats, being a Dad is an incredible experience... have two boys.... because it is a girl it will be all about you.  My brother has two... could care less about their mom when they were younger.... My boys; its all about Mom... just so you know.

I'm kind of a big fan of traditional/established names that aren't common today.  Gertrude might be a good one.  Alice.  Mabel.  Something like that.  Avia sounds like it might be out of that group, although I don't think it is.  It has that kind of sound to it.

I love old people/classic names for babies, especially for boys. I have always liked Jack, but now with Eichel I expect that name will become very common. Henry is underused. 

My Grandma's name is Dorothy, and I like that for a little girl's name. Call her Dot or Dottie.  

I love old people/classic names for babies, especially for boys. I have always liked Jack, but now with Eichel I expect that name will become very common. Henry is underused. 

My Grandma's name is Dorothy, and I like that for a little girl's name. Call her Dot or Dottie.  

Oh mannnnn you'll doom her to a life of being the DD in college. 

I like to think of them as *classics*.

Clara, is another that comes to mind.

Congratulations on the anticipated arrival - exciting (and stressful) times.

Avia is a lovely name - it just sounds nice. There's an Aviana in one of my kid's classes - that must be a related variation. A worthy choice for a name, to be sure.

++

A short story to share: My sister-in-law was pregnant with her first child at the time that my wife and were engaged. When she was about five months along, she started letting people know what the baby's name would be. The choice was a little non-standard, but seemed fine enough to me. Besides - what did I really care about what my fiance's sister was naming her kid?

I'm sure people's mileage will vary in other settings, with other families and friends, but my experience with that advance-name-disclosure process convinced me that we'd never tell anyone what the baby's name was going to be ahead of time. My sister-in-law got legitimate blow-back from certain people and suggestions for alternative names -- there were only a handful of people who were rude enough to do this, but that was enough to poison the process. I was baffled, myself. Once the baby arrived and had the name that some people had thought - in the abstract - was a poor choice, everyone loved that kid and, within weeks, no one could imagine that kid with any other name.

So my wife and I always came up with a slate of fake, but plausible, possible names for each kid. The names were ones that we didn't intend to use with that kid, or any other kid we might have in the future. By the time our last kid arrived, some people were on to us about the misdirection. 

Congrats AA!

Those first couple of months are pretty rough, but being a father is a great, great thing.

I like the name, although I would echo Aud's cautionary words -- there is a surprising number of people that will be ill-mannered enough to criticize the choice.

Congrats to your wife as well!

Congratulations on the anticipated arrival - exciting (and stressful) times.

Avia is a lovely name - it just sounds nice. There's an Aviana in one of my kid's classes - that must be a related variation. A worthy choice for a name, to be sure.

++

A short story to share: My sister-in-law was pregnant with her first child at the time that my wife and were engaged. When she was about five months along, she started letting people know what the baby's name would be. The choice was a little non-standard, but seemed fine enough to me. Besides - what did I really care about what my fiance's sister was naming her kid?

I'm sure people's mileage will vary in other settings, with other families and friends, but my experience with that advance-name-disclosure process convinced me that we'd never tell anyone what the baby's name was going to be ahead of time. My sister-in-law got legitimate blow-back from certain people and suggestions for alternative names -- there were only a handful of people who were rude enough to do this, but that was enough to poison the process. I was baffled, myself. Once the baby arrived and had the name that some people had thought - in the abstract - was a poor choice, everyone loved that kid and, within weeks, no one could imagine that kid with any other name.

So my wife and I always came up with a slate of fake, but plausible, possible names for each kid. The names were ones that we didn't intend to use with that kid, or any other kid we might have in the future. By the time our last kid arrived, some people were on to us about the misdirection. 

I've heard stories of similar things happening so we didn't tell anyone what we were thinking. We didn't really decide until the day we left the hospital so it wasn't hard to misdirect people. Helen Rose, Rose Helen, or Madeline/Madilyn/etc Rose; Madeline was a top choice but my last name requires spelling so making Rose spell her first name all the time seemed mean.

Edited by MattPie

My wife is expecting with my first and probably only child ever. In August. It is a girl.

After 16 weeks of consideration, I have come to love the name 'Avia.'

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts!

Is 'Avia' intended to be pronounced "ah-ve-AH" or "ah-VEE-ah"?

I like the name, just can't wrap my simple brain around pronunciation. :doh:

You think your brain is simple? I just pronounced both of those the exact same way!

You think your brain is simple? I just pronounced both of those the exact same way!

might want to throw "AH-vee-ah" into the mix as well.

I like to think of them as *classics*.

Clara, is another that comes to mind.

My dad remarried someone much younger who wanted kids. Ended up having two girls, Opal and Clara. Didn't really like either when they first told me that's what they were going with but they definitely grew on me. Especially Opal. 

Josie and I talk names a lot. We are pretty agreed on girls names (which is good because I expect I will end up with all girls  ;) ), but we have a hard time agreeing on boys names. The big problem being that a lot of the classic names in my family are either way too ethnic (Polish- Stanislaus, Valentine, German- Hans, Sylvester) for my current last name, or they're really trendy right now (Mason). 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.