OT: Baby Names

Andrew Amerk

Josie and I talk names a lot. We are pretty agreed on girls names (which is good because I expect I will end up with all girls  ;) ), but we have a hard time agreeing on boys names. The big problem being that a lot of the classic names in my family are either way too ethnic (Polish- Stanislaus, Valentine, German- Hans, Sylvester) for my current last name, or they're really trendy right now (Mason). 

I'm not having any more, so you're welcome to use "Torque Ripcord", our selected boy name.

That actually flows pretty well.

I actually kind of like it. I'll name a character that, if I ever come up with the motivation to create anything.

Also, it helps if you say it like "Steve Holt", arms upraised.

Edited by MattPie

Josie and I talk names a lot. We are pretty agreed on girls names (which is good because I expect I will end up with all girls  ;) ), but we have a hard time agreeing on boys names. The big problem being that a lot of the classic names in my family are either way too ethnic (Polish- Stanislaus, Valentine, German- Hans, Sylvester) for my current last name, or they're really trendy right now (Mason). 

For a couple of hockey fans, you could do a lot worse than giving a boy that as a middle name. Lord Stanley's Cup, and all.

Both of my mom's parents on were named Fran (Francis and Frances), so that's the default middle name on that side of the family. By my count off the top of my head there are 6 of us, children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren with a middle name of one or the other. I look forward to passing that on, if my wife will let me.

On the other side, David is kind of a family name. Its flipped back and forth between First and Middle Names for first born sons, so I expect the first boy I have will get that as a middle name, as well. Its a little easier name to swallow than Francis, too.

I like having family names, its an interesting reach into the past. 

For a couple of hockey fans, you could do a lot worse than giving a boy that as a middle name. Lord Stanley's Cup, and all.

Actually... Stanley *is* my middle name.  ;)

My dad remarried someone much younger who wanted kids. Ended up having two girls, Opal and Clara. Didn't really like either when they first told me that's what they were going with but they definitely grew on me. Especially Opal. 

Iris is another one.  Some friends of our used that for their daughter.  Nice name.

I'm not having any more, so you're welcome to use "Torque Ripcord", our selected boy name.

I mean, we could name one Axle Valentine and expect him to become a drug dealer/superhero....

Congrats on the soon to be new addition! Avia makes me think of flying. I'll echo others here- it's close to my ideal girl's name- Eva. Evelyn has always been my first choice for a girl.

My family is mostly Joseph's and Anna's... hence my name... Joanna... but we also have the kooky Tennessee hill folk with names like Oda Lee, Hattie, Tyna, Joy... Hance, Boyd, Arlene... woof. Boy names are so hard. I hate most boy names. Maybe it's because almost every boy name is associated with an a$$hole for me, or they're just too foreign for either of our last names. 

Congrats! We have always used the name of a beloved ancestor to name children. My oldest daughter is named Samantha in honor of my grandfather Samuel. It's a great tradition and it keeps the people you love with you always.

My mother passed ten years ago, but she didn't like that idea.

Congrats, being a Dad is an incredible experience... have two boys.... because it is a girl it will be all about you. My brother has two... could care less about their mom when they were younger.... My boys; its all about Mom... just so you know.

I have heard this...

How about Avia Gertrude Amerk?

Hahaha awesome!

I love old people/classic names for babies, especially for boys. I have always liked Jack, but now with Eichel I expect that name will become very common. Henry is underused.

My Grandma's name is Dorothy, and I like that for a little girl's name. Call her Dot or Dottie.

Too close to A League Of Their Own for me.

Congrats AA!

Those first couple of months are pretty rough, but being a father is a great, great thing.

I like the name, although I would echo Aud's cautionary words -- there is a surprising number of people that will be ill-mannered enough to criticize the choice.

Congrats to your wife as well!

Thanks nfreeman! I've floated the name by our family and friends, and luckily, no one had any negative opinions. I don't think my better half likes the name, though.

Is 'Avia' intended to be pronounced "ah-ve-AH" or "ah-VEE-ah"?

I like the name, just can't wrap my simple brain around pronunciation. :doh:

I was thinking "ay vee uh"

My mother passed ten years ago, but she didn't like that idea.

I have heard this...

Hahaha awesome!

Too close to A League Of Their Own for me.

Thanks nfreeman! I've floated the name by our family and friends, and luckily, no one had any negative opinions. I don't think my better half likes the name, though.

I was thinking "ay vee uh"

But AY vee uh, or ay VEE uh?  Which syllable gets stressed?

Which one? There's so many! The professionally modified desk you can sleep under? The you never got hired and showed up like you did? The trying (and failing) to get fired? The sex with the cleaning lady?

Just falling ass backwards into promotions :lol:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.