These next 7 games will tell us a lot about this team/coach

Claude Balls

Thanks for the chart, that was great work.

I don't like DD and I think this team should be better then where they are right now.  But visually, this does show that we've improved from last year and back flirting with the playoffs.  Pretty much where many expected us to be.  I hate using injuries as an excuse but if Eichel doesn't get hurt maybe we're 4 or 5 points better and really in this thing.  With all the ups and downs it's good seeing a long term visual on their progress.

Figure no Eichel cost them ~4 points & no coach cost them another 6. 10 extra points right now would look awful good. Heck, even those extra 6 would. ;)

So far so good....they just need to keep it up

Figure no Eichel cost them ~4 points & no coach cost them another 6. 10 extra points right now would look awful good. Heck, even those extra 6 would. ;)

Yeah maybe even more than that...they are on a 93 point pace with Eichel in the lineup and a 74 point pace when he wasn't...that was 19 points over 82 games....figure at 59 games that would be worth 4-5 points and this team would be easily in the playoff right now, if not close to leading the division....

Sabres success has been predicated on 3 defining factors.

Score on the PP.

Very hot goaltender. Before Sunday I believe Lehnet's stats were 99 saves on 103 shots.

Giving up 35 plus shots on goal per game.

I personally don't believe this winning formula is substainable.

Jack is also fourth in the league at drawing penalties. (.41 per game)

Thanks for the chart, that was great work.

I don't like DD and I think this team should be better then where they are right now.  But visually, this does show that we've improved from last year and back flirting with the playoffs.  Pretty much where many expected us to be.  I hate using injuries as an excuse but if Eichel doesn't get hurt maybe we're 4 or 5 points better and really in this thing.  With all the ups and downs it's good seeing a long term visual on their progress.

Not crazy about our coach, but I don't think he's cost us the points that some on here think. Frankly once a player or a coach gets in a few fans dog house it spreads like cancer. I for one never got all the Nolan love. Just didn't think his coaching rose near to the level of his popularity.

I wonder if our advanced stats were this bad, or relatively close to it for the roster talent, under Nolan. IIRC they were. That should put to bed any Byslma doubt

If Bylsma's advance stats even vaguely resemble Nolan's I want him sitting in the middle of the street on his suitcase by 5 o'clock today.

Edited by sabills

I think little streak followed by the Chicago clunked told us everything.

1) the team is better

2) this team still doesn't know how to win big games

3) our coach doesn't yet have all the horses to lead a contender.

I don't necessarily disagree with your conclusions, but I don't agree with the process you used to reach them. Due to scheduling, the Chicago game was a set-up for the Sabres to fail and as such, reading so much into that one game is folly.

I think little streak followed by the Chicago clunked told us everything.

1) the team is better

2) this team still doesn't know how to win big games

3) our coach doesn't yet have all the horses to lead a contender.

I don't think our team is better. I think Lehner has been better, if not amazing, and we played crap teams.

I don't necessarily disagree with your conclusions, but I don't agree with the process you used to reach them. Due to scheduling, the Chicago game was a set-up for the Sabres to fail and as such, reading so much into that one game is folly.

Why? Chicago played the night before as well and was on the road. The fact we played Chicago was incidental. Had we won the game we might have actually been in a playoff spot heading into our break. That was why it was a big game. Playing Chicago was a bonus.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Why? Chicago played the night before as well and was on the road. The fact we played Chicago was incidental. Had we won the game we might have actually been in a playoff spot heading into our break. That was why it was a big game. Playing Chicago was a bonus.

Because it was our 12th game in 18 days. And Chicago, although playing the day before, was coming off their bye week and as such was still relatively well rested. Losing that game doesn't prove we "can't win big games".

Can't wait to hear how the rainbows and unicorns crowd will try to spin this into the season isn't over yet. It's over. It's very over. In addition to Bylsma I now have to wonder if our GM fully knows what he's going. Darcy Regier was patient. Too patient. You see where that got us. Tim Murray is very patient too. I wish he wasn't.

This mess is all on GMTM.  When the D started dropping like flies he should have made a move or three to shore up the D.  He didn't and that effectively ended the season.  

Now he has another chance to shore up the D for next year and beyond.  Lets see if he'll take the bold course or not.  

I do disagree on the patience thing.  He has tried to accelerate the rebuild with the Lehner, ROR, Kane/Bogo and Kulikov deals.  There have been positives on 3 of the 4.  I would have said 1/4 at the start of the season, but Lehner's and Kane's improved play and improved the deals (although he paid way to much for Lehner).    That said, It's clear we are now behind Toronto in the rebuild, that's OK as long as GMM fixes the D starting now.

What have we found out though?  

1) This team's leadership group still leaves a lot to be desired.  No way we should lose to either AZ or Colo this season.  The break, the schedule, travel, back to back, altitude etc.  maybe all be somewhat legit excuses; good teams find away to win these games.  Where were Gionta, Gorges, ROR and Okposo tonight when we needed them?

2) Coaches need to do a better job!  I saw no adjustments when the game started going south.

3) We need better players.  Our bottom six isn't very good and either are 4 of our D.

Because it was our 12th game in 18 days. And Chicago, although playing the day before, was coming off their bye week and as such was still relatively well rested. Losing that game doesn't prove we "can't win big games".

The Sabres lost to the Coyotes, one of the WORST teams in the league, the 2nd game after their bye week.  

I think the Sabres, under Bylsma, just plain suck and underperform and underdrive. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.