These next 7 games will tell us a lot about this team/coach

Claude Balls

I think it told us a lot.... That we actually suck worse than originally thought.

All the hope after the blues games, we were just so excited even when we choked against the hawks...

... Nothing to get excited about now, not even a little

I'm with True, I don't think it told us anything. This has been the same team for 2 years now. It's not going to change unless Murray makes a drastic change

This mess is all on GMTM.  When the D started dropping like flies he should have made a move or three to shore up the D.  He didn't and that effectively ended the season. 

It's not the D men dropping like flies that hurt us.  It was when they got healthy again.  Our D core is actually better with Falk and Fedun on the blue line.  Replace any two of Franson, Gorges, Bogo or Kuli with them and we're actually a better team.

The problem isn't that we don't have good D men in the system.  The problem is that we're stuck with those four in the lineup when they're healthy.

And I'm even willing to give GMTM a pass on those to an extent.  It's a hard lesson in giving out contracts that are too long for players that won't be able to perform for the entire length of the contract.

It's not the D men dropping like flies that hurt us.  It was when they got healthy again.  Our D core is actually better with Falk and Fedun on the blue line.  Replace any two of Franson, Gorges, Bogo or Kuli with them and we're actually a better team.

The problem isn't that we don't have good D men in the system.  The problem is that we're stuck with those four in the lineup when they're healthy.

Which is a roster construction issue. When you have $5MM players who are not contributing, and are less effective than replacement level players, you get both poor performance and lose the opportunity cost of getting a productive player for that lost cap space.

That and because of their salary levels and experience, no coach is ever going to play players like Falk/Fedun over high paid vets like Bogo, Kulikov, Moulson, Ennis.

The top end of the talent on our team is good, but the supporting cast is absolute dog shite.

The Sabres lost to the Coyotes, one of the WORST teams in the league, the 2nd game after their bye week.  

I think the Sabres, under Bylsma, just plain suck and underperform and underdrive.

Ya, and my post was in reference to a single game, and my argument was that it doesn't make sense to try and draw a bunch of conclusions from a single outing.

Add these two terribly disappointing losses to the rest of the season, and I think it become hard for one to find many silver linings.

The problem isn't that we don't have good D men in the system.  The problem is that we're stuck with those four in the lineup when they're healthy.And I'm even willing to give GMTM a pass on those to an extent.  It's a hard lesson in giving out contracts that are too long for players that won't be able to perform for the entire length of the contract.

I've also made this point before, but in the context of this thread, I was focused on GMTM's lack of response to the injury problem early in the year. However, you also also correct and the lack of cap space caused by taking on Kuilkov's contract in full and the dead money invested in Ennis, Moulson, Gorges and Bogo made fixing the injury issue much harder.

As I wrote on another thread, GMTM acquired all 4 of the D in our bottom four. I still can't believe the heat thrown at DD when GMTM gave him the worst D group in the NHL to coach. Finally people here are waking up to the argument against GMTM's job performance that I and few others have been making on this board for months.

We also only have 2 D in the system below the NHL that I think are legit prospects; Guhle and Borgen. This is also on GMTM.

Are you going back to your creepy guy?

Start the revolution!

Absolutely not!

What was the bet again?

Didn't someone upthread bet Dark that the Sabres would get 10 points over this 7 game stretch?   Didn't happen.

Looking back it was jsb.  Own up my friend :D

Edited by Derrico

Looking back it was jsb.  Own up my friend :D

I'm here, I've been owned, waiting on av to show up in the mail.

Get Josie to draw him kissing Bylsma's feet or something.

You've been way too close to that former Bills coach for too long, I'm not a footsie kind of guy..... I hope

This would be amazing 

:blink:

So, about that avatar bet? Here's my three options. 

Sir you are the winner, you get to pick and choose anything your willing to give me.

I'm here, I've been owned, waiting on av to show up in the mail.

You've been way too close to that former Bills coach for too long, I'm not a footsie kind of guy..... I hope

:blink:

Sir you are the winner, you get to pick and choose anything your willing to give me.

Those are your three choices. I'm letting you have a little say in it by choosing from one of them.  :P Pick your poison. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.