GDT: Buffalo @ Dallas, 8:30 pm est, 1-26-2017

WildCard

Here is what I wrote before the Nashville game........it never happened

"Every single time these guys have a chance to get within striking distance with games in hand, they take 2/3rds of the game off and look terrible. This is the first game in a while where they can get within 3 points of Wildcard with a game still in hand. It's not like Philly can't be caught in the standings. Buffalo absolutely has to have this game tonight...."

It seems they can be caught now.   TOR @ PHI tonight, just please, for once, not a 3 point game!    I almost feel like cheering for a TOR regulation win, but that doesn't seem right.

DAL takes a lot of penalties (28th in the league), gives up a lot of goals (28th), and has a bad PK (29th).     PP alone could win the game.

I am not arguing this point but I needed a place to share this because it was one of my favorite moments from our little Eichel Tower adventure when the team was in Nashville. At the morning skate there were 5-7 guys milling around the bench waiting for the Zamboni to finish so they could get out there and they were just standing there chatting quietly or whatever. Then 44 comes out of the tunnel bouncing all over the place and says very loudly, in the thickest, most stereotypical French Canadian hockey player accent you can imagine "Hey boys! Let's slap the biscuit around for an hour, eh?!?!" as he knocks a pile of pucks off the boards and sends an arena worker scurrying to get one out of the way of the Zamboni. Then he hits the ice, turns hard left and checks Bogosian into the boards with a huge smile. Everyone laughs. Energy level up. Lots of smiles from there on out.

We can argue what the hell that actually adds to a team in terms of real value. Certainly there are guys out there who can bring that and contribute more, and he could still do that and be scratched for sure. But it was obvious the dude is well-liked, and I think it's always cool to see when a pro athlete doesn't take himself too seriously and seems to love what he does.

Anyway ... hate rooting against Lindy but big game tonight. Need to hit the break in a good mood.

Glad you posted this.  It's been my observation (from being on the rope line and in other situations) that this is exactly why D-Lo is popular.  I don't like him on the ice as I think he just doesn't add enough at the NHL level but you always hope that if you remove someone like this from the locker room that the attitude and morale doesn't change too much because it's not always easy to find a guy who can fill that role.

Go Sabres... can't wait to watch tonight and hopefully NOT have too much stress.

Then 44 comes out of the tunnel bouncing all over the place and says very loudly, in the thickest, most stereotypical French Canadian hockey player accent you can imagine "Hey boys! Let's slap the biscuit around for an hour, eh?!?!" as he knocks a pile of pucks off the boards and sends an arena worker scurrying to get one out of the way of the Zamboni. Then he hits the ice, turns hard left and checks Bogosian into the boards with a huge smile. Everyone laughs. Energy level up. Lots of smiles from there on out.

Thanks for posting that, Pipes.

I really, really like the young man, and it's clear that just about everyone in the world does too. This sort of stuff probably helps explain why he remains rostered.

And I will echo what LTS says above.

And He sends His mustache to thank me?

They say he works in mysterious ways.

I, for one, am a huge fan of the 8:30 pm start. This allows me to attend a pick-up hockey game in the park tonight and get home and shower and won't miss much of the first.

The past few games the team has been getting support across the roster outside of but not excluding our top 6 (Gionta, Girgensons, Kane, Franson, Bogo). Who steps up tonight? I'm looking at you Matty Mo.

I am not arguing this point but I needed a place to share this because it was one of my favorite moments from our little Eichel Tower adventure when the team was in Nashville. At the morning skate there were 5-7 guys milling around the bench waiting for the Zamboni to finish so they could get out there and they were just standing there chatting quietly or whatever. Then 44 comes out of the tunnel bouncing all over the place and says very loudly, in the thickest, most stereotypical French Canadian hockey player accent you can imagine "Hey boys! Let's slap the biscuit around for an hour, eh?!?!" as he knocks a pile of pucks off the boards and sends an arena worker scurrying to get one out of the way of the Zamboni. Then he hits the ice, turns hard left and checks Bogosian into the boards with a huge smile. Everyone laughs. Energy level up. Lots of smiles from there on out.

We can argue what the hell that actually adds to a team in terms of real value. Certainly there are guys out there who can bring that and contribute more, and he could still do that and be scratched for sure. But it was obvious the dude is well-liked, and I think it's always cool to see when a pro athlete doesn't take himself too seriously and seems to love what he does.

Anyway ... hate rooting against Lindy but big game tonight. Need to hit the break in a good mood.

Des certainly makes up for his ineptitude on the ice with his personality. Just wish we could get the early 2015 season Des who at least scored.

Hopefully you guys can add another puck or two to the tower after tonight's game

BTW -- Howard Simon and Jeremy White discussed your boy's encounter with Jack yesterday on their show -- it's toward the end of the "First reactions to the Nashville win" segment if you're interested.  It sounds like Jeremy follows the Eichel Tower feed on Twitter.

Des certainly makes up for his ineptitude on the ice with his personality. Just wish we could get the early 2015 season Des who at least scored.

Hopefully you guys can add another puck or two to the tower after tonight's game

He doesn't make up for his ineptitude with it. It's a nice character trait, but he should not be on this team or in the NHL, no matter how good of a guy he is. 

We're in a playoff push, starting the worst possession forward in the NHL, who has zero points, when there are better options immediately available in the press box. 

BTW -- Howard Simon and Jeremy White discussed your boy's encounter with Jack yesterday on their show -- it's toward the end of the "First reactions to the Nashville win" segment if you're interested.  It sounds like Jeremy follows the Eichel Tower feed on Twitter.

Oh, for sure he does.

Thanks I heard that. Jeremy and I have exchanged messages on Twitter, there's no doubt his mentioning it a few times has drawn attention to it.

He doesn't make up for his ineptitude with it. It's a nice character trait, but he should not be on this team or in the NHL, no matter how good of a guy he is. 

We're in a playoff push, starting the worst possession forward in the NHL, who has zero points, when there are better options immediately available in the press box. 

Eh, he plays seven minutes a night, and not every night. If this was baseball and the guy HAS to take a turn at bat and play defense at all times, he wouldn't have a job, obviously. Hockey coaches can pick their spots and play their weakest players much less. It's a team with a bunch of guys learning to be pros, and there may be some value to keeping a guy like that around, who knows? It's something I have a hard time being cut-and-dried about without being around a team.

Here's who we are rooting for today:

CGY over OTT

PIT over BOS

TBL over FLA

MTL over NYI

LAK over CAR

WSH over NJD

PHI/TOR is a wash.

I disagree, I will always root against Toronto and I'm hoping they kick-start their Spring woes and also start losing the games in hand they have.

otherwise thanks for putting that list together.

In DFW for business today and tomorrow -- heading to the game

Any places near American Airlines Center to chekc out ?

Pecan Lodge?  It's a little over 2 miles away which could be hell in traffic or if you are walking it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.