GDT: Buffalo at Nashville 8p ET 1/24/17

pi2000

I proposed this idea over a beer drinking session a while back:

Reinstate the tie. Then make the points system as follows: 2 points for a win, 1 point for a loss, 0 points for a tie. Or: 1 point for a win, 0 points for a loss, -1 point for a tie.

Punish tie games, and teams will do everything they can to win or die trying.

I like it, but it makes me think of this scenario

You're up 1pt to your division rival. You're tied going into OT. Now what?

I proposed this idea over a beer drinking session a while back:

Reinstate the tie. Then make the points system as follows: 2 points for a win, 1 point for a loss, 0 points for a tie. Or: 1 point for a win, 0 points for a loss, -1 point for a tie. 

Punish tie games, and teams will do everything they can to win or die trying. 

Unless there is a team that knows they only need one point to clinch a playoff spot (or just not lose a point), so with a minute left in a tie game they just give up and let one in.

Losing always has to be the worst option.

the solution is really quite simple...

8 points for a regulation win by more than 2 goals

7 points for a regulation win by more than 1 goal

6 points for a regulation win by 1 goal

5 points for OT win

4 points for a shootout win

3 points for an OT loss

2 points for a shootout loss

1 point for a shootout tie

0 points for none of the above 

I like it, but it makes me think of this scenario

You're up 1pt to your division rival. You're tied going into OT. Now what?

Unless there is a team that knows they only need one point to clinch a playoff spot (or just not lose a point), so with a minute left in a tie game they just give up and let one in.

Losing always has to be the worst option.

Right, this is scenario where you have an issue. But...don't teams already do this? They play for OT to get the loser point, so it's really the same thing. If the goal is to make MOST games more competitive, then this would be the way to do it. Give them something to compete for every night, even if it means someone throwing one game before the playoffs. Maybe you end up with two teams TRYING to lose, things get really weird. Like that women's badminton thing in the last Olympics. 

Right, this is scenario where you have an issue. But...don't teams already do this? They play for OT to get the loser point, so it's really the same thing. If the goal is to make MOST games more competitive, then this would be the way to do it. Give them something to compete for every night, even if it means someone throwing one game before the playoffs. Maybe you end up with two teams TRYING to lose, things get really weird. Like that women's badminton thing in the last Olympics.

Very true, this is the same thing teams currently do. But does not my proposal prevent that, whereas yours appears to, unless I'm mistaken, still have it?

Very true, this is the same thing teams currently do. But does not my proposal prevent that, whereas yours appears to, unless I'm mistaken, still have it?

Oh, I'm not arguing mine is better than yours, I'm just throwing it out there because I think it'd be a wild idea. Your graduated points system is probably better, but I still think it rewards teams for playing for OT. I want to eliminate OT from regular season games. We don't need to drag these games into OT and shootouts. I like soccer where the game ends when it's supposed to end. Save the excitement of OT for the playoffs. 

Right, this is scenario where you have an issue. But...don't teams already do this? They play for OT to get the loser point, so it's really the same thing. If the goal is to make MOST games more competitive, then this would be the way to do it. Give them something to compete for every night, even if it means someone throwing one game before the playoffs. Maybe you end up with two teams TRYING to lose, things get really weird. Like that women's badminton thing in the last Olympics. 

I just think there is a monumental difference between "not trying to score" and "letting the other team score."

Also, people get crazy at the thought now of some games being worth 3pts and some worth 2. A system where games can be worth four different values might actually make someone's head explode.

Don't like that.  The idea is to get back to an equal number of points for all games, regardless of the outcome.  So 3 points for a win in regulation, 2 points for an OT/SO win and 1 point for an OT/SO loss.  But ALWAYS 3 points given out for every game.

I like this format.

Give a Honk for the Goose!

Yes. They do. I totally agree/wish they would.

But I doubt they because there was already an outcry when they added the loser point. If you went to a 3 point system all the point records would have to be thrown out, and the league probably doesn't want to do that.

The Capitals currently have 32 wins and a ROW of 31. I have no idea how many of that 31 were OT wins, but lets just say 5 of them. That's 26*3 + 5*2 + 1*1 = 89 points through 47 games played. A 90 point season is now garbage.

That's a great point, hadn't thought of that.

I'd like to see:

Ennis-ROR-Okposo

Foligno-Eichel-Moulson

Kane-Reino-Gionta

Carrier-Zemgus-COR

Wow, how much do we need Nylander. It would look to drastically improve this lineup, as posted, just by substituting an NHL ready Nylander on to Jack's wing for Moulson.

I like the looks of this otherwise.

Wow, how much do we need Nylander. It would look to drastically improve this lineup, as posted, just by substituting an NHL ready Nylander on to Jack's wing for Moulson.

I like the looks of this otherwise.

I don't know how we get to advocating moving Kane with a line up of wings that look like that.

Y u hate Jack?

Because our blue line is still worse.

That's true, but using Hall-Larsson as a base, we likely wouldn't be getting enough of a defensive upgrade to justify the comparative depletion to the forward ranks that a Kane deal would garner.

That's true, but using Hall-Larsson as a base, we likely wouldn't be getting enough of a defensive upgrade to justify the comparative depletion to the forward ranks that a Kane deal would garner.

My hope is that GMs come to their senses and don't use the Larsson-Hall trade as market price in perpetuity. Maybe it's a blind hope, but still...

Edited by TrueBlueGED

My hope is that GMs come to their senses and don't use the Larsson-Hall trade as market price in perpetuity. Maybe it's a blind hope, but still...

Was going to add that while a trade of this nature appeared to work for Edmonton, they were dealing from a position of strength to address weakness, so could afford to take a hit on straight up player value. The Sabres would be dealing from a place of weakness (LW), to address a weakness, making the value-hit less easy to stomach.

If your hope comes to fruition, it would indeed make more sense in that case to deal Kane.

the solution is really quite simple...

8 points for a regulation win by more than 2 goals

7 points for a regulation win by more than 1 goal

6 points for a regulation win by 1 goal

5 points for OT win

4 points for a shootout win

3 points for an OT loss

2 points for a shootout loss

1 point for a shootout tie

0 points for none of the above 

Elegant. Simple to track with a spreadsheet and a daily perusal of the around the league scores. I like it!

Oh, I'm not arguing mine is better than yours, I'm just throwing it out there because I think it'd be a wild idea. Your graduated points system is probably better, but I still think it rewards teams for playing for OT. I want to eliminate OT from regular season games. We don't need to drag these games into OT and shootouts. I like soccer where the game ends when it's supposed to end. Save the excitement of OT for the playoffs.

Ahhh gotcha. See I hate the soccer style of ending a game; I need to have a winner and loser.

I don't know how we get to advocating moving Kane with a line up of wings that look like that.

Eggs-actly.

Y u hate Jack?

Because our blue line is still worse.

I think the sky's the limit with Jack, but I think Reino-Kane-Gionta will bring out the best in both Reino and Kane and will be pretty formidable.  And I've been convinced by dudacek (whom I hope returns soon!) that Reino at C is better for both Reino and the Sabres than Reino on Jack's wing.

What the Sabres really need IMHO is for Moulson to come back from the dead or for Fasching, Baptiste or Bailey (or someone else) to step up and be able to hold his own on Jack's wing.  I'm fine with Foligno playing on Jack's other wing.

As for our blue line -- before we throw in the towel on the current top 4 (Risto, McCabe, Kuli and Bogo), I'd like to see them healthy for 20 games or so.  I think that foursome can be a solid group, and I hate the idea of trading Kane to strengthen it -- especially since we all know that the Sabres aren't going to get a true stud on D for Kane.

C'mon, fellas. Two points! It doesn't even need to be in regulation, since this is a western team.

Ha.

Man - I'm just never going to live down my salad day affection for Mrs. Pegula, am I?

So be it.

No need to live it down.

Not even NS would kick her out of bed for eating crackers and chips. :flirt:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.