What are your unpopular hockey opinions?

Randall Flagg

Yes to Hammy as a good play by play guy. A double yes. I'm still not sure why that didn't come to pass.

Blue, what long-held beliefs has analytics disproven?

The value of +/- as a stat, the value of hits, the value of a defenseman who can't get out of his own zone effectively, the overratedness of faceoffs over the course of a season, the general ineffectiveness of a dump and chase, when to pull the goalie, and more. Edited by TrueBlueGED

Home teams wear white.

Yes.

If you have a player like Pavel Bure, you let him ignore the mucking-along-the-boards defensive responsibilities, hover near the blue line, and threaten to score a goal a game on a breakaway.

Ties are good; no three-point games.

Instant replay is only allowed to show whether the puck completely crossed the line. All camera angles (overhead goal line, in net, external goal line are required for every game, preseason too.)

New rule: If shooting the puck over the glass in the defensive zone is a delay of game -- Then so is this, which is a much more common delay of game... if a coach allows players to jump off the ice, or if a player jumps off the ice illegally after an icing in an attempt to stall for time, it's a 2-min delay of game penalty, to be served by a player on the ice of the other team's choosing.

Diving should be called more often.

The value of +/- as a stat, the value of hits, the value of a defenseman who can't get out of his own zone effectively, the overratedness of faceoffs over the course of a season, the general ineffectiveness of a dump and chase, when to pull the goalie, and more.

Not much earth shattering there.

Really? Because each of those points has generated quite the lively debate here in the past, and at least a few of them are still contested.

That's not saying much. Have you seen the debate generated by a guy getting mad at losing?

I love Rob Ray.

Brad May is mey.

I liked to see NHL games played on the larger international rinks.

Goalie pads/equipment size should be reduced to be as small as possible while still having the same protective qualities.

Intentionally going down on a knee or laying out on the ice to block a shot should be a penalty.

Players should be forced to wear a full cage, not just the visor. 

Not sure if you're being serious but wearing full face protection does create a warrior mentality... you can go into the dirty areas with much more reckless abandon... hands, elbows, sticks flailing in the air.    There have discussions about eliminating full face protection in NCAA hockey for this reason since studies show that former NCAA players commit many more high stick infractions than those who come from the CHL or European leagues.      

I absolutely hate the idea of a 3-2-1 point system.

same.

Eliminate the shootout but extend 3-on-3 or go 2-on-2 for another 5min... winner gets 2 points, loser 0 points.   1 point if it ends in a tie.

Not sure about unpopular. I've never heard anyone else express this opinion, but I've always had this stored away as a pet idea.

Hockey teams should practice in the evening.

huh?  and when would they play?   

Agreed with very thing you said True, besides your 3 line garbage :D

Pi, awesome list. But, +/- though...

+/- is just as valuable a statistic as any of the modern analytical stats

CF%, PDO, possession numbers... are all impacted by who you're on the ice with and who you're playing against, as is +/-, as is the score... 

I would even argue that possession numbers are less representative of a players ability than +/-.

I don't think raw +/- is useless, just flawed. It's not good at comparing players across the league because of all the variables in line mates, opponents and situations,

It doesn't tell you how good a player is, but it can give you some indication of how effective a player has been in the role his coach has given him. Pretty much exactly what Corsi does, except Corsi uses shots by team to measure that effectiveness and +\- uses goals. As far as I can see, Corsi has the same flaws, it just attempts to take the "lucky bounce" factor out of the equation. But it has a similar flaw because it fails to take into account the effectiveness of those shots.

I'm sure Blue, or Wildcard, or someone can explain what I'm missing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.