The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

Essentially, it's a "clean" version of Android that you load onto your phone, replacing the original build that the manufacturer put on it. I've put it on a couple old devices (under it's old CyanogenMod name) and it seems good. It's possible to brick the device doing it, so you want to do you homework. Additionally, device manufacturers will sometimes lock the phone so you can use it (or other similar software). I'm no expert on this stuff; my day-to-day phone is too precious to me to mess with so I've only done it on obsolete hardware.

I'm kinda confused: Amazon it popping up full-screen adds on the phone itself, or only some apps?

It's an ad that appears in the lockscreen

I don't really care about this phone all too much. I'm either going to go your route or some YouTube video at this point. Not sure what homework I can really do with it anyway honestly

Matt's right, going with a new ROM kicks ass if you know what you're doing. What sucks is, each phone is different to a point so it's not all universal. 

If you can find out how to root that particular phone, it will allow you to install certain apps that can uninstall all that crap that comes with your phone without having to go through the process of installing a whole new ROM. 

Everyone in my family has. Only a matter of time before I do. No fun- hope you're ok! 

Here's a gallbladder funny in case you need cheering up

gall-bladder.png

Awh poor little guy haha

I'm really not sure what's going on with me, I'm only just starting to piece things together. When I eat something with excessive grease, my body can no longer handle it and I spend the next 24-36 hours feeling terrible but not actually getting that sick. Yesterday was just a handful of (admittedly greasy) french fries. The last time it happened was because of two slices of double cheese pizza. The time before was french fries from Pasquale's. It's all connected because I feel the exact same way the next day after each of these instances, and feel pretty normal in between. This never used to happen to me, and even though grease is not good for you your body should be able to handle a handful of french fries...

The thing is, my overall diet hasn't been great the last 3 months either, so I want to clean that up and take note of how I feel before I come to any conclusions on my own. My doctor will be hearing about this as soon as I schedule an appointment soon. It could be a lot of things not related to my gallbladder, especially since I'm not vomiting no matter how bad I feel, and since there's not much in the way of pain unrelated to general digestion pain, like sharpness or throbbing or anything. The only thing that made me think gallbladder was a spasming, rhythmic twitch thing I could feel by my stomach. It could have been the stomach itself, but food was sitting fine as I ate while it was happening, and eating didn't seem to change much. I don't know, I'm just rambling at this point, my bad

Awh poor little guy haha

I'm really not sure what's going on with me, I'm only just starting to piece things together. When I eat something with excessive grease, my body can no longer handle it and I spend the next 24-36 hours feeling terrible but not actually getting that sick. Yesterday was just a handful of (admittedly greasy) french fries. The last time it happened was because of two slices of double cheese pizza. The time before was french fries from Pasquale's. It's all connected because I feel the exact same way the next day after each of these instances, and feel pretty normal in between. This never used to happen to me, and even though grease is not good for you your body should be able to handle a handful of french fries...

The thing is, my overall diet hasn't been great the last 3 months either, so I want to clean that up and take note of how I feel before I come to any conclusions on my own. My doctor will be hearing about this as soon as I schedule an appointment soon. It could be a lot of things not related to my gallbladder, especially since I'm not vomiting no matter how bad I feel, and since there's not much in the way of pain unrelated to general digestion pain, like sharpness or throbbing or anything. The only thing that made me think gallbladder was a spasming, rhythmic twitch thing I could feel by my stomach. It could have been the stomach itself, but food was sitting fine as I ate while it was happening, and eating didn't seem to change much. I don't know, I'm just rambling at this point, my bad

God, are you me? You sound like me. I never throw up, either, no matter how bad it gets. Severe nausea, all the other stomach fun, but never can just hurl and get rid of it. I can't even do the finger trick since throat surgery severed all my gag reflex nerves. (hold your jokes, boys)

That being said, if grease is triggering it, gall bladder is still a good bet. Attacks and stones are acute, sure, but if stuff is going poorly, you're going to feel it. My mother's triggers were always pie crust and deep fried anything. 

I'm sorry you feel so bad. It's all consuming and frustrating. Rambling happens. 

Keep a diary of what you eat every day and your body's reactions to it, good and bad. The doc will probably ask you to do it anyways, get the jump on it now. It's the best evidence you can gather on your own.

Good luck! 

OK, speaking of medical issues.  Anyone have a hernia (just your regular version no sports hernia)?  I've had one for 7 years (i'm 55) and it doesn't bother me except for the occassional zap when it pops into place (or out of place depending on your perspective).  I'm not inclined to get it repaired unless I have to.  I've read seceral articles recently that say if it's not bothering you, there's no need to get it repaired, and in fact, studies have shown that post surgery results are less favorable than leaving as is.  Any one else in this boat?

God, are you me? You sound like me. I never throw up, either, no matter how bad it gets. Severe nausea, all the other stomach fun, but never can just hurl and get rid of it. I can't even do the finger trick since throat surgery severed all my gag reflex nerves. (hold your jokes, boys)

That being said, if grease is triggering it, gall bladder is still a good bet. Attacks and stones are acute, sure, but if stuff is going poorly, you're going to feel it. My mother's triggers were always pie crust and deep fried anything. 

I'm sorry you feel so bad. It's all consuming and frustrating. Rambling happens. 

Keep a diary of what you eat every day and your body's reactions to it, good and bad. The doc will probably ask you to do it anyways, get the jump on it now. It's the best evidence you can gather on your own.

Good luck! 

Thanks Josie! Hope you can feel better too!

I wasn't sure if I should post this on here, or start a new thread, or what... this is my first post here.

I'm actually a new-ish hockey/Sabres fan. I grew up and live in Connecticut and was a Whalers fan but not a die-hard, they left when I was 14, I didn't really "understand" hockey very well. It took about 20 years but I I decided as a kid, I was always envious of the Sabres and their cool uniforms, and they beating the heck out of us, and I still dislike the Bruins and Rangers, and I can't root for a Long Island team, so I adopted the Sabres.

However, I know very little of the history and while I've subscribed to NHL.tv and gotten to watch a bunch of them (sometimes painful!) and learned a lot, I'm still, in many ways, a novice, which brings me to two questions:

1. What are some good resources to learn more about hockey strategy and knowledge in general? I own NHL 2017, but I'm not sure a video game is the best way to learn, heh. Fun, though.
  2. What are some good resources for learning about the history of the Sabres and things I'd be expected, as a fan, to know, and care about?

I understand this comment is extremely lame. I am comfortable with that. I just feel an affinity to this team and I like to be knowledgeable, even when I know I'm ignorant.

Thanks, and, uh, sorry for the lameness.

I wasn't sure if I should post this on here, or start a new thread, or what... this is my first post here.

I'm actually a new-ish hockey/Sabres fan. I grew up and live in Connecticut and was a Whalers fan but not a die-hard, they left when I was 14, I didn't really "understand" hockey very well. It took about 20 years but I I decided as a kid, I was always envious of the Sabres and their cool uniforms, and they beating the heck out of us, and I still dislike the Bruins and Rangers, and I can't root for a Long Island team, so I adopted the Sabres.

However, I know very little of the history and while I've subscribed to NHL.tv and gotten to watch a bunch of them (sometimes painful!) and learned a lot, I'm still, in many ways, a novice, which brings me to two questions:

1. What are some good resources to learn more about hockey strategy and knowledge in general? I own NHL 2017, but I'm not sure a video game is the best way to learn, heh. Fun, though.
  2. What are some good resources for learning about the history of the Sabres and things I'd be expected, as a fan, to know, and care about?

I understand this comment is extremely lame. I am comfortable with that. I just feel an affinity to this team and I like to be knowledgeable, even when I know I'm ignorant.

Welcome aboard! 

As far as Sabres stuff goes, try this book for anecdotes: https://www.amazon.com/Then-Perreault-Said-Rico-Buffalo/dp/1600780954

Greg Wyshynski and Jeremy Roenick wrote this a while back about how to "watch" hockey better: https://www.amazon.com/Take-Your-Eye-Off-Puck/dp/1629371203/

• What are some good resources to learn more about hockey strategy and knowledge in general? I own NHL 2017, but I'm not sure a video game is the best way to learn, heh. Fun, though.
  • What are some good resources for learning about the history of the Sabres and things I'd be expected, as a fan, to know, and care about?

Not lame at all. I live just outside of the capital region/ Adirondack foothills in ny which was also whalers tv broadcast territory. I didn't get into hockey until my 20s though (Miller era). I also cant stand rags and bruins. This has now been Sabres tv territory since Hartford folded.

Watch as much hockey as you can, also playing NHL 17 as you mentioned will help you with knowing the penalties, how offside works etc. Honestly just get NHL Network if you can and watch as much as possible. Best sport on earth.

OK, speaking of medical issues.  Anyone have a hernia (just your regular version no sports hernia)?  I've had one for 7 years (i'm 55) and it doesn't bother me except for the occassional zap when it pops into place (or out of place depending on your perspective).  I'm not inclined to get it repaired unless I have to.  I've read seceral articles recently that say if it's not bothering you, there's no need to get it repaired, and in fact, studies have shown that post surgery results are less favorable than leaving as is.  Any one else in this boat?

My Father had one, had it fixed with a mesh or something. All good now but the weeks of "don't lift that!" were a hassle for him.

Awh poor little guy haha

Don't rule out IBS, either; might not be it since often causes... let's just say more tangible issues, but not necessarily.  I've got certain foods that just make my stomach feel like it's been twisted in knots and I feel nauseous for hours without ever getting sick, and for some people fatty foods are a big trigger.  But could certainly be a gallbladder issue, too, so definitely get a doc's opinion to help figure out what's going on.

Not lame at all... welcome aboard!  Glad you adopted this band of misfits (and the Sabres, too).  ;)

So the tax plan looks to eliminate my deduction for state and local taxes. That sucks. I sure hope this sputters out like the rest of mr. man's ideas. If the middle class needs to give more I think I'd rather donate the difference between the two to a charity of my choice..... I always chose one that feeds people because I grew up without enough to eat. That happens a LOT in this country.

I wish you all could see what happened when I tried to grow one a few weeks ago.  Those of you who were at the meetup, well, that was three days' growth.

I went on my family vacation and lasted a few more days.

I just looked dirty.