The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

26 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I have been trying to see it all week.  I typically can't sit, or stand, still for very long before I get bored and wander off.  That will be when this thingie does it's thing.  Yup.

Ritalin it is ...

It can't be that bad.  I can figure out every word you typed here. 

Your typing is very goodly.

Ahh see I made this post on my phone. Swipe on the touchscreen. 

I'm making a mess out of commands on AutoCAD today though ?

13 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Just got back from Walwart, I bought a pair of shorts. Get back on line and the ads all says "Shorts for sale" 

Google reads credit cards 

Google listens to the mic on your phone.

On 7/21/2020 at 6:17 PM, Zamboni said:

Anyone gonna try to see Neowise tonight?

Wife and I will be going up to a park along Lake Ontario and see if We can grab a glimpse of Neowise. Take some binocs with me.

Went the other night, got an OKAY shot...

image.thumb.png.fca831d4f4aaba80a51cca579377be4b.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 7/18/2020 at 11:09 PM, inkman said:

She has a brindle pattern so I'm assuming her Aussie Shep is showing there.  She definitely reminds me my old lab, but she's def got something else in there.  

Now that I think about it, the neighbor with the puppy Ella is also from Rochester. Doppelgänger?

Seriously iPhone, you put those double dots over the a?

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

Now that I think about it, the neighbor with the puppy Ella is also from Rochester. Doppelgänger?

Seriously iPhone, you put those double dots over the a?

I wish it would put them over the n like in Spinal Tap.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I just tested your theory. Will report back.

It’s not a theory. Someone from Google (CTO?) was directly asked (paraphrasing) if it should be a common courtesy when someone visits you to let them know that you use a Google product so they know that someone else might be listening. He didn’t say no. He then said that they only listen to about 1 percent of their users conversations. 1 percent of a billion and a half users.

This is a great show about this and other scary stuff.

https://www.wfmu.org/playlists/TD

Edited by SwampD

13 minutes ago, SwampD said:

It’s not a theory. Someone from Google (CTO?) was directly asked (paraphrasing) if it should be a common courtesy when someone visits you to let them know that you use a Google product so they know that someone else might be listening. He didn’t say no. He then said that they only listen to about 1 percent of their users conversations. 1 percent of a billion and a half users.

This is a great show about this and other scary stuff.

https://www.wfmu.org/playlists/TD

Would these be Google apps where you give permission for them to access your microphone? Or just plain old Googling?

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Would these be Google apps where you give permission for them to access your microphone? Or just plain old Googling?

Not sure. It’s in one of those radio shows but I can’t find it. I’ll keep looking.

A thank-you note from Curtis Lazar

by Curtis Lazar @CurtisLazar95 / Sabres.com
 July 23, 2020
cut.jpg

I'll never forget my first game as a Sabre. 

I got called up to play at KeyBank Center against Carolina. We were down two, and all of a sudden, it's kind of like the stars aligned and the hockey gods were with me. 

I get in a lane, I block a shot, I go in on a breakaway and I score. The place went crazy. 

The story of my career to that point had been, I do all that right, but the finish isn't there. To see it go in, I just felt at home. KeyBank Center is such a loud arena. Hearing those fans cheer for me, feeling that support - it was the perfect start to my time in Buffalo. 

cut.jpg

Lazar buries breakaway goal

• 00:47 • November 14th, 2019

It continued throughout the season. Here's an example. I was out shopping for a dehumidifier and a kid recognized me. He looks at me and goes, 'Hey, you're the faceoff guy.' That's how I became known in Buffalo - the faceoff guy. Here I am, the new kid on the block, and I go out to dinner and people are bringing up overtime faceoffs. 

The thing I have learned about Sabres fans is that they recognize those small details. I feel like all they want is hard work and effort. And that is the foundation of my game. I might not always be successful, but I'm always going to give it my all and it's going to be very hard to beat me. I'm going to be very physical and strong. 

But I love the entertainment aspect of the game, too. I'm always smiling. I love interacting with the fans. I want to make it a chance for them to enjoy the night.

I usually stay away from online comments, but I couldn't help but notice the positive feedback when I received the Masterton Trophy nomination in June. It was very comforting and reassuring, knowing the people in Buffalo truly enjoy having me on their side. That makes me very proud and makes me want to go out there and get the team back to the playoffs even more.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Curtis is really angling for a new contract.

(Hope he gets one)

He should get 1.  If Larssons & Girgensons are both back (which seems unlikely) then Lazar is the 13th F.  If either is gone, he slots into their place in training camp & likely holds off the challengers.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Curtis is really angling for a new contract.

(Hope he gets one)

I could never be this cynical.

If Lazar's reaction to getting approached in public is genuine, and I have no reason to think it's not, that's big in this market. Remember how Drury talked about being approached in Wegmans (I think), and the thinking was someone like Chris didn't really enjoy the interaction.

The Sabres should draft and acquire players who fit in here. It's not hard to imagine that the players who've talked about how much they hated playing in Buffalo were in the Drury camp. Why bring in guys like that in the first place? (Yes, there is a big problem with my thinking, Drury's performance itself. Outlier, that one, innhe?)

29 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

If Lazar's reaction to getting approached in public is genuine, and I have no reason to think it's not, that's big in this market. Remember how Drury talked about being approached in Wegmans (I think), and the thinking was someone like Chris didn't really enjoy the interaction.

The Sabres should draft and acquire players who fit in here. It's not hard to imagine that the players who've talked about how much they hated playing in Buffalo were in the Drury camp. Why bring in guys like that in the first place? (Yes, there is a big problem with my thinking, Drury's performance itself. Outlier, that one, innhe?)

What's next, you will be going after Mike Peca! Lol, just kidding. 

Maybe its not so much the place, but maybe he feels Buffalo gave him that chance to get his career going and its worked so far. What bad memories could he possibly have about the place where his career were reborn? 

48 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Forgive the lame attempt to be funny I think Curtis is genuine. I think from a personality perspective he is exactly what the fans in Buffalo want and need right now.

15 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Maybe its not so much the place, but maybe he feels Buffalo gave him that chance to get his career going and its worked so far. What bad memories could he possibly have about the place where his career were reborn? 

This is true as well. 

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Forgive the lame attempt to be funny I think Curtis is genuine. I think from a personality perspective he is exactly what the fans in Buffalo want and need right now.

This is true as well. 

I'll forgive yours if you forgive mine.