The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

Nope. All theirs (from what the articles state). Think about it: If they were foster kids, there would be child welfare people on site at least once in a while.

It's still a very gameable system. Some people farm foster kids.

The owners manual for my new stove has "Sabbath" mode. Some observant Jews take not working on the Sabbath very seriously, which includes pressing buttons, switches, and the like. I'm not sure how I understand how the stove works then, but you can read more here:

http://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-support-search-content?contentId=17357

How do companies make 'free or money back' guarantees on subjective aspects? 

Ex: This is the best underwear you'll ever own. It it's not money back,  guaranteed

They know most people won't ask for the money back. If their per-unit cost is a $1, and they charge $10, they only need 1 of 10 people to *not* return the item and they break even on the units. That doesn't pay for all the other costs (ads, salaries, etc.), but far fewer than 9 of 10 people will return stuff.

On a related note, a few times MrsPie and I have asked to return items to Amazon only to have the vendor say, "keep it, and we refund it anyway". On some items, it's more hassle/cost for them to receive the open-box/used item and trash it than it is to just eat the cost of the item. Think of it this way, if they're only making a dollar or two on an item, it doesn't make sense to pay someone to process the return.

They know most people won't ask for the money back. If their per-unit cost is a $1, and they charge $10, they only need 1 of 10 people to *not* return the item and they break even on the units. That doesn't pay for all the other costs (ads, salaries, etc.), but far fewer than 9 of 10 people will return stuff.

On a related note, a few times MrsPie and I have asked to return items to Amazon only to have the vendor say, "keep it, and we refund it anyway". On some items, it's more hassle/cost for them to receive the open-box/used item and trash it than it is to just eat the cost of the item. Think of it this way, if they're only making a dollar or two on an item, it doesn't make sense to pay someone to process the return.

Actually makes sense, thanks. I was thinking that they were just finding some loophole to not honor their deal. Turns out they are

Reminds me of

A7FKzTW.gif

I don't know. I don't let other men change my wipers for me.

Yep. Or check my oil. My car was guzzling oil and eventually needed a whole new engine due to recall (hoorayy) and until I could get it in for heart surgery I was checking/filling it up in the Autozone parking lot. If I had a nickel for every dipstick who wanted to give the little lady unsolicited advice about my car, how to properly check my oil, and oil type or comments about me doing it in a dress and heels I'd have had that oil paid for. My pride gets in the way. I get bristly at being the damsel in distress. Doubt you guys ever get that much attention. Chivalry ain't dead I guess. 

..but if I did need help, I'm standing right next to that guy and watching/asking questions so I can have a better clue next time and do it myself if possible. 

Edited by ABBA_älskare_69

I had a washing machine for over 20 years.  The last 10 of that it had a weird quirk:  The vibrations would case the limit switch on the lid to move *just a little* and the machine would think the lid was open and wouldn't work.  I replaced the switch once or twice but then I figured out it wasn't the switch, it was the little piece that held it.  So whenever it stopped working I would just loosen the screw and slide it until it worked again.  After about 10 years of that foolishness I finally bought a new washer & dryer.

I had a washing machine for over 20 years.  The last 10 of that it had a weird quirk:  The vibrations would case the limit switch on the lid to move *just a little* and the machine would think the lid was open and wouldn't work.  I replaced the switch once or twice but then I figured out it wasn't the switch, it was the little piece that held it.  So whenever it stopped working I would just loosen the screw and slide it until it worked again.  After about 10 years of that foolishness I finally bought a new washer & dryer.

Should've just duct taped the durn thing. Could've gotten another 10 out of it. ;)

Fortunately you'll never have this problem again because you'll be replacing your washer every 7-8 years now. 

Should've just duct taped the durn thing. Could've gotten another 10 out of it. ;)

For whatever reason I couldn't get it to *not* move, including, yes, duct tape.  The weird thing is that it was a two-way limit switch.  If it was adjusted too far the other way, the switch also cut off.  I never understood the reasoning for it, but it was documented in the electrical schematic and everything.

For whatever reason I couldn't get it to *not* move, including, yes, duct tape.  The weird thing is that it was a two-way limit switch.  If it was adjusted too far the other way, the switch also cut off.  I never understood the reasoning for it, but it was documented in the electrical schematic and everything.

So, did you need the circuit open or closed to have the washer work?

Either jump the switch or open it, accordingly. (Realizing your wife would have needed to make sure she didn't try to add additional garments after the start of the wash cycle. ;))