The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

Anyone familiar with pm2, or npm at all?

Not in any useful manner, but yes to npm. I just spent a few minutes reading through the Yarn package docs to see if it made sense for the isolated dev system we're running, as well as the very-isolated system that'll be deployed at to the customer. NPM itself seems similar to repos for other languages (CPAN for perl, PIP for Python, etc.).

Not in any useful manner, but yes to npm. I just spent a few minutes reading through the Yarn package docs to see if it made sense for the isolated dev system we're running, as well as the very-isolated system that'll be deployed at to the customer. NPM itself seems similar to repos for other languages (CPAN for perl, PIP for Python, etc.).

Can you explain that a little more clearly? I'm trying to use it for a pi setup and the install is a nightmare. As far as I can tell, it's some tree-node based compiler?

Can you explain that a little more clearly? I'm trying to use it for a pi setup and the install is a nightmare. As far as I can tell, it's some tree-node based compiler?

Oh, either we're talking about different things or I've completely missed the point of the tool. This is the npm I'm looking at:

https://www.npmjs.com/

Does it seem like the flag is perpetually at half staff? I just looked it up and it was at half staff for Las Vegas and Texas. It was at half staff at some locations I saw it today, and I couldn't find an answer as to why, unless they forget to raise it again from before.

Nope, this is definitely it. I'm the one completely missing the point of the tool. Might explain a lot :lol:

:)

As far as I can tell, npm is a Node.js version of things like apt or yum for OSs. There's a bunch of libraries and modules in npm, that you can 'npm install foomatic' and then use the foomatic library in your own code. Similar how you can do 'yum install emacs' to install a software package on an OS. NPM should take care of dependencies, so if the foomatic library needs the barorama package to function, it'll install both for you. It's a cool way to manage software libraries, but it has some pitfalls.

The main pitfall is when the package you install changes, it might break your code. Or, a while back some guy rage-quit one of the package manager tools and pulled his packages, but one of his packages was required by tons of sites and broke things. That's where something like (as far as I can tell) the npm "yarn" package comes it. It acts as a proxy and cache for npm, so you're only downloading packages from your local yarn cache. That way, if a package disappears off the internet, you still have a copy so your stuff doesn't break. And, from what I understand you can keep the package versions stable so something doesn't change under you without warning and break everything.

But I'm just a network/system guy, not a developer so there may be glaring errors in all that. :)

Anyone like a good Click and Clack-style car mystery?

The other day we got a couple of inches of heavy, wet snow. I failed to clear the snow off the windshield before turning on the wipers. The wipers wouldn't budge, but when I cleared the snow off manually, the wipers were freed and made a couple of weakish passes. I don't think I used the wipers after that, on that trip. The next time I started the car and tried to use the wipers... nothing. No swipes, but motor sounds.

I couldn't get in to my regular mechanic, so today I went to a chain location that is somewhat infamous, at least here, for being shady. I wasn't shown anything and didn't watch what they were doing (the hood was up, anyway), but their determination was that I need a new wiper transmission that has to be ordered from a dealer. 300 bucks.

I didn't approve the repair and started driving home. On a lark, I tried the wipers and they worked. The only difference from before is that on the cycle with the fastest wiping, there's sort of a heavy, clunking, pounding sound when they return to their starting point.

Why would they work if the transmission is bad? (I didn't even know there was such a thing.) There's an old saying about taking something apart and putting it back together as a good way of fixing something. Did they inadvertently fix it? Or do nothing, and the whole thing's a scam, and whatever was wrong coincidentally went away for whatever reason?

One possible clue is that the car went from sitting outside, where it's parked all the time, into a heated garage for over an hour.

My guess is that there is ice in the linkage between the two wipers.  If you could get it totally, 100% warmed up/dried out it might be fine.

23621471_1450875864961299_68896346837871

So my wife took her to the vet and she's a member of the family now.  Her full name is Zelda Zoomie Macchiata.  The vet sez she's a 6-month-old hound-heeler-terrier mix.

Edited by Doohickie

The other day we got a couple of inches of heavy, wet snow. I failed to clear the snow off the windshield before turning on the wipers. The wipers wouldn't budge, but when I cleared the snow off manually, the wipers were freed and made a couple of weakish passes. I don't think I used the wipers after that, on that trip. The next time I started the car and tried to use the wipers... nothing. No swipes, but motor sounds.

I couldn't get in to my regular mechanic, so today I went to a chain location that is somewhat infamous, at least here, for being shady. I wasn't shown anything and didn't watch what they were doing (the hood was up, anyway), but their determination was that I need a new wiper transmission that has to be ordered from a dealer. 300 bucks.

I didn't approve the repair and started driving home. On a lark, I tried the wipers and they worked. The only difference from before is that on the cycle with the fastest wiping, there's sort of a heavy, clunking, pounding sound when they return to their starting point.

Why would they work if the transmission is bad? (I didn't even know there was such a thing.) There's an old saying about taking something apart and putting it back together as a good way of fixing something. Did they inadvertently fix it? Or do nothing, and the whole thing's a scam, and whatever was wrong coincidentally went away for whatever reason?

One possible clue is that the car went from sitting outside, where it's parked all the time, into a heated garage for over an hour.

Those transmissions are tricky things.  Lots of linkages.  I wouldn't be surprised if it is the wiper transmission, but a 2nd opinion is not a bad idea.

Hypothesis:  When you turned on the wipers, the motor turned, but the ice had everything jammed up and the torque from the motor bent a linkage.  It may have been disturbed enough by the service check to work the wipers, but there may still be bent linkage problems.  Using it with buggered up linkages will overheat the motor and either the motor will fail or you will blow a fuse from the motor needing more current to do its job.

Just saw an 07 Infinity G35 that was painted matte gunmetal, it was lowered and stanced. It also had the G35 badge replaced with a GT-R badge and across the trunk, where it should say Infinity, it said Skyline.

Oh, hell no! That might be worse than the Fiero turned Ferrari kit car.

Just saw an 07 Infinity G35 that was painted matte gunmetal, it was lowered and stanced. It also had the G35 badge replaced with a GT-R badge and across the trunk, where it should say Infinity, it said Skyline.

Oh, hell no! That might be worse than the Fiero turned Ferrari kit car.

That is tragic. I could allow it if you did a body kit to make it look like a Skyline, but you can't call it a GT-R because the GT-R is a separate car from the Skyline by 2007. That's some lazy rebadging.

That is tragic. I could allow it if you did a body kit to make it look like a Skyline, but you can't call it a GT-R because the GT-R is a separate car from the Skyline by 2007. That's some lazy rebadging.

It was very upsetting, considering I own an 07 G35.