The Eichel Scrapbook!

Randall Flagg

• 3 weeks later...

I actually don't think that's his best. I think his highest-skill-goal was the Columbus one. His "best" that takes the situation into account is the Carolina OT goal for me.

I think this one is on par with the game at home against Philly early last season, his 4th goal ever where he walked into the slot from the wing and went back to his spot, a foot off the ice on the blocker side, opposite his direction of motion. 99% of players would sky it up and right when cutting in that way, he went low and back left. 

This one was definitely great though. I couldn't do that from that angle with a ball in a driveway moving slower. 

Has Jack ever scored a bad goal? Like a whip it at the net, it bounces off of 5 people and happens to go in goal? I can't think of one. Every goal of his is highlight reel worthy.

I think his first goal against Boston after Christmas was a bouncer last year. I think he was looking for Kane in front and it went off a defenders skate.

But you're right. Almost all of his goals are highly skilled, highlight worthy goals. I just remember that cheap one cause it was against Boston in one of his best games.

Then again, maybe he knew it would go in off Kane OR a defender and made it happen.

His first game back he just chucked one at the net.

His first goal this year in his first game back was a sweet one-timer.

His 3rd goal, in his second game was maybe the one you are referring to, where he tossed it to the slot and it banked off a skate and in. Against the Rangers.

You should post it here.

(Oops. Wrong thread. I thought I was in the Scrapbook thread.)

For those that missed it, I fell victim to some black ice in a parking lot last month. One fibula fracture, displaced ankle, and ruptured ligament later, I wound up with eight screws and a plate in my ankle. Not to be kept down, I made the most of the situation with a once-in-a-lifetime photo op. Here's to hoping I have the same impact on my workplace when I return next week :P

ZDcstxE.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

With two assists tonight against the Florida Panthers, Jack Eichel became one of just 9 forwards in the NHL to produce at a point-per-game pace this year for a stretch longer than half of a season. 

Taking a bit of a step back, many of us were expecting 70-75 points this season from him, a healthy increase from the solid 56 point total he put up in his rookie year.  Before hit the fan with his injury and the development of this team into an even strength scoring black hole for much of the season. 

Here he is, spending much of the time on an ankle that was obviously straining, flying around in a possession-averse system, with 55 points in 55 games, producing at an 82 point clip, in today's NHL. With so much room to grow in his all-around game and possession stats that WILL improve with systemic upgrades and personal development, by a lot. Already at a point per game. 1 point behind his rookie year totals in 26 fewer games. 

To quote That Aud Smell, halfway through the third period in Jack's third game: "I can't believe what I just saw. I can't believe that kid is a Sabre."

The hushed awe that came over me every time I watched hockey as a child, or stepped outside onto the rink or driveway in the crisp winter air, stick in hand, eyes wide with wonder and face flushed with excitement. I thought it was gone, tossed in the trash heap with all of the other naive perspectives that shape the way a young human sees the world. Stamped out like most of my hopes and dreams.

I am truly thankful for Jack Eichel because he allows me to tap back into that. He makes the nostalgia real. I can be a kid again, and bellow pure happiness to the rafters when he snipes a puck top shelf directly in my line of view, silencing every single Leafs fan in the vicinity. 

Now go build a team around this kid so he can carry us to Lord Stanley, eh?

To quote That Aud Smell, halfway through the third period in Jack's third game: "I can't believe what I just saw. I can't believe that kid is a Sabre."

I mean it when I say (type) it: Thanks for remembering that. 

I remember that feeling. I STILL get that feeling - regularly. Simple stuff. Like, when he cruises toward a puck battle down low, turns his hips, and just SHRUGS off an NHL d-man.

That's the guy I want on my team.... Direct FU to the leafers... You could tell he didn't want Matthews to outdo him

He could still catch Matthews for points scored this season.

ezgif-2-bbbe761763.gif

So great.

One gripe: Those Sabre fans who WEREN'T ALREADY STANDING as Jack approached deserve to have "Chet" and "Muffy" scrawled (with glitter puff paint) on the back of those shirts/jerseys they're wearing. 

Days gone by, I used to be a somwhat regular beneficiary of some friends who had seasons in the oranges. Just about every time I got one of those tickets, the directions I received from the STH were the same: Stand up when we score. Give away any prize to a kid.

I mean it when I say (type) it: Thanks for remembering that. 

I remember that feeling. I STILL get that feeling - regularly. Simple stuff. Like, when he cruises toward a puck battle down low, turns his hips, and just SHRUGS off an NHL d-man.

He could still catch Matthews for points scored this season.

So great.

One gripe: Those Sabre fans who WEREN'T ALREADY STANDING as Jack approached deserve to have "Chet" and "Muffy" scrawled (with glitter puff paint) on the back of those shirts/jerseys they're wearing. 

Days gone by, I used to be a somwhat regular beneficiary of some friends who had seasons in the oranges. Just about every time I got one of those tickets, the directions I received from the STH were the same: Stand up when we score. Give away any prize to a kid.

I don't see any Sabres fans who aren't standing -- maybe the woman in yellow, but even she looks like she's standing, to me.

I don't see any Sabres fans who aren't standing -- maybe the woman in yellow, but even she looks like she's standing, to me.

I'll disagree. The only people I see standing are 2 Leaf fans (one with the thumbs down, the other with the middle finger) and those two Sabre fans who are rising from their seats as Eichel approaches the glass (too late for my taste).

Everyone else looks seated to me. See how the two late-risers obscure the view of the fans behind them once they stand? See how the guy next to the lady in the yellow Sabres jersey is - what - rubbing his ear? That dude's seated.

Edited by That Aud Smell

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.