Kane and the kids

dudacek

Not sure how many caught Hoppes interview with Evander about his poor start.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-evander-kane-searching-first-goal/

Two things caught my eye:

Kane referred to Jack as "my centre"

He also talked about his chemistry with Jack and Sam on and off the ice.

The live near each other and hang out a lot.

It showed a sense of connection to the team I've never seen in Evander.

And it made it pretty clear he's tight with the kids.

Curious what people think about that.

Will read later.

Inevitably, the passage of time has cooled my emotional reaction to his douchebaggery and 3 a.m. bar fight idiocy.

But I remain wary. Tigers don't change their stripes, and all.

OTOH, maybe (apparently*) solid guys like Eichel and Reinhart can have their own sort of stabilizing influence on Kane.

Finally, I thought this was going to be a link to some puff piece about Kane visiting with a local Boys and Girls club or something.

* Like, what do I know? 

I think its a good thing. Sam and Eich are too smart to be caught up in anything and it grounds Kane a little. Hanging out that is.

Another benefit to Kaner being on the kids' line and being friends with them off the ice:  he's an effective policeman on the ice.  I noticed him mixing it up vs Ottawa with a Senator who had taken a shot at Eichel's legs.

I think Kane came into this season wanting to make amends for his offseason and establish himself as an important player on this team -- and immediately got hurt on an aggressive play.  He came back pretty quickly, no doubt played with a good amount of pain, and was unable to break the Sabres' offensive constipation by himself.  Now that Jackie boy is back, Kane is back in an optimal on-ice situation.  He played over 20 min vs Ottawa -- 2nd-highest on the team among forwards.

I expect him to start crushing it, and for that line to be highly entertaining and dangerous pretty much every shift.

Go Sabres.

Good article, and I think he and Eichel will have plenty of good chemistry.

Will read later.

Inevitably, the passage of time has cooled my emotional reaction to his douchebaggery and 3 a.m. bar fight idiocy.

OTOH, maybe (apparently*) solid guys like Eichel and Reinhart can have their own sort of stabilizing influence on Kane.

Finally, I thought this was going to be a link to some puff piece about Kane visiting with a local Boys and Girls club or something.

* Like, what do I know? 

I think its a good thing. Sam and Eich are too smart to be caught up in anything and it grounds Kane a little. Hanging out that is.

Don't be so sure about Jack.  I'm starting to hear that he likes to party.  A lot.

Meh. I never bought the stuff out of Winnipeg that he was a bad teammate or anything like that, and I don't think being friends off the ice will suddenly imbue him with hockey sense. It's obviously better than a clash like he had with Byfuglien and Ladd, but don't think it means much on the ice (I think he'd stick up for the kids on ice even if they weren't close off it).

Another benefit to Kaner being on the kids' line and being friends with them off the ice: he's an effective policeman on the ice. I noticed him mixing it up vs Ottawa with a Senator who had taken a shot at Eichel's legs.

I think Kane came into this season wanting to make amends for his offseason and establish himself as an important player on this team -- and immediately got hurt on an aggressive play. He came back pretty quickly, no doubt played with a good amount of pain, and was unable to break the Sabres' offensive constipation by himself. Now that Jackie boy is back, Kane is back in an optimal on-ice situation. He played over 20 min vs Ottawa -- 2nd-highest on the team among forwards.

I expect him to start crushing it , and for that line to be highly entertaining and dangerous pretty much every shift.

Go Sabres.

Define crushing it.

Don't be so sure about Jack. I'm starting to hear that he likes to party. A lot.

Given what we know of his personality, I'd be shocked if he didn't like to party.

As much as we may hate pairing Kane with Eichel and Rhino, it seems that this was the plan all along, or at least the first version of the plan. Kane might be the only player on our team with the speed to keep up with Eichel (or at least be in the neighborhood) on the rush, and does provide a toughness to address any cheap shots on the kids, while still having the talent to not nuke the chances like a Foligno or similar plumber would.

25+ goal pace

Top 3 among Sabre forwards in ice time

1st or 2nd in SOG

1st or 2nd in hits

Contributes on the PK

Sign me up.

The only time I saw Kane really flub a play on that line the other night was when he was trying TOO hard to get Jack the puck. And Jack and Sam also made some errors throughout the game. I'd call their first game together a good one, and one that looked more like their March-ish time together last year than the October time together.

As much as we may hate pairing Kane with Eichel and Rhino, it seems that this was the plan all along, or at least the first version of the plan. Kane might be the only player on our team with the speed to keep up with Eichel (or at least be in the neighborhood) on the rush, and does provide a toughness to address any cheap shots on the kids, while still having the talent to not nuke the chances like a Foligno or similar plumber would.

Oh, I definitely think it was the plan. Bylsma can't help himself with the speed combo of Jack and Kane. I just hate it, and your last sentence is why: he absolutely does nuke chances like Foligno does. He has dead hands. Remember how long it took Jack to register an assist last year? Big part of that was Kane flubbing golden chance after golden chance.

Sign me up.

The only time I saw Kane really flub a play on that line the other night was when he was trying TOO hard to get Jack the puck. And Jack and Sam also made some errors throughout the game. I'd call their first game together a good one, and one that looked more like their March-ish time together last year than the October time together.

YOU! When did you break your shackles and jump off my anti-Kane&Eichel bandwagon?

Oh, I definitely think it was the plan. Bylsma can't help himself with the speed combo of Jack and Kane. I just hate it, and your last sentence is why: he absolutely does nuke chances like Foligno does. He has dead hands. Remember how long it took Jack to register an assist last year? Big part of that was Kane flubbing golden chance after golden chance.

YOU! When did you break your shackles and jump off my anti-Kane&Eichel bandwagon?

I'm still ready to move him for Zemgus or someone if things go bad. But I honestly believe Zemgus is not right right now and would be worse on that line, I like Carrier where he is, and I don't want Foligno there, so I'm willing to be patient.

Plus, if it really does go bad after a while this time, that might be the final nail in the coffin.

I think the hope is that Kane at least has demonstrated the ability to score goals in this league, even if it was many years ago. Last night I didn't see Kane flubbing any chances, and in fact manufactured one by throwing it off of Rhino's skate in the most Kane-like shot imaginable.

there is something to be said about the forecheck ability and tenacity in the corners to help maintain zone time for our young stars. Kane can bring that.

Don't be so sure about Jack.  I'm starting to hear that he likes to party.  A lot.

Right, hence:

* Like, what do I know? 

At any rate, a guy who likes to rip it up on a night off is not a guy about whom I worry. Kane was evidently into some other stuff that I did worry about, and quite disliked.

Stated another way: You can like to party up and be a solid guy. Cripes - especially when you're 19, 20, frickin' years old (and beyond, for that matter).

There was (is) a vocal school of thought that suggested Murray was dumb to acquire Kane in the first place and needed (needs) to move him fast before he corrupts the kids.

I never did buy that.

Even if the kids were corruptible, and even if Kane were likely to corrupt them, I think there are others on the team that would never let that happen.

Will read later.

* Like, what do I know? 

I thought the paternity tests finally came in.

(Am I a bad person?)

I was hoping that Kane would get a fresh start here and grow into the player the scouts thought he'd become. However, I think the chances of that are diminishing with each passing game. I wrote in the expansion thread about his diminishing shooting %. This is a terrible sign for a guy who is supposed to be a sniper. His 7.4% last season was below the Sabres 8.2% and well below the leagues 9.0%. With ROR, Okposo, Jack and Sam, he isn't getting 1st line PP time now or ever. To give a comparison Vanek's career % is 15.1 and Ovie's is 12.4. Even Jason, 'shoot it wide', Pominville's career % is 11.5.

At this point, I don't care what his relationship with the kids is, it's time for GMTM to see if someone will take him off our hands and free up cap space to improve the D group.

I think Zemgus needs Jack's help to get his mojo back.

I also think Kane is going to go hard and tilt the ice in our favor when he's out there, no matter who he's with.

As for the Kane assist to Samson the other night, I slammed him at the time for missing a wide open Jack in the slot. The way I see it there are two ways to look at it: 1) Kane knew not to try too much and made the right play throwing it into a dangerous area. 2) Kane didn't see Jack.

I think #2 is more likely. Even if it was #1, I don't think that's a point in favor of keeping Kane with Eichel.

I think Zemgus needs Jack's help to get his mojo back.

I also think Kane is going to go hard and tilt the ice in our favor when he's out there, no matter who he's with.

As for the Kane assist to Samson the other night, I slammed him at the time for missing a wide open Jack in the slot. The way I see it there are two ways to look at it: 1) Kane knew not to try too much and made the right play throwing it into a dangerous area. 2) Kane didn't see Jack.

I think #2 is more likely. Even if it was #1, I don't think that's a point in favor of keeping Kane with Eichel.

Agree on Girgensons & in general about Kane.

That assist seemed (prior to the puck ending up in the net) to be a typical Kane play: work really hard to get the puck, gain as much real estate towards the net as possible & then throw the puck hard towards (note: towards, not at) the net and, as is far too typical, from a bad angle.

Awesome that it worked. He & Reinhart both were due some puck luck. More often than not, it won't work.

There was (is) a vocal school of thought that suggested Murray was dumb to acquire Kane in the first place and needed (needs) to move him fast before he corrupts the kids.

I never did buy that.

The jury's still out in my opinion.  I'll take a wait and see attitude.  I know antics and all that, but ultimately I'll let the legal system disposition the off-ice stuff if necessary, and concern myself with the on-ice performance.

I thought the paternity tests finally came in.

:flirt:

Agree on Girgensons & in general about Kane.

That assist seemed (prior to the puck ending up in the net) to be a typical Kane play: work really hard to get the puck, gain as much real estate towards the net as possible & then throw the puck hard towards (note: towards, not at) the net and, as is far too typical, from a bad angle.

Awesome that it worked. He & Reinhart both were due some puck luck. More often than not, it won't work.

Did I hear right that Kane had a talkin' to by Bylsma? Specifically to stop just shooting the low percentage "throw it at the net" shot?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.