Kane and the kids

dudacek

I was hoping that Kane would get a fresh start here and grow into the player the scouts thought he'd become. However, I think the chances of that are diminishing with each passing game. I wrote in the expansion thread about his diminishing shooting %. This is a terrible sign for a guy who is supposed to be a sniper. His 7.4% last season was below the Sabres 8.2% and well below the leagues 9.0%. With ROR, Okposo, Jack and Sam, he isn't getting 1st line PP time now or ever. To give a comparison Vanek's career % is 15.1 and Ovie's is 12.4. Even Jason, 'shoot it wide', Pominville's career % is 11.5.

At this point, I don't care what his relationship with the kids is, it's time for GMTM to see if someone will take him off our hands and free up cap space to improve the D group.

The expectations for Kane are reminding me of the Chad Ruhwedal phenomenon. For whatever reason, people started to lump Rudy into the McNabb, McCabe, defensive prospect category without really evaluating what he was. Which was an AHL player.

Kane had been lauded a super star, a sniper, an elite player. Those expectations were Winnipegs. We have figured out who he is, a skating, hitting,fighting, shooting savant. Don't expect anything more from him. He's not going to be a sniper or a playmaker. He might notch 20 if he gets enough PP time but I'm not sure that's in the fold for him anymore.

Edited by inkman

Did I hear right that Kane had a talkin' to by Bylsma? Specifically to stop just shooting the low percentage "throw it at the net" shot?

I certainly hope so. Interesting stat on WGR (I think yesterday morning, but could have been today): Kane's average shot distance from the net has increased every single year he's been in the league. I affectionately dub this The Drew Stafford Trajectory.

Helps to explain his declining shooting percentage as more than bad luck, anyway.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.