GDT: NY Rangers at Buffalo, 7:00 PM ET 12/1/2016

Doohickie

Good to have Eichel back. Too bad they didn't give him the 3rd drawn penalty when his buddy 26 cross checked him w/ about 3 minutes left. Might have gotten that elusive 2nd consecutive 5th goal. (Aside: mildly surprised Pi never gave having his # already taken in Buffalo for a reason Spoiled Jimmy didn't come to WNY. ;))

Fully understand Bylsma's reasoning on putting Kane out w/ the kids, his breakaway led eventually to Jack's bankshot goal, but in the 1 shift he had w/ the kids, Girgensons showed the chemistry w/ those guys he displayed last year. Would still like to see that combo more often.

Liked that Jack was on the ice towards the end. Pretty sure DB would like to have gotten O'Reilly & Larsson out for Jack & Kane at the very end, but it worked.

Fedun's oopses today were why though he could prove to be a reasonable #6, he'll never be a #4. Real speed puts too much pressure on him. He hasn't faced a team that brings the pressure the Rags do.

Right now the team is definitely running on the Eichel high. It'll be interesting to see how much of it's adrenaline & how much is Eichel. Without the adrenaline, this team probably doesn't win tonight, but if they can keep the key pieces healthy (& even get some other ones healthy) they should battle for a playoff spot. Can't get those 3-4 lost points on the 1st road trip out of my head. Hopefully they don't end up being the difference; they'll definitely make it closer than it should be. The full Moe-ray-all & TB are the only 2 teams that are definitely better on paper than the Sabres in division. Would have been nice to be even w/ the other scrubs at game 22 rather than spotting them all a couple.

And Kane seems to have been healthy for about a week (that's about when he started shooting again) & since Eichel came back O'Reilly's skating seems less labored. Hopefully he's healthy & it isn't just having a lot less weight on his back that's allowing him to have the extra spring to his step. If they are healthy, the timing only builds on the Legend of the Eichel. Awesome. :beer:

Fun game. Definitely looking forward to Saturday's matinee.

Right now the team is definitely running on the Eichel high. It'll be interesting to see how much of it's adrenaline & how much is Eichel. Without the adrenaline, this team probably doesn't win tonight

I'm kind of hoping that by the time the Eichel High wears off, the team has exorcised some of the bad habits that crept in and have moved closer to a culture of winning.

Nice win but really disappointed that Moulson's production has dropped off since 15 came back and stole his ice time. I mean he just steps back in the lineup and no more PP1 for Matty Moulson their leading goal scorer... cmon Bylsma figure it out! </sarcasm>

Nice win but really disappointed that Moulson's production has dropped off since 15 came back and stole his ice time. I mean he just steps back in the lineup and no more PP1 for Matty Moulson their leading goal scorer... cmon Bylsma figure it out! </sarcasm>

If we get today's even-strength Moulson for the rest of the season, he'll still pick up some points. He didn't appear to be a liability defensively and had one or two real nice takeaways that led to chances.

First game I've been able to attend this year and the boys did not disappoint. The barn was bumpin tonight.

I was curious about this.  There were quite a few empty seats in the lower level that were visible on TV, but it sounded respectably loud.  How full was the arena?

THREE even-strength goals. Against King Henrik

Also, it was easy to miss, but I think Zemgus played his best period in a long time in the third.

I think DDB had Zemgus on with ROR and KO for most of the 3rd.  That line wasn't doing much -- he tried Moulson in Carrier's spot a couple of shifts and then went with Zemgus.  I agree -- Zemgus looked good on that line.  I'd expect to see it again on Sat.

Ahh gotcha.

As an aside, I forgot how much I could love this team. I'm on cloud 9 right now :beer:

I've never been on this board when we've been good. I want to experience this place during a playoff run

I really, really, REALLY like hockey.

Yeah baby!  Yeah!

He's got a long way to go before we start comparing him to Perreault.  Sorry for me, but I am old enough to remember that smooth skater that would be slow by today's standards, but still smoother than most.

I beg to differ.  He would be really GD fast today too, albeit not as fast as McDavid & McKinnon.

Separately -- my game notes:

- Did that really just happen?  Did Eichel really take over the game with 7 minutes to go and get the Sabres a win against the #3 team in the NHL standings?

- The 3 forwards on the ice to close out a tough win against a loaded offensive team:  Gionta, Eichel and Kane.

- Speaking of Gionta -- that was a professional finish he applied on his goal (his fifth of the season -- good pace for an older gentleman).

- I think Kane hit the crossbar on the streak to the net (Iwhich was really GD fast, btw) right before the GWG.

- Nifty pass by KO to spring Jack on the GTG.

- I loved Foligno giving the shove/high-5 to everyone on their way off the ice.

- I didn't love Nilsson's game but he did make a number of really good saves, including one with 20 sec or so to go that someone else noted upthread.

- I think most of this board owes Cody Franson an apology (even though Kreider sailed around him on a drive to the net 5 seconds into the game).

- Still 5 under DeLuca .500, but there is life!  Hope!  Hockey!!

What the hell has gotten into Bylsma??  He is letting them play a free-wheeling, back and forth game that is actually fun to watch and not trying to put fans to sleep trying to out-defense the opponent to a 1-0 win...we score, we win, we are entertaining...and Eichel is about to become a star...he is just so freaking good, its scary...

Bylsma....let them keep playing this way...they are good at this game...no so much at the bore the other team to sleep type of game...

Good to have Eichel back. Too bad they didn't give him the 3rd drawn penalty when his buddy 26 cross checked him w/ about 3 minutes left. Might have gotten that elusive 2nd consecutive 5th goal. (Aside: mildly surprised Pi never gave having his # already taken in Buffalo for a reason Spoiled Jimmy didn't come to WNY. ;))

Fully understand Bylsma's reasoning on putting Kane out w/ the kids, his breakaway led eventually to Jack's bankshot goal, but in the 1 shift he had w/ the kids, Girgensons showed the chemistry w/ those guys he displayed last year. Would still like to see that combo more often.

Liked that Jack was on the ice towards the end. Pretty sure DB would like to have gotten O'Reilly & Larsson out for Jack & Kane at the very end, but it worked.

Fedun's oopses today were why though he could prove to be a reasonable #6, he'll never be a #4. Real speed puts too much pressure on him. He hasn't faced a team that brings the pressure the Rags do.

Right now the team is definitely running on the Eichel high. It'll be interesting to see how much of it's adrenaline & how much is Eichel. Without the adrenaline, this team probably doesn't win tonight, but if they can keep the key pieces healthy (& even get some other ones healthy) they should battle for a playoff spot. Can't get those 3-4 lost points on the 1st road trip out of my head. Hopefully they don't end up being the difference; they'll definitely make it closer than it should be. The full Moe-ray-all & TB are the only 2 teams that are definitely better on paper than the Sabres in division. Would have been nice to be even w/ the other scrubs at game 22 rather than spotting them all a couple.

And Kane seems to have been healthy for about a week (that's about when he started shooting again) & since Eichel came back O'Reilly's skating seems less labored. Hopefully he's healthy & it isn't just having a lot less weight on his back that's allowing him to have the extra spring to his step. If they are healthy, the timing only builds on the Legend of the Eichel. Awesome. :beer:

Fun game. Definitely looking forward to Saturday's matinee.

This team needs to keep playing this more open, up and down game...we will win our share of them....a lot more than we will win the 21 game snooze fest where we tried to out-defense teams to a 1-0 win every night...still cannot believe Bylsma had to change the entire way they played because 1 player was out(and yes, I know Eichel is on the verge of becoming a superstar, but still...cmon)...9 goals in 2 games?? That was like a 10 game total before

Edited by matter2003

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.