GDT: NY Rangers at Buffalo, 7:00 PM ET 12/1/2016

Doohickie

Not to take away from the Sabres, but I honestly think the Rangers are due to come back to Earth a little bit here. They're 25th in the league in score-adjusted CF% at 47.18, but have a league-best team SH% of 11.6%, a full 2 percentage points higher than 2nd place.

Makes sense, they play an entirely transitioned based game (GMTMs comment from WGR interview) They rely on the rush, there's no puck possession on that team. Not sure how long it can last, or if it can work in the playoffs; I doubt it though

Ya lost me

Seven to five years ago, every GDT turned into a fire Ruff or not fire Ruff thing.  It was annoying.  Especially if--as I did--you wanted them to keep Ruff.  But whatever your stance, it crept into every thread on the board.

So I will keep my comments about Abylsma to the threads that are about him.

Fedun is very good offensively. Fedun is very dangerous defensively. His clearing passes were routinely picked off tonight

I like Fedun overall.  But I agreee, tonight, he made some uncharacteristic turnovers.

Not to take away from the Sabres, but I honestly think the Rangers are due to come back to Earth a little bit here. They're 25th in the league in score-adjusted CF% at 47.18, but have a league-best team SH% of 11.6%, a full 2 percentage points higher than 2nd place.

That's why everyone knows Vesey will come back down to Earth, too.  Just like Ennis did.

Fedun is very good offensively. Fedun is very dangerous defensively. His clearing passes were routinely picked off tonight

Good point but I will say that for the last week we haven't been playing teams with such an aggressive forecheck, and when the passes connect it really activates the transition game. We haven't gotten burned on a turnover of his yet that I can recall

His impact seems so substantial that I almost don't know if I believe it. It doesn't seem possible that one player could matter this much. 

That's why they tanked.  He is that good.

Whether Bylsma's chicken-###### stuff in his absence was the right move?  Well, that'll be in another thread.  

But Eichel is that good.

I think, if what we're seeing is real, that I actually understand the tank more than I did. I was totally for it, but this, this is different. I've never seen a skater have an impact on his team like this (I would have said player, but Dom...). I never got to see Gilbert, or some of the other greats. I really only started REALLY watching the Sabres after the 04-05 lockout, and while there were some really good/greatish players on those teams, noone was superstar level on their own. If anyone can watch this year and still question the tank, I worry for their capability to feed themselves.

Seven to five years ago, every GDT turned into a fire Ruff or not fire Ruff thing. It was annoying. Especially if--as I did--you wanted them to keep Ruff. But whatever your stance, it crept into every ###### thread on the board.

So I will keep my comments about Abylsma to the threads that are about him.

Ahh gotcha.

As an aside, I forgot how much I could love this team. I'm on cloud 9 right now :beer:

I've never been on this board when we've been good. I want to experience this place during a playoff run

I think, if what we're seeing is real, that I actually understand the tank more than I did. I was totally for it, but this, this is different. I've never seen a skater have an impact on his team like this (I would have said player, but Dom...). I never got to see Gilbert, or some of the other greats. I really only started REALLY watching the Sabres after the 04-05 lockout, and while there were some really good/greatish players on those teams, noone was superstar level on their own. If anyone can watch this year and still question the tank, I worry for their capability to feed themselves.

He's got a long way to go before we start comparing him to Perreault.  Sorry for me, but I am old enough to remember that smooth skater that would be slow by today's standards, but still smoother than most.

Ahh gotcha.

As an aside, I forgot how much I could love this team. I'm on cloud 9 right now :beer:

I've never been on this board when we've been good. I want to experience this place during a playoff run

I have.  It was so, so much fun in May of 2006!  I really hope you get to see that.

He's got a long way to go before we start comparing him to Perreault.  Sorry for me, but I am old enough to remember that smooth skater that would be slow by today's standards, but still smoother than most.

Oh I agree, absolutely. He's just the gold standard to me. I guess I'm saying that I never really accepted the possibility that he COULD be that good. 

No you really really like good entertaining hockey.

What we were watching for the past two years was not hockey. I feel like we are the guys who have just left the cave for the first time

Preach it.

I was as wrong about Jake McCabe as someone can be. He's still got a few shaky moments, but he can move the puck and make decisions fast and plays so intensely.

Nearly 25 minutes tonight, all but 35 seconds 5 on 5.

The miss on that sublime pass by Sam though....

The difference is not just Jack.

It's a team that isn't being coached like fundamentalist preacher's wife steers her beautiful virgin daughters.

They are going for it. They make a few more mistakes, but they make many more plays.

Edited by dudacek

Shooting percentage is something that gets discussed a lot around here.  I would say Jack had about 4 open shots tonight.  He scored on one of them.  When he gets enough time and space, I wouldn't be surprised if he maintains that 25% percentage.  (Yes I know he'll take lots of low percentage shots, but I'm just saying, you give him 4 or 5 clean shots and he's gonna score.  It's that simple.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.