Worst trade in Sabres history

GASabresIUFAN

We all remember the great trades. Names like Hasek, Satan, Drury and Briere all were acquired with little value or not nearly equal value going the other way. Seriously Hasek for Stephane Beauregard or Satan for Barrie and Millar. Wow!

But we have a couple of stinkers going the other way. In my humble opinion the worst was Calle Johansson for Malarchuk and Ledyard. The guys we got were good players and gave Buffalo some value, but Johansson is the greatest D in Wash history with 474 pts in 983 games. Had he stayed, he'd rival Housley as the best D in Sabres history. To bad we only got 118 games from him before trading him away.

Sept 29, 1997 Rangers 2nd ( Andrew Peters, ugh) and a conditional 5th ,( not exercised) for Pat Lafontaine. I know he had to go, but, for this?

Hasek for Slava Kozlov and a first

Danny Gare, Jim Schoenfeld, Derek Smith for Mike Foligno, Dale McCourt and Peterson. McCourt never was the same goal scorer he was in Detroit.

First Round Pick for Robin Lehner. Too much for a goalie,

Hasek was a jerk for that one. I remember him trying to dictate terms or something.

We all remember the great trades. Names like Hasek, Satan, Drury and Briere all were acquired with little value or not nearly equal value going the other way. Seriously Hasek for Stephane Beauregard or Satan for Barrie and Millar. Wow!

But we have a couple of stinkers going the other way. In my humble opinion the worst was Calle Johansson for Malarchuk and Ledyard. The guys we got were good players and gave Buffalo some value, but Johansson is the greatest D in Wash history with 474 pts in 983 games. Had he stayed, he'd rival Housley as the best D in Sabres history. To bad we only got 118 games from him before trading him away.

I remember every time I heard his name I thought about how he was a Sabre.

Danny Gare, Jim Schoenfeld, Derek Smith for Mike Foligno, Dale McCourt and Peterson. McCourt never was the same goal scorer he was in Detroit.

Mike is one of my favorite all time Sabres. We got 664 games frim him plus 500+ pts and a captain. Pederson also gave us 4 good years. Gare and Smith gave Det a total of 99 goals between them.

Ray Sheppard for a buck.

That's pretty bad. Ray was a very good player. I can only imagine the personality issues that lead to that deal.

I can't pinpoint a worst, yet. I like the OP's Calle call.

This got me thinking of Peter McNab. Technically not a trade, perhaps, but sent to Boston as compensation for FA Andre Savard. I liked Savard, but McNab played a lot of years and scored a lot of points for the Bruins.

LabattBlue created a thread a few years back .... http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/20092-andre-savard-peter-mcnab-transaction/

Post Scriptum ... For clarity, I believe this was an even trade. Savard was a complete hockey player. I mentioned the trade because McNab's point totals often bring him into conversations around bad trades, which is understandable and fair.

Edited by Neo

Mike is one of my favorite all time Sabres. We got 664 games frim him plus 500+ pts and a captain. Pederson also gave us 4 good years. Gare and Smith gave Det a total of 99 goals between them.

Agreed. And Schoeny, a shadow of his former self, was back in Buffalo soon enough anyway. I think the real reason some people hate that trade is that it marked the end of an area. The 70s Sabres were largely gone.

Agreed. And Schoeny, a shadow of his former self, was back in Buffalo soon enough anyway. I think the real reason some people hate that trade is that it marked the end of an area. The 70s Sabres were largely gone.

Yes to you and to yse.

that was a sad day! Shony at the airport crying and hugging Rick Azar and Rick had no idea what to say or do...Jim Schonfeld crying...

Andreychuk and a first and Darren Puppshoot the Toronto for Fuhrsie and a fifth. Andy was more than a point a game player and still solidly in his prime. Hasek was mere months away from being the Dominator. Grant played something like 65 games in a Sabre uniform.

Sept 29, 1997 Rangers 2nd ( Andrew Peters, ugh) and a conditional 5th ,( not exercised) for Pat Lafontaine. I know he had to go, but, for this?

There is so much to discuss with this one. He only played 1 complete season of the previous 4 before the trade and only played one in NY. Hardly the gut punch it could have been.

There is so much to discuss with this one. He only played 1 complete season of the previous 4 before the trade and only played one in NY. Hardly the gut punch it could have been.

Agreed. This is similar to the Schoenfeld/Gare trade in that fans overrated their own and had too much of an emotional bond.

Andreychuk and a first and Darren Puppshoot the Toronto for Fuhrsie and a fifth. Andy was more than a point a game player and still solidly in his prime. Hasek was mere months away from being the Dominator. Grant played something like 65 games in a Sabre uniform.

Boy, if Andreychuk could have just come through in the playoffs but he got so nervous or something. He was literallly run out of town. Great player that benefited by a change of circumstances. We should have gotten way more in return at least

I must have remembered this wrong, because I looked it up and Patty had 62 points in 67 games as a Ranger before the inevitable last concussion.  In the height of the dead puck era, and considering his situation that's just amazing.  I had always for some reason thought he didn't do much and then got shut down.  Eh, I was in college and probably drunk. 

But getting Andrew friggin' Peters for LaFontaine is a pretty bad return.  Bang goes the last plank in the "Darcy wasn't really all that bad" plank as far as I'm concerned. 

"One more time for old time's sake, LaLaLaLaLaLaLa..."

Boy, if Andreychuk could have just come through in the playoffs but he got so nervous or something. He was literallly run out of town. Great player that benefited by a change of circumstances. We should have gotten way more in return at least

He did have a nice series against Quebec in '85 with four goals in five games. (Someone please follow up with the Buddy Cloutier trade.)

But you're right. After that it was a goal here a goal there as the Sabres bowed out in the first round year after year after year. You wonder about the pressure on those teams as the drought got longer and longer. Sort of a corollary to the Bills' Super Bowl failures.

Agreed. This is similar to the Schoenfeld/Gare trade in that fans overrated their own and had too much of an emotional bond.

For me it's not so much that I overvalued PLF, I realized he had to go for years but looking back at it even at a diminished rate he was still worth more than that jackass peters was. The Sabres weren't willing to take a chance on the guys life and livelyhood but he was sadly. As for Gare Schoenfeld, em, bring on Foligno. Loved Mike!

You're right. He wasn't gonna play for the Sabres, a second and fifth is a nice return. The team just squandered the pick on peters is my problem I guess.

As much as I hated that trade at the time, it actually worked out pretty good for the Sabres. Foligno is an all time Sabres great and Peterson effectively replaced Don Luce on the checking line for several years. 

Mike Ramsey for Bob Errey is the trade I thought was the worst.

Edited by Rico7

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.