So If The Season Is Over By January.....

CallawaySabres

Last year we went 15-22-4 to start the season and then finished 20-14-7.  If they can manage 41 pts the first half this year and if they can turn 3 of the OTL's into win and go 23-14-4 down the stretch we'll still be in the playoff hunt by year end.  

so 41pts plus with that record there another 50pts leaving us with 91 points at the end. That wouldn't put us in the playoffs. We would be 9/10th in the east. 

This team without it's most important player (Eichel) and a key scorer (Kane) has 4 pts in 5 games.  Not great, but not terrible either, and there have been some real positives.  The PP, even without those key players, have been very good (thank you Matt Moulson) and the PK (other then last night) has been stellar.  Our Team Faceoff % is greatly improved with the addition of Grant and improved numbers by Reinhart and Girgensons.  The goaltending has been steady.  We have also played a difficult schedule so far with 4 road games including a West Coast trip.  Our opponents YTD are 22-10-4 with only Calg being below 500 at 3-4-1.  Despite the hard schedule our goal differential is only -2 which means we have been competitive in every game (ok except Mon and I'll give the boys a pass on that one with the shock of losing Eichel and then Kane).  Also don't forget we are integrating two new key players (Okposo and Kulikov) to a team that was thrown in chaos with the injuries with even the new pieces sidelined to start the year.   Other positives IMHO have been the improved play of Moulson and Girgensons.  Larsson is becoming a top defensive forward and I think McCabe is becoming our best defensive defenseman. 

My goal for this team until Jack and Kane return is for them to tread water and stay around 500 which they are doing.  I'd like to see DD settle on some D pairings and let them develop some chemistry.  However, the tinkering both up and back by DD is his search for chemistry on a young team trying with everyone trying to find a role and it's pretty clear that the chemistry is there yet.  

Last year we went 15-22-4 to start the season and then finished 20-14-7.  If they can manage 41 pts the first half this year and if they can turn 3 of the OTL's into win and go 23-14-4 down the stretch we'll still be in the playoff hunt by year end.  

Thanks for pointing all that out. Its going to be hard with the big gun out but I'm going to focus on positives unless this turns into a real trainwreck.

Baby steps...

I thought that this thread was about spices.

Is it Thyme for a coaching change?  Anise to see more games.  The penalty kill is still Saffron, but the power play finally Peppered them.

Hey! I make the strange, corny jokes around here.

And I thought it was me but I will excuse myself because I am a neophyte compared to you in posts but it looks like others are after your crown!!!

Go Sabres, hopefully a home game can cure some temporary ills.

Serious question: they are 1-5 and getting blown out at home. At what point does GMTM really think about canning DDB? 2-10? 3-15?

You and I, we're on the same wavelength*.  I never thought it'd be a realistic possibility for Murray to pull the plug early in Bylsma's 2nd year of a 5 year deal while Eichel and Kane are out...but there's gotta be a level of ineptitude where it could happen, right? The team isn't just losing, it looks like a tank team.

*This should scare the hell out of everyone here.

Serious question: they are 1-5 and getting blown out at home. At what point does GMTM really think about canning DDB? 2-10? 3-15?

Well, then Murray ends up creating some serious credibility issues for himself since he hired Bylsma(no one else to point fingers at) ;  and then the questions start popping up - does Murray, in fact, have a good strategy for building a playoff caliber team quickly, in less than 5 years?  Is his strategy working?  

Well, then Murray ends up creating some serious credibility issues for himself since he hired Bylsma(no one else to point fingers at) ;  and then the questions start popping up - does Murray, in fact, have a good strategy for building a playoff caliber team quickly, in less than 5 years?  Is his strategy working?  

It's better to cut the rope to the anvil dragging you to the bottom of the ocean than to worry about the perception of the decision to tie yourself to an anchor.

It is getting to the point that it isn't crazy to think that Murray is thinking about it. 

That doesn't make sense but I"m tired.

Murray looks less and less awesome in my eyes by the day as well.

I wish there was someone above him that I trust with analyzing this kind of stuff, and to pick the next one, should that ever need to happen.

You and I, we're on the same wavelength*.  I never thought it'd be a realistic possibility for Murray to pull the plug early in Bylsma's 2nd year of a 5 year deal while Eichel and Kane are out...but there's gotta be a level of ineptitude where it could happen, right? The team isn't just losing, it looks like a tank team.

*This should scare the hell out of everyone here.

Do we have any kind of assessment of how quickly Murray is willing to admit when he is wrong, and do what is needed to rectify the admitted mistake? Has he done this, or had to do this, yet?

the season is never over when it is still October. That said, the way they are playing now does not give a lot of confidence for a turnaround.

The only time they have looked good in the last few games is on the Power Play and the flurry in the 2nd period last night (which didn't even result in a goal)

The silver lining in all of this is it should quell the "What if Eichel isn't great" worry being brought on by McDavid and Matthews tearing it up. Many (most? all?) of the problems we're seeing now were also present last year, but Jack Eichel, as an 18 year old rookie, was great enough to cover for a whole lot of it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.