Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

19 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

As far as movies go, we have been to the theater 3 times in the past 3 months and there are 2 or 3 other movies we are likely to see in the next month or so.  Probably the most we have gone to the theater in years in such a short time.

I had a discussion with my cousin on this one....Mission impossible vs Bond?  

Personally, I liked the Bond movies as a kid growing up, and the Mission impossible movies didn't come out until I was well into my adult years.  Also, the first Mission Impossible movie was 'meh' to me and the 2nd one not much better.  BUT, since the 3rd one, I think they are among the best action/spy movies made.  So, nostalgia aside (and the need to say "of course Bond" because it is the thing to do) I'd have to side with the Mission Impossible movies as being my favorites.

My cousin didn't agree.  In our discussion I asked him why and the best answers he had were "I don't like Tom Cruise" and "its just Bond so it's better".

Bond or Mission Impossible.  Hmm.  Tough choice.  Will go with Bourne.  Those movies are all great.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

Bond or Mission Impossible.  Hmm.  Tough choice.  Will go with Bourne.  Those movies are all great.

That non-stop scene when they are going through the city streets in Greece in Jason Bourne (the last movie) was f’ing unbelievable.

• Agree 1

On 7/14/2023 at 11:04 PM, ubkev said:

The latest Mission Impossible was pretty cool. Big, loud, summer movie. 

We saw it yesterday.  I agree with your assessment, Big, loud summer movie, that describes it.  

Overall I thought it was very good to great. If I had 2 things I didn't like about it...it was some of the action scenes were a bit TOO long. Yes the car chase was unreal as well as many of the other action sequences, but if they would have shortened them 10% maybe better.

Also, this is a personal thing, but the fact it was a 'part 1'.  Yes, the movie had an 'end' to it and it was a 'complete movie', but to get the full story you know another part is coming. I left the theater feeling like I saw a complete movie, but yet somewhat 'unfullfilled'.  Hard to explain.

But overall, yes...if you want a great action movie that looks good on the screen and has a lot of fun stuff going on...this movie was great for that.  For sure this is THE movie that is the best example in a while of one you want to see on the big screen with the big movie theater sound instead of waiting for it at home.

5 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Also, this is a personal thing, but the fact it was a 'part 1'.  Yes, the movie had an 'end' to it and it was a 'complete movie', but to get the full story you know another part is coming.

I'm not a fan of this either. I generally won't go see a movie in the theater if it's a part one. The only exceptions I can think of are Infinity War (which was originally going to be Infinity War, Part 1) and The Fellowship of the Ring.  I'm eager to see the new Spiderverse movie, but I'll just wait until it hits streaming.

On 7/14/2023 at 11:04 PM, ubkev said:

The latest Mission Impossible was pretty cool. Big, loud, summer movie. 

On 7/15/2023 at 11:55 AM, Taro T said:

Might actually try to see that one in the theatre.

On 7/16/2023 at 12:16 PM, mjd1001 said:

We saw it yesterday.  I agree with your assessment, Big, loud summer movie, that describes it.  

Overall I thought it was very good to great. If I had 2 things I didn't like about it...it was some of the action scenes were a bit TOO long. Yes the car chase was unreal as well as many of the other action sequences, but if they would have shortened them 10% maybe better.

Also, this is a personal thing, but the fact it was a 'part 1'.  Yes, the movie had an 'end' to it and it was a 'complete movie', but to get the full story you know another part is coming. I left the theater feeling like I saw a complete movie, but yet somewhat 'unfullfilled'.  Hard to explain.

But overall, yes...if you want a great action movie that looks good on the screen and has a lot of fun stuff going on...this movie was great for that.  For sure this is THE movie that is the best example in a while of one you want to see on the big screen with the big movie theater sound instead of waiting for it at home.

On 7/22/2023 at 8:55 PM, Thorny said:

Dead Reckoning was so damn good 

It’s the best film in the franchise, for me

I really enjoyed it.  

• Like (+1) 2

I saw Barbie last night with the wife, daughter and her boyfriend.  Let me say I'm not a person who analyzes movies too much, and I don't get offended or think an agenda is getting pushed on me. I might notice it, but I view it as entertainment.

It was "Eh" or "OK".  I was hoping parts of it would be very funny making it good for me.  There were some kinda funny parts, but nothing that made me laugh, maybe just gave me a bit of a smile.  The story was OK, but not that deep and a lot of loose ends were just left hanging. The 'message' to women/girls was there, but nothing that wasn't touched on before, and in some ways it was misdirected.  The acting was good enough for what it was, but nothing where anyone in it seemd to be reaching deep down for anything. The actors seemed like they did 'good enough' of a job but nothing as a veiwer you could really 'feel'.

So, If someone in your family really wants to see this..it isn't terrible/awful.  Nothing in it was 'cringeworthy' and there is a bit of entertainment in it even for those outside of the target audience. I was just hoping for more comedy. I was hoping for a 'clearer' message. There was some, just not enough.

Edited by mjd1001

32 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Anyone seen the new barbie movie ?

See my post immediately above, just did last night.

A little disappointing, the more I think about it, the less I like it. After leaving the theater last night I would have given it a 5 out of 10.  This morning, I'm feeling more like a 4.  There were so many places they could have re-written a scene and it would have been better, and honestly the 'message' they sent actually was kinda hollow and misdirected...as I think about it more and more.

Edited by mjd1001

32 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

See my post immediately above, just did last night.

A little disappointing, the more I think about it, the less I like it. After leaving the theater last night I would have given it a 5 out of 10.  This morning, I'm feeling more like a 4.  There were so many places they could have re-written a scene and it would have been better, and honestly the 'message' they sent actually was kinda hollow and misdirected...as I think about it more and more.

So I have to be buzzed to like it.. great 😕

my wife wants to see it.

hopefully it leads too

Edited by Buffalonill

7 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

So I have to be buzzed to like it.. great 😕

my wife wants to see it.

hopefully it leads too

Well, like I said, its not AWFUL.  There are some movies I felt like walking out of the theater or was embarassed to watch (Nothing but Trouble is one). This isn't that.

You just have to accept what it is going into it....and then when you watch it be prepared to have a bunch of questions unanswered (like what happens to that character when the move is over? or why didn't they do that scene a little differently to make it a lot better? The message they are trying to get across would have been better if they did this scene differently, why didn't they?)  The good news is its not that long of a movie, if you don't like it, you AREN'T stuck in the theater for 2.5+ hours.

I am done watching any streaming series until it is announced that the series is over.  These lengthy pauses between seasons are annoying.  

Not the only example, but I started watching Mayor of Kingstown over the winter.  Got all caught up with season 2 ending this spring.  Now I just read that season 3 might not air until 2025.  WTF. 

[edited]Mandolorian also comes to mind. 2-1/2 years between the start of season 2 and start of season 3. 

Edited by LabattBlue

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Not the only example, but I started watching Mayor of Kingstown over the winter.  Got all caught up with season 2 ending this spring.  Now I just read that season 3 might not air until 2025.  WTF. 

Well, there are sometimes annoying delays in the release of series shows like that.

But with Mayor of Kingstown, the delay is completely understandable.  In January, Jeremy Renner, the star of the series ran himself over with a 14,000 lb snowcat plow and broke like every bone in his body. He almost died.  He wasn’t quite up for filming this year.

Covid shutdowns also were a huge issue that affected filming the past couple years and caused an abnormal number of delays.  I wouldn’t expect that to be as common going forward.

Edited by Curt

56 minutes ago, Curt said:

Well, there are sometimes annoying delays in the release of series shows like that.

But with Mayor of Kingstown, the delay is completely understandable.  In January, Jeremy Renner, the star of the series ran himself over with a 14,000 lb snowcat plow and broke like every bone in his body. He almost died.  He wasn’t quite up for filming this year.

Covid shutdowns also were a huge issue that affected filming the past couple years and caused an abnormal number of delays.  I wouldn’t expect that to be as common going forward.

Won't be common moving forward but having the writers guild and the screen actors guild out on strike will further delay things for the near term.

50 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Won't be common moving forward but having the writers guild and the screen actors guild out on strike will further delay things for the near term.

Chat GPT will take over and write scripts just as good.  😉