Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

On 7/29/2023 at 11:28 PM, Zamboni said:

Saw Oppenheimer tonight. Good flick. Grade: solid A

I want to see Oppenheimer.  

Instead I saw Barbie with my wife, daughter, two of our daughters good friends, and one of the friends 7 year old daughter.  So me and 5 females spanning 3 generations.  

To me the movie was rubbish, but I enjoyed being out with the girls and they all liked it.  

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Barbie movie had to be worst movie of the year how it had any good reviews has shown how society has changed and failed.

The Barb side of the films is a pathway to many viewing experiences some would consider to be...enjoyable 

- - - 

I have it 5 for the year Rn tbh

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Barbie movie had to be worst movie of the year how it had any good reviews has shown how society has changed and failed.

Why would anyone go see it in the first place?

Oppenheimer was fantastic.

• Like (+1) 2
  • dislike 1

• 3 weeks later...

"Hijack" on Apple TV was pretty enjoyable -- solid B.

I gotta say, I'm a bit disappointed in "Yellowstone."  My wife and I are about 25% into Season 2 and it's not doing much for either of us.  Kevin Costner's character is a DB and his kids are all really annoying.  Right now I'm at a C-plus to B-minus.

"Jack Ryan" season 3 was decent.  Also a B.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"Bad Sisters" on Apple TV was pretty good.  It's a dark comedy set in Dublin about 4 sisters conspiring to kill their 5th sister's husband, who is awful in every way.  The creator and co-star is Sharon Horgan, who similarly was a co-creator and co-star of "Catastrophe", which was a great comedy on Amazon Prime.

Anyway, I give "Bad Sisters" a B-plus.

I did get to see Oppenheimer.  I found it to be fantastic and it led me to research that project further.  I was especially intrigued by the way they portrayed Truman and how that meeting actually went.   

Any recommendations on good newer movies like this one that I can stream? 

I have a fair amount of streaming apps - Netflix, Prime, Hulu - thanks! 

On 8/5/2023 at 6:02 PM, Buffalonill said:

Saw both Barbie and Oppenheimer at the theater...not on the same day like others not even on the same weekend.  Both were a little less than I hoped from the Hype.

Barbie was just below average to me. Not awful, I wasn't the intended audience, but even if I put myself in the shoes of the intended audience, nothing special here. Below average plot, no acting that stood out as good.  The thing that got me was in a lot of the reviews, they spoke about how it shows women can feel 'empowered', to me it was a hollow message because they ended up treating the guys in the movie just as bad as women feel they are treated sometime.

Oppenheimer. It was good, but I didn't get great. It seemed like an above average, above budget documentary I would have seen at home.  Good, again, but I didn't walk out of the theater thinking I saw one of the best movies ever.

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I did get to see Oppenheimer.  I found it to be fantastic and it led me to research that project further.  I was especially intrigued by the way they portrayed Truman and how that meeting actually went.   

Any recommendations on good newer movies like this one that I can stream? 

I have a fair amount of streaming apps - Netflix, Prime, Hulu - thanks! 

The Covenant fits the bill IMHO.  It’s a pretty new war movie by Guy Ritchie.

• Like (+1) 2

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, SwampD said:

Not sure what viewing of Shoresy I just finished, gotta be 4 or 5, But I'm going to keep watching it until it stops being funny.

Season 2 picked up right where it left off and was great. It got better as it went along, too.

I enjoyed it too. It is geared to a younger audience than myself but I can relate to the hockey scenes and camaraderie

I was a background actor for season 2, spent 3 days in two different Sudbury rinks as part of the crowd. I saw myself in two different shots. I am retired so I have all kinds of time to hang around a rink for 12-14 hours.

I have been asked to be available next week as season 3 shooting is starting.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

I’m thinking about getting the bentkey streaming app for my kids. Does anyone have it? What are your thoughts so far?

I saw that this was released and was intrigued.  My kids aren’t quite old enough yet to get something like this, but I’d be interested in what anyone has to say about it.

• Like (+1) 1