Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Yes -- Argo was outstanding (as was The Town).  Ben A. has such a great touch as director -- it's hard to reconcile with his acting, or at least with his choice of roles.

Daredevil....ya

Though Colin Farrell was un ironically great in that 

Loved the town. You are right, he’s a great director 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My wife and I started watching the new 'national treasure' on Disney, and its pretty rough. We are half way through so we are going to probably stick though it, but some if it makes no sense.  some of the 'puzzles' they solve really seem like there is no explanation, and the acting is pretty bad.  The main character, she shows very little emotion, the character seems lifeless and lacking any kind of charisma.  Some reviews we read said that the woman who plays her is a great actress and destined for stardom, but I don't see that at all.

Peaky Blinders was bought up. That I watched a few episodes, it seemed like it was well written and for sure the acting was very very good, but it just didn't hook me enough to stick with it. I can see how it can appeal to people who like that kind of show however.

For a 'cartoon' and what some consider a 'kids movie' I thought Puss in Boots the last wish was good. Basically, its a cartoon cat that is 90% Antionio Banderas' portrayal of Zorro.

We Own This City on HBO is pretty darn good. It's a 6 episode miniseries dramatization of the 2017 rico case against the Baltimore PD's Gun Trace Taskforce. It's written by David Simon, who also wrote The Wire. 

Jon Bernthal plays one of the main cops and he's just great. His Baltimore accent is right on and hilarious. Gritty show. If you liked The Wire, take 3 days and give it a watch. 

Up next is Tulsa King. 

On 1/29/2023 at 11:15 PM, ubkev said:

We Own This City on HBO is pretty darn good. It's a 6 episode miniseries dramatization of the 2017 rico case against the Baltimore PD's Gun Trace Taskforce. It's written by David Simon, who also wrote The Wire. 

Jon Bernthal plays one of the main cops and he's just great. His Baltimore accent is right on and hilarious. Gritty show. If you liked The Wire, take 3 days and give it a watch. 

Up next is Tulsa King. 

I liked the first few episodes of We Own this City, and they were reminiscent of the Wire, but the next few were much worse IMHO.  Just way too preachy and not interesting or entertaining.

Separately:

- The Northman -- pretty bad

- Bullet Train -- dumb but entertaining

• dislike 1

In the past month, I have binged…

Yellowstone
Tulsa King
Mayor of Kingstown

…and over the last few months watched all the seasons of Call the Midwife with my wife, not so much for the primary subject matter, but a revealing look at life in the poverty stricken East End of London during the 50’s and 60’s.  

Edited by LabattBlue

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Indabuff said:

Adam Sandler with a couple of good movies as of late.

Sandler is the man.  Very talented.  My wife and I saw him perform last night in Kansas City.  He was amazing.  If we ever get another opportunity to see him perform we will certainly go.  

I've pretty much bailed on the Star Wars universe since "The Last Jedi," which I enjoyed but overall thought was pretty thin, but "Andor" got so much critical praise that I gave it a shot.  I finished it last night and really enjoyed it.  I'll probably give the Mandalorian a shot as well.

The cord has been cut. For 38 years I've walked this earth and I've done it with premium cable/satellite for all of them(minus the years I spent in the dorms at UB.) As of tomorrow, that all ends. 

Reminds me of the old Jim Gaffigan bit: "no cable? Where do you send your $500 bucks a month?!"

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

I've pretty much bailed on the Star Wars universe since "The Last Jedi," which I enjoyed but overall thought was pretty thin, but "Andor" got so much critical praise that I gave it a shot.  I finished it last night and really enjoyed it.  I'll probably give the Mandalorian a shot as well.

There's some major fan service in Mandalorian that I think you'll enjoy.  I'm trying to avoid any spoilers for you, but you'll know it if/when you see it.

Just now, ubkev said:

The cord has been cut. For 38 years I've walked this earth and I've done it with premium cable/satellite for all of them(minus the years I spent in the dorms at UB.) As of tomorrow, that all ends. 

Reminds me of the old Jim Gaffigan bit: "no cable? Where do you send your $500 bucks a month?!"

My directv time officially ended last week.  It's amazing how many crappy offers they've been emailing me lately since I decided to walk away.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I don't remember a single thing about The Mandalorian aside from the 2 episodes that Bill Burr appears in. I've seen every episode.