Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

Black Panther was fantastic. I had sky high expectations after hearing how good it was, and it met them. Between this and Thor, I have renewed optimism for Marvel movies.

I think the expectations probably hurt it for me.  It was a good movie -- a solid B -- and really fun (which is underrated), but I didn't think it was something we'll end up putting alongside The Dark Knight on the big list of comic book movies, aside from the positive effects of finally getting some diversity in these movies.

I really liked all the drama stuff (semi Shakespeare) with "your dad killed my dad" and scenes with characters talking to their fathers in the afterlife were beautifully done.  The debate about Wakanda's place in the world was outstanding, and Michael B. Jordan was terrific as Killmonger (it was nice to have a villain with a point). 

The action scenes did nothing for me.  There weren't tense at all and the special effects looked pretty cartoony (e.g. the cartoon rhinos with armor, the two Black Panthers flying around punching each other, etc.).  It was weird having a finale where you're just waiting for them to wrap it up.  And I didn't think the heroes were super interesting (i.e. Black Panther is a good guy trying to do the right thing - that's about it).

Well I haven’t seen Black Panther, but I have a buddy at work that is obsessed with Marvel. Just an absolute fanatic. I have never been much of a movie guy, so there are plenty (most) of Marvel films I have missed. He owns them all on DVD, so he’s determined to have me watch them in “historical” order. It won’t be quick, but I’m down for it.

But first, I’m watching Daredevil on Netflix per his recommendation. Just a couple episodes in, but I like the plot. And I love the camera work. The hallway scene... WOW

Well I haven’t seen Black Panther, but I have a buddy at work that is obsessed with Marvel. Just an absolute fanatic. I have never been much of a movie guy, so there are plenty (most) of Marvel films I have missed. He owns them all on DVD, so he’s determined to have me watch them in “historical” order. It won’t be quick, but I’m down for it.

But first, I’m watching Daredevil on Netflix per his recommendation. Just a couple episodes in, but I like the plot. And I love the camera work. The hallway scene... WOW

I liked Daredevil. I liked Jessica Jones even better. And you're just gonna wanna skip Iron Fist all together. What a pile of sh!t that was.

iron fist was not as bad as people give it ###### for. Don't get me wrong, it is not good. But it is bad in ways that make it fit the genre imho. Also Jessica Jones season 2 is bereleased overnight and Luke Cage season 2 is a few months away.

It was that bad, to me. Every episode just got longer and more boring. I hated Danny more and more with every passing minute. Then I hated all the supporting characters. Everyone just sucked.

It was that bad, to me. Every episode just got longer and more boring. I hated Danny more and more with every passing minute. Then I hated all the supporting characters. Everyone just sucked.

I agree on hating Danny. To me that was what made the show ok. Danny is just so unlikable and that is fine with me. it made him different from most hero stories.

I started watching "The Good Place" on Netflix.  Pretty solid comedy so far.

That show is pretty good. There's a plot twist at the end of the season that I didn't expect. Season 2 already aired on NBC (or whichever network it was on) but it hasn't been to Netflix yet. We watched it through Hulu but I plan to dvr season 3 if I haven't cut the cord before then and cancel Directv.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri is the most depressing movie I've watched since Manchester by the Sea. I'm glad neither won best picture. Neither was necessarily a bad movie but definitely not date night movies but maybe something you watch before you kick the chair away and hang yourself. 

Finished watching Season 1&2 of Fargo. Great series, a little disappointed in the finale of season 2 but what a ride getting there. Whoever recommended this (sorry I forgot and too lazy to look it up), KUDOS 

Wonder Woman was much better than I anticipated also, good flick. 

Finished watching Season 1&2 of Fargo. Great series, a little disappointed in the finale of season 2 but what a ride getting there. Whoever recommended this (sorry I forgot and too lazy to look it up), KUDOS 

It might've been me, although others have certainly recommended Fargo as well.

IMHO both season 1 and season 2 are terrific, with a slight edge to season 2.  Season 3 was good but not at the level of the 1st 2. 

I don't like Woody Harrelson, going back to Cheers, but he was good as LBJ in "LBJ." After Bryan Cranston also took on the role in the recent "All the Way," it's safe to say Lyndon Johnson's cinematic moment has passed. We get it. He talked to aides while crapping with the bathroom door open, he called his tailor and asked for more room from his balls to his bunghole, and he wept in bed with Lady Bird because he feared the people would never love him. Off we go.

Don't miss "Stronger," the story of one of the survivors of the Boston Marathon bombing. Very powerful, quite funny too. Unfortunately, the guy is a Bruins fan, and there's a scene of him waving a Bruins flag before a playoff game. (Of course, the Sabres played in Boston in the first game after the bombing.) Trivia: most the film is set in Chelmsford, Jack's hometown.

• 2 weeks later...

Movies I watched on the plane recently:

Wind River -- murder/drama with Jeremy Renner set in Wyoming -- had never heard of it, but it was quite good.  A-minus.

Thor Ragnarok -- reasonably enjoyable superhero movie -- B

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 -- decent superhero movie -- B-minus

3 Billboards -- quite good IMHO -- A-minus

Also, I am now fully caught up on "The Good Place" -- excellent comedy from the maker of "Parks and Recreation" -- highly recommended.

Movies I watched on the plane recently:

Wind River -- murder/drama with Jeremy Renner set in Wyoming -- had never heard of it, but it was quite good.  A-minus.

Thor Ragnarok -- reasonably enjoyable superhero movie -- B

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 -- decent superhero movie -- B-minus

3 Billboards -- quite good IMHO -- A-minus

Also, I am now fully caught up on "The Good Place" -- excellent comedy from the maker of "Parks and Recreation" -- highly recommended.

I also watched Thor Ragnarok on a flight.  Not bad.  But I think I am running out of joy for these movies.

Case and point, I saw Justice League on the flight home and was not impressed.