2017 NHL Draft -- General NHL Thread

WildCard

What I'm hoping for is coming away with two 1st rd picks in this draft. Depending on how Jbot fixes the D, I'm actually ok with draft a forward at 8. For example, if we trade Kane, we are going to need 2 good LW's. Nylander is one, but we don't have no.2.

I also want a 1st rd caliber D regardless.

Ideally, we trade down and grab either D Valimaki or LW Vesalainen. Then use our 2nd rd picks and acquired assets to move back into the first and grab the LW or D we didn't get the earlier. There is a ton of quality choices. D Hague, Foote, and Timmins come to mind as do LW Comtois and Radcliffe.

I like Carrier as the 2nd LW - unless you're already counting him?  I'm higher on Will than most though.

No, I think I was thinking of Foote maybe.

Callan Foote plays for Kelowna. Valimaki plays for Tri-City. I'm taking Valimaki over Foote. Better spped, but Cal has that NHL pedigree.

I like Carrier as the 2nd LW - unless you're already counting him?  I'm higher on Will than most though.

Carrier doesn't have the hamd to be a top 6 LW, but will be a solid NHL player.

Here is the Sportnet Top 10 that surveys NHL scouts.

Here is the top 100:

1. Nolan Patrick – C, Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL
2. Nico Hischier – C, Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL
3. Miro Heiskanen – D, HIFK, Liiga
4. Owen Tippett – RW, Mississauga Steelheads, OHL
5. Cody Glass – C, Portland Winterhawks, WHL
6. Gabriel Vilardi – C, Windsor Spitfires, OHL
7. Timothy Liljegren – D, Timra, Allsvenskan
8. Casey Mittelstadt - C, Eden Prairie, Minnesota High School
9. Cale Makar – D, Brooks Bandits, AJHL
10. Martin Necas – C, Brno, Czech Extraliga

Liljegren and Makar could both be in play at 8. It really depends on Arizona preference between the two.

I was finally able to see Makar play on Sunday at the RBC Cup and though he was very impressive I can't help wonder how Liljegren would look against AJHL opponents.

I think I prefer taking one of them than moving back and getting one of the lower ranked guys, as Liljegren and Makar have game breaking ablilites and are elite skaters that you don't see in the other D prospects.

Valimaki's coach has said that his positioning and gap control is often a problem. He can be caught flat-footed at times and needs to improve his pivoting. Overall though, if he can improve in this area he could be a top pair Dman and a QB for the powerplay.

Brannstrom is an interesting prospect. I had highlited him as a top guy if available in the 2nd (though probably will be gone). 

Timmons is a smart defender and rarely makes a mistake but I definitely agree with Liger that there are better prospects at 8.

Here is the Sportnet Top 10 that surveys NHL scouts.

Here is the top 100:

1. Nolan Patrick – C, Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL

2. Nico Hischier – C, Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL

3. Miro Heiskanen – D, HIFK, Liiga

4. Owen Tippett – RW, Mississauga Steelheads, OHL

5. Cody Glass – C, Portland Winterhawks, WHL

6. Gabriel Vilardi – C, Windsor Spitfires, OHL

7. Timothy Liljegren – D, Timra, Allsvenskan

8. Casey Mittelstadt - C, Eden Prairie, Minnesota High School

9. Cale Makar – D, Brooks Bandits, AJHL

10. Martin Necas – C, Brno, Czech Extraliga

Im curious. Has drafting a kid right out of high school ever seriously worked out?

Carrier doesn't have the hamd to be a top 6 LW, but will be a solid NHL player.

I'm not sure counting on the player at pick #8 being that player if Kane is traded - mainly because it could be 2-3 years.  So in your scenario Carrier is definitely an option.

Im curious. Has drafting a kid right out of high school ever seriously worked out?

Mittelstant actually played in the USHL this season as well. He went back to play high school (short season) in Minnesota in hopes of winning the state championship then came back to the USHL.

Edited by Crusader1969

If those two gone Vilamaki seems good to me and has size.

I don't get his slide. It's like he isn't sexy enough to be taken higher.

gotta take mittelstadt if hes there at 8. an elite level offensive talent, you don't pass on that just to fill a need on D

I agree that if a elite offensive guy is there, take him over a weaker defender.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.