Eichel injured in practice (10/12)

PASabreFan

Looks almost identical to when Mogilny broke his leg in the playoffs...

i've now heard that said a few times already.

I'm slowing winding one hand on the side of a closed fist ... when suddenly ... my middle finger slowly rises pointing at you.

much deserved. sorry.

Why shouldn't we be somewhat optimistic?  

1) We don't know how bad the injury is

2) Our team's greatest depth is up front with center and RW being extremely deep, and these are the two areas affected by this injury, especially if we move Reinhart to the middle.

3) With Jack and Okposo out we get to see two of our best prospects get a shot at the NHL in Fasching and Bailey.  Two guys I can think can score 20+ in the show and have speed, good hands, and physical games.  Isn't the goal bigger stronger faster?  These guys were going to have to make an impact sooner then later, so now it's sooner.

Bottomline: We aren't better without Jack, but to say this team is tank city without him is simply not true. 

Right.. let's keep it in perspective.    An injury to a star player can serve as a rallying point for the team... they'll have the underdog mentality, every guy will need to step up his game to keep this thing move in the right direction.    

Eichel gets a chance to evaluate the game from the press box, maybe gains a greater appreciation for the game and comes back with renewed enthusiasm.    

Reinhart probably gets first crack at playing C, IMO he'll thrive in that spot, that alone will be fun to watch.    

Puck drops tomorrow night regardless, I, for one, am glad hockey season in back (and I get to change my avatar!). 

Right.. let's keep it in perspective. An injury to a star player can serve as a rallying point for the team... they'll have the underdog mentality, every guy will need to step up his game to keep this thing move in the right direction.

Eichel gets a chance to evaluate the game from the press box, maybe gains a greater appreciation for the game and comes back with renewed enthusiasm.

Reinhart probably gets first crack at playing C, IMO he'll thrive in that spot, that alone will be fun to watch.

Puck drops tomorrow night regardless, I, for one, am glad hockey season in back (and I get to change my avatar!).

All this.

Why shouldn't we be somewhat optimistic?  

1) We don't know how bad the injury is, for all we know it's badly sprained and he'll be back in 4 weeks or less.

2) Our team's greatest depth is up front with center and RW being extremely deep, and these are the two areas affected by this injury, especially if we move Reinhart to the middle.

3) With Jack and Okposo out we get to see two of our best prospects get a shot at the NHL in Fasching and Bailey.  Two guys I can think can score 20+ in the show and have speed, good hands, and physical games.  Isn't the goal bigger stronger faster?  These guys were going to have to make an impact sooner then later, so now it's sooner.

4) Also if we move Sam to the middle, we run with ROR, Reinhart, Larsson and Girgensons.  That's not a huge step down from ROR, Eichel Larsson and Girgensons.  

Bottomline: We aren't better without Jack, but to say this team is tank city without him is simply not true. 

Here is how a lineup might look if Jack is out long-term

Ennis ROR Okposo

Kane Reinhart Fasching

Foligno Larsson Gionta

Moulson Girgensons Bailey

That's not exactly a bad lineup.

Right.. let's keep it in perspective.    An injury to a star player can serve as a rallying point for the team... they'll have the underdog mentality, every guy will need to step up his game to keep this thing move in the right direction.    

These posts were a Nestea plunge on a hot summer day. Much appreciated, gents. Much appreciated indeed. 

Thank you for this.  I needed it. 

I am oddly calm about this. He's young, he's limber and already in playing shape. So I will hoe for just a couple games. We've all seen football players that have been rolled over and get the scared out of them only to return a few plays later. 

Of course we've also seen lengthy injuries from the same type of injury. I have been looking forward to this season for too long to have it derailed before it even begins!

I will remain calm.

Let's Go Buffalo.

Hoppe with some quotes (sorry, not sorry):

Bylsma said Eichel’s injury is different than, say, the broken foot center Ryan O’Reilly suffered in the middle of last season.

“This just feels a little bit different because it’s a cusp, an eve of starting a new season, one I think we’re all looking forward to,” Bylsma said. “I think that’s really why it takes the wind out of the sails out of the arena today. We’re 10 minutes away, maybe less than that, we’re eight minutes away from practice being over and getting ready for the game tomorrow."

Bylsma said Eichel’s injury is different than, say, the broken foot center Ryan O’Reilly suffered in the middle of last season.

“This just feels a little bit different because it’s a cusp, an eve of starting a new season, one I think we’re all looking forward to,” Bylsma said. “I think that’s really why it takes the wind out of the sails out of the arena today. We’re 10 minutes away, maybe less than that, we’re eight minutes away from practice being over and getting ready for the game tomorrow."

On the bright side, they got almost the whole practice in..

Is this necessary....he's 20 years old in his 2nd season...he has to renew his enthusiasm for the game? Guessing you're just trying to rationalize the loss...

Pittsburgh loses Malkin 20+ games every year and Sid has another concussion, they don't seem to be panicking.

They've also won a few more Cups than we have

Pittsburgh loses Malkin 20+ games every year and Sid has another concussion, they don't seem to be panicking.

Pens had a cup locked up before Crosby's concussion issues started. Imagine if Crosby had suffered an injury in the preseason before his sophomore season, when he scored 120 points for his first Art Ross. 

The NHL should ban practices.

No, but maybe brutal training camps and preseason schedules should be re-evaluated across all contact sports. And any freakin' preseason world tournaments, for that matter.

DDB says they're waiting for the ankle to 'calm down' and then will evaluate his movement.

This seems hopeful-ish.

Incisive (and funny) observation.

Why me? I may be the only poster who has steadfastly said the Sabres franchise is destined to win a Stanley Cup, if only the bozos would get out of the way and let it happen. Jury's out as to whether TP has totally done that.

NS, blue and gold courtesy phone, NS...