Analyzing the bubble boys: who makes the team?

dudacek

Who makes the team?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these guys survives training camp and starts the season in Buffalo?

• Linus Ullmark
    • Casey Nelson
    • Taylor Fedun
    • Justin Falk
    • Brendan Guhle
    • Justin Bailey
    • Will Carrier
    • Cal O'Reilly
    • Derek Grant
    • Nick Baptiste
    • Hudson Fasching
    • Alex Nylander
    • Late trade/signing/waiver pickup
    • Evan Rodrigues

Sure some people would rather see nothing of Nilsson, or Franson or Moulson this year.

But realistically, the Sabres are going into the season with 20 spots on their 23-man roster basically decided. It's just a matter of who plays with who and where.

So the question is, who is going to use the next few weeks to force their way onto the roster?

Edited by dudacek

Sure some people would rather see nothing of Nilsson, or Franson or Moulson this year.

But realistically, the Sabres are going into the season with 20 spots on their 23-man roster basically decided. It's just a matter of who plays with who and where.

So the question is, who is going to use the next few weeks to force their way onto the roster?

I agree.  The openings right now seem like 2 depth D and a 3rd/4th line RW.  

I can't see the team sacrificing the opportunity for Bailey, Baptiste, Carrier, Fasching to get meaningful playing time in Rochester even if they are ready to make the 23-man roster (and I think some of them are).  

I think Bailey blows everyone away in camp and wins the 3rd line RW job and he gets 15 minutes per night in Buffalo. I don't think he has anything left to prove in Roch.  I agree on the rest plus Nylander.  All need more pro experience before making the jump to Buffalo.  Carrier may be the closest, but he is kind of the 6th (or maybe 7th) man on the LW totem pole behind Kane, Ennis, Foligno, Moulson, Deslauriers and maybe Nylander. 

The position battle in camp that should be the most interesting is to see if Nelson can beat out Franson for the 3rd line RD.  His speed and skill was evident last season and we could certainly use it.  I think he has a real chance, but his lack of pro experience and Franson's contract could work against him.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I agree.  The openings right now seem like 2 depth D and a 3rd/4th line RW.  

I think Bailey blows everyone away in camp and wins the 3rd line RW job and he gets 15 minutes per night in Buffalo. I don't think he has anything left to prove in Roch.  I agree on the rest plus Nylander.  All need more pro experience before making the jump to Buffalo.  Carrier may be the closest, but he is kind of the 6th (or maybe 7th) man on the LW totem pole behind Kane, Ennis, Foligno, Moulson, Deslauriers and maybe Nylander. 

The position battle in camp that should be the most interesting is to see if Nelson can beat out Franson for the 3rd line RD.  His speed and skill was evident last season and we could certainly use it.  I think he has a real chance, but because of his lack of pro experience and Franson;s contract work against him.

I'd love for you to be right on Bailey.

I think Moulson and Franson will be given every opportunity to reclaim their jobs and that will block the most skilled young guys early on.

I think they will sign somebody new to be their seventh defenceman.

Nelson will be better served running the PP in Rochester than waiting for his chance up here.

I think the final forward spot is between Carrier and Bailey. I say carrier gets it because he is better suited to the fourth line and is a third-year pro. Bailey will be up at some point though, probably for good.

COR will take the 12/13 spot though if DD decides Zemgus is a full time wing.

Edited by dudacek

Well, I've got Nelson and Bailey, but I think dudacek is probably right that Franson will probably start the year in the lineup, and in that case it will make more sense for Nelson to be playing in Rochester than riding the bench in Buffalo.

I'm kinda hoping that GMTM doesn't bring in another Benoit/Meszaros type as the #7 -- and BTW Lindholm still doesn't have a contract from Anaheim! -- but it's certainly possible

I think Nelson makes it, time for young guys to start coming up, also Bailey third line and Nylander poss on Jack's wing, but if Enis ok then Nylander in Rochester till Kane is traded.

I think Nelson gets a least half a season in Rochester to learn to handle the physical part of the game better. Would not surprise me if he goes either up or down. He might have already reached his potential. 

Bailey probably makes it, but I'm sure they will keep a short string on all those forwards to let them know there is competition and more than one guy will get the call up. 

I don't think any of the players listed make the final roster.  

I do think Evan Rodrigues makes the team.    GMTM spoke very very highly of him, he had a goal and assist in 2 games to close out the season.

Rodrigues is a forgotten guy but really liked his energy. Plus he a Jack guy and might fit in well. Will be interesting to see.

As of this posting, I think Nelson makes it for 6/7D (though like Dudacek, I hope for somebody else to be brought in), Carrier picks up a forward spot (most developed of our forward prospects, getting to the point where we have to know one way or the other on him), and....lord save us all...Cal O'Reilly makes the team to center the 4th line (though I hope and pray hourly that we get a real NHL 4th line center).

I fully expect Fasching/Bailey to get a look this year due to injuries and/or earning a callup.

Kane-O'Reilly-Okposo

Ennis-Eichel-Reinhart

Foligno-Larsson-Gionta

Carrier-O'Reilly-Girgensons

Deslauriers

We pay Moulson too much, for him to not have a spot in this team.

Well, we have to pay him no matter what. If he's a net negative to the team on the ice, there's no reason to keep putting him on the ice. In fact, playing him in that scenario makes it a worse use of money than paying him to sit in the box or go to Rochester.

Well, we have to pay him no matter what. If he's a net negative to the team on the ice, there's no reason to keep putting him on the ice. In fact, playing him in that scenario makes it a worse use of money than paying him to sit in the box or go to Rochester.

He'll start on the 4th line IMPO. Ennis and Kane will get first dibs at top line minutes and Foligno is locked in on that 3rd line with Larsson and Gionta. 

As of this posting, I think Nelson makes it for 6/7D (though like Dudacek, I hope for somebody else to be brought in), Carrier picks up a forward spot (most developed of our forward prospects, getting to the point where we have to know one way or the other on him), and....lord save us all...Cal O'Reilly makes the team to center the 4th line (though I hope and pray hourly that we get a real NHL 4th line center).

I fully expect Fasching/Bailey to get a look this year due to injuries and/or earning a callup.

Kane-O'Reilly-Okposo

Ennis-Eichel-Reinhart

Foligno-Larsson-Gionta

Carrier-O'Reilly-Girgensons

Deslauriers

I think they will want Nelson playing every game so he will stay down on the farm for time being. Sure hope competition with all those young wingers brings out the best and we have Bailey, Baptise, Carrier and or another one break through as a top player. Ennis is so easy to forget about! Such an interesting camp looking at the mid level talent trying to fill in now 

He'll start on the 4th line IMPO. Ennis and Kane will get first dibs at top line minutes and Foligno is locked in on that 3rd line with Larsson and Gionta. 

And if they pick up from last year we are in good shape there 

I don't think any of the players listed make the final roster.  

I do think Evan Rodrigues makes the team.    GMTM spoke very very highly of him, he had a goal and assist in 2 games to close out the season.

Good call. I've added him.

Because of age and skill set, he might be a good fit splitting the 12th man role with DLo

Because of his age this may be Evan's best and last chance to make the Sabres. A year from now Fasching, Baptiste and Nylander may be NHL ready a long with Carrier and Bailey. Where does that leave Rodrigues at that point?

Evan's best chance, being 5'11" and 174 may be in Ennis can't come back. I'm not sure there will be room for him on LW otherwise. (I may be wrong though, is Ennis playing RW lately?)

We need some scoring on that 4th line or at least scoring potential. I'm with Dudacek,Carrier gets a look and Nelson is here out of necessity unless they sign a Russell Orlov type.  Not expecting that to happen.

You don't think a 4th line of Moulson Girgensons and Bailey would have some scoring potential?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.