Analyzing the bubble boys: who makes the team?

dudacek

Who makes the team?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these guys survives training camp and starts the season in Buffalo?

• Linus Ullmark
    • Casey Nelson
    • Taylor Fedun
    • Justin Falk
    • Brendan Guhle
    • Justin Bailey
    • Will Carrier
    • Cal O'Reilly
    • Derek Grant
    • Nick Baptiste
    • Hudson Fasching
    • Alex Nylander
    • Late trade/signing/waiver pickup
    • Evan Rodrigues

It was interesting to hear Bylsma and Gorges talk about how Kulikov gives them a very solid six.

I wonder how much of that is blowing smoke on Bylsma's part.

Part of me is wondering if our 2nd/3rd pairs are gonna be pretty even minutes. You wouldn't think Gorges-Franson would get many minutes...but what if the bottom pairs are Gorges-Bogosian and McCabe-Franson? I can see them going the balanced route.

Part of me is wondering if our 2nd/3rd pairs are gonna be pretty even minutes. You wouldn't think Gorges-Franson would get many minutes...but what if the bottom pairs are Gorges-Bogosian and McCabe-Franson? I can see them going the balanced route.

Maybe I am reading too much into the early pairs in camp.

But I found it odd that McCabe and Franson are paired up and Bogosian and Gorges are not.

We've all assumed Kulikov was brought in to be Risto's partner.

Maybe Bylsma's solution to easing Risto's workload is to strengthen the second pair.

Maybe Risto slides back in with Gorges and Kuli will be playing with Bogo.

But I found it odd that McCabe and Franson are paired up and Bogosian and Gorges are not.

Maybe Bylsma's solution to easing Risto's workload is to strengthen the second pair.

I'd be so mad I can see it happening :lol:

Given our lack of quality and depth on the back end, yes, I think they can. Especially if he impresses early like he did last year. 

Where is the lack of depth.  Our top 6 baring injury are Risto, Bogo, McCabe, Kulikov, Gorges and Franson.  DD says the only available job is the 7th D.  Who are you benching, assuming everyone is healthy to play Guhle?

I don't think Kulikov is going to be Risto's partner.  He isn't defensively responsible enough.  We need McCabe to step into that role, like Tallinder did for Myers.  I envision a second pairing of Bogo and Kulikov.  Two guys with similar games who aren't afraid to lay the lumber with Kulikov being the slightly more responsible D player.  

That leaves a very slow pairing of Gorges and Franson.  I'm not thrilled with in, especially in today's NHL.  However to give either of these guys top 4 minutes would be a mistake.  My hope is Nelson so outplays Franson in the pre-season that he earns Franson's job and Cody becomes the 7th D.  This would add a good skating puck mover to our 3rd pairing and make the best use of Gorges' professionalism and physical play. While this is my hope, based on DD's comments I noted above, I think this is unlikely.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Where is the lack of depth.  Our top 6 baring injury are Risto, Bogo, McCabe, Kulikov, Gorges and Franson.  DD says the only available job is the 7th D.  Who are you benching, assuming everyone is healthy to play Guhle?

Well Franson is very bad, and played himself out of the lineup last year, I could see him sitting for a bit. 

Where is the lack of depth. Our top 6 baring injury are Risto, Bogo, McCabe, Kulikov, Gorges and Franson. DD says the only available job is the 7th D. Who are you benching, assuming everyone is healthy to play Guhle?

I don't think Kulikov is going to be Risto's partner. He isn't defensively responsible enough. We need McCabe to step into that role, like Tallinder did for Myers. I envision a second pairing of Bogo and Kulikov. Two guys with similar games who aren't afraid to lay the lumber with Kulikov being the slightly more responsible D player.

That leaves a very slow pairing of Gorges and Franson. I'm not thrilled with in, especially in today's NHL. However to give either of these guys top 4 minutes would be a mistake. My hope is Nelson so outplays Franson in the pre-season that he earns Franson's job and Cody becomes the 7th D. This would add a good skating puck mover to our 3rd pairing and make the best use of Gorges' professionalism and physical play. While this is my hope, based on DD's comments I noted above, I think this is unlikely.

What did McCabe show you last year to make you think his capable of being the defensive rock next to Risto? McCabe has some qualities, but defensive stalwart is not one of them.

What did McCabe show you last year to make you think his capable of being the defensive rock next to Risto? McCabe has some qualities, but defensive stalwart is not one of them.

Actually he was one of our best Pkers last season especially late in the year and had decent possession numbers despite being a rookie and playing along side Bogosian.  He was also the top defensive D on both the Amerks and in college.  

Also you have to compare his numbers to the other possible partners for Risto.  Gorges? He is way to slow to play top line minutes anymore.  Kulikov?  He is sort of a L shooting version of Bogo.  His analytics are signifcantly worse then McCabe's and he is a 7 year veteran.  I'd rather take the risk of McCabe because of his excellent skating and high hockey IQ and let him focus on the D side of playing D.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I think Gorges and Franson are question marks, especially Franson. But as I said, if Guhle impresses like he did last year in the pre season, I think he'll get a look. He was well on his way to doing that last season as it is. Just a hunch. 

I'd leave Baptiste in Rochester. I don't think the 13th forward is worth it. Give him a short 5 games in Buffalo if you want but he needs more seasoning.

Agreed on Baptiste. Bailey and Fasching are a few steps ahead of him, in my eyes. Only one of Fasching/Bailey can make it, methinks.

Would you rather play Baptiste as a 13th forward in Buffalo or skating top 2 line minutes in Roch?

It depends what Bylsma meant by 13th forward. If he meant it in the literal sense of 45 press box games and another 30 getting 6 minutes, then Rochester is the clear choice. But I'd like to imagine he simply meant we need an additional forward to carry and where in the lineup that player plays is dependent upon who it is.

It depends what Bylsma meant by 13th forward. If he meant it in the literal sense of 45 press box games and another 30 getting 6 minutes, then Rochester is the clear choice. But I'd like to imagine he simply meant we need an additional forward to carry and where in the lineup that player plays is dependent upon who it is.

That will depend on how GMTM and DD use the 4th line. If they plan to roll 4 lines and expect a reasonable amount of offense from that line, then I think they'll be willing to allow a kid to earn the 3rd or 4th line RW job over Gionta snd Deslauriers thereby demoting Nick to the pressbox. However if they want to run the Larsson line as the third line and only use the 4th line as a energy and checking line, then the kids are going down to Roch and the 13th forward will be a vet of some kind.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.