Rochester Americans 2016-2017

Cereal

I see they're playing the same system as the big club. Get badly outshot and hope you can squeek one out.

Pretty much. Squeak one out is what happened tonight. Shoot out win. Thank you again, Linus.

On a side note, Timmy is one tough SOB. Took a snapshot to the face while lying on the ice. He popped back up after 20 sec or so and then headed off for repairs. He was right back out there as soon as they fixed his face.

Pretty much. Squeak one out is what happened tonight. Shoot out win. Thank you again, Linus.

On a side note, Timmy is one tough SOB. Took a snapshot to the face while lying on the ice. He popped back up after 20 sec or so and then headed off for repairs. He was right back out there as soon as they fixed his face.

Was a great game, but the Amerks still blow way too many leads....sound familiar? Linus was great in goal, he faced a lot of rubber tonight, which is par for the course as he has faced more shots than any other goalie in the AHL. How both the Sabres and Amerks are consistently outshot is mind numbing. If the Amerks had as many shots as the Crunch tonight, the score might have been 7-3.

• 2 weeks later...

To the posters that get to see Nylander regularly,

Do you think that having him play in Rochester over juniors was the correct choice? Is he making progress in a "man's league" that he wouldn't be making in juniors?

Mitchell Marner is a tiny guy that was too skilled to go back to juniors last year, but he still did, and his development seems to be fine. If Nylander is struggling the way I'm reading he is, I wonder if this was the best place for him after all. Especially since the Amerks have been a tire fire recently. 

Do you think that having him play in Rochester over juniors was the correct choice? Is he making progress in a "man's league" that he wouldn't be making in juniors?

Mitchell Marner is a tiny guy that was too skilled to go back to juniors last year, but he still did, and his development seems to be fine. If Nylander is struggling the way I'm reading he is, I wonder if this was the best place for him after all. Especially since the Amerks have been a tire fire recently.

He should've taken his brother's road: Sweden first, then AHL to close out the year.

So is he damaged at this point? He seemed more than fine at the WJC. Is 17 points in 33 games in his first pro season something to be concerned about?

He probably should have played in the juniors this year. He gets man handled quite a bit. On open ice he is creative and makes good plays but gets abused on the boards every single time. I worry some nights that he's going to be seriously injured.

He probably should have played in the juniors this year. He gets man handled quite a bit. On open ice he is creative and makes good plays but gets abused on the boards every single time. I worry some nights that he's going to be seriously injured.

Well sometimes ppl just adjust and just maybe he can keep playing and growing before getting really hurt and that way become what we need him to be, we will see.

I agree to TrueBlue though, he should have played 1 season in SHL, than went to AHL, to be more prepared.

No, he is not "damaged" and the choice between ahl/juniors is really 50/50. i'd prefer him in Rochester personally but ppl need to remember how young this kid is!! If he was a 3rd round pick 17 pts in 33 would by dynamite. high expectations cos draft status , but ppl should not worry. he is not damaged, and will turn into a phenomenal player who could possibly find a pivotal spot on jacks wing. each player has their own development rate, 17 pts- would not say necessarily struggling. Be patient, he will do well. btw anyone who wants to trade him should wait to see what he can actually eventually do at an nhl level and may want to reconsider that position. He is also clearly our best prospect lets just stop trading those at this point.

Well sometimes ppl just adjust and just maybe he can keep playing and growing before getting really hurt and that way become what we need him to be, we will see.

I agree to TrueBlue though, he should have played 1 season in SHL, than went to AHL, to be more prepared.

I'm not suggesting that he's ruined or anything like that. I'm just wondering how much you can learn about playing the boards when you're upside down.

No, he is not "damaged" and the choice between ahl/juniors is really 50/50. i'd prefer him in Rochester personally but ppl need to remember how young this kid is!! If he was a 3rd round pick 17 pts in 33 would by dynamite. high expectations cos draft status , but ppl should not worry. he is not damaged, and will turn into a phenomenal player who could possibly find a pivotal spot on jacks wing. each player has their own development rate, 17 pts- would not say necessarily struggling. Be patient, he will do well. btw anyone who wants to trade him should wait to see what he can actually eventually do at an nhl level and may want to reconsider that position. He is also clearly our best prospect lets just stop trading those at this point.

Maybe "phenomenal" is a little strong of an adjective in regards to his potential? I feel he has a decent chance of being a good NHL player one day. Down the road a bit.

He's the youngest player in the AHL. After the season is over he'll have the knowledge of what he needs to work on to play in the North American pros, and how he needs to improve his physicality. He wouldn't get that in other leagues. It will put him ahead of his contemporaries.

I honestly believe in developing a player. I understand the rush to have immediate return from an investment. That's the ultimate scenario. I'll refer to Carrier as my example. It seems no one regarded him as a legitimate prospect. How many years did he stew in the A? We could all agree that he has become an asset? Why rush a guy? IMO Sam should have had that time as well.

I honestly believe in developing a player. I understand the rush to have immediate return from an investment. That's the ultimate scenario. I'll refer to Carrier as my example. It seems no one regarded him as a legitimate prospect. How many years did he stew in the A? We could all agree that he has become an asset? Why rush a guy? IMO Sam should have had that time as well.

Carrier needs to put up more points before we can legitimately call him an asset. I like his game, but 6 points in 33 games, even on the low-scoring Sabres, makes him JAG.

Carrier needs to put up more points before we can legitimately call him an asset. I like his game, but 6 points in 33 games, even on the low-scoring Sabres, makes him JAG.

He's a young controlled asset. He's probably not going to be a 30 goal guy but 15-20 with the right line mate isn't out of the question.

He's the youngest player in the AHL. After the season is over he'll have the knowledge of what he needs to work on to play in the North American pros, and how he needs to improve his physicality. He wouldn't get that in other leagues. It will put him ahead of his contemporaries.

He already knows.   His Dad and brother are his guides.    He'll be fine, I'm not worried about him, he's just young.  

That said, he showed some flashes of offensive brilliance at the WJC, but I wasn't impressed with his overall game.... too lackadaisical.    

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.