Do you think it's time for uniform changes?

Hoss

Sabres uniforms  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it's time for Buffalo to upgrade their uniforms?

• Yes, overhaul the whole look (including logo changes)
    • Yes, overhaul the uniforms but don't touch the logo
    • Yes, but just go back to the royals
    • No, they're perfect as-is

So, what do you think?

I said in another thread that I'm now in the camp that thinks our uniforms are bad. They're really bland which USUALLY looks great in hockey except we've got navy mixed with a ton of bad silver piping/patches.

I wouldn't be opposed to a whole new look that's clean and royal with the old logo, but I'll always support a near copy of our originals.

Short answer? Hell yeah

Long answer?

It's beyond frustrating. Hands down the greatest jersey ever worn, and an overwhelming favorite by a vocal and loyal fan base, and they just refuse to bring it back

It is almost like they are tone def. Boggles the mind that with todays technology that Russ Brandon marketing guru can't figure out what Sabres' fans want. 

Short answer? Hell yeah

Long answer?

It's beyond frustrating. Hands down the greatest jersey ever worn, and an overwhelming favorite by a vocal and loyal fan base, and they just refuse to bring it back

T-Minus 4 years. I'm telling you. 50th Anniversary. Won't change until then.

My list, as I've laid out before:

Royal Blue (it will probably be the same as the new Bills blue, and I'm totally fine with that)

No piping

No pit stains

NO GREY ANYWHERE

No silver for that matter

Non-metallic gold

Legit stripes.

Fixed

I don't get it at all. The Bills FINALLY got it right after years of crap. I hate the Sabres unis right now and only the royal blue will fix it......probably not shocking since I started a royal blue thread a while back. Might as well revive it in case anyone at Sabres ever visit this site

6 stripes on the socks. 

6 stripes. 

Couldn't really vote, as I don't see the need to overhaul the uniform nor "return" to the royal blue that so many here seem to favour.

I'd like to see the blue lighten up a bit (the dark blue is a choice made in and throughout the sports jersey industry - something about how it's better for TV (e.g., Notre Dame went to dark blue many years ago)) and a return to the traditional striping scheme.

And, yes - please, no silver/grey. And the pit stains are silly.

So maybe that is an overhaul?

With regard to the royal blue: Neither my memory nor my Googling indicates that the team had a heyday of truly royal blue jerseys. The 70s and 80s seem to have had a slightly darker hue than that. Or maybe royal is actually darker than I am thinking.

Rw6B57s.jpg

I dig those socks

french_connection.jpg

This is just such a good look. I would make the logo bigger, and the modern cut of jerseys (especially with Adidas coming in with a seemingly all-new cut) will make it a more modern and slightly different look but it's beautiful.

Maybe that's our chance to see change - with Adidas coming in.

Edited by Hoss

I think the moratorium should continue for awhile. Let it rest. The 50th anniversary provides an opportunity and a pressure to finally get it right. To do it now would more than likely bring disappointing results — a rushed money grab is what I'm fearing.

That's what thirds are for.

Since people are always buying jerseys, I can't believe they make money on changing the regulars. I can't even imagine how much it costs to change the logos on just the scoreboard alone, let alone every other logo throughout the rest of Sabresland.

When this team is a legit contender I want them to look right because if things go as planned and they make a Finals or even win a Cup, I want those memories to include aesthetically pleasing uniforms.

Currently watching FIN/SWE play in the WCOH.  I like the Adidas jersey cut.    They appear to be cut closer to the armpit, so there's not a flap hanging there under the arm.   However, the whites (FIN) are a bit too transparent.    They also have the 3 Adidas stripes running down each side, which looks OK.... maybe it's just branding for this tournament, those likely won't make it to the NHL next season.

That's what thirds are for.

Since people are always buying jerseys, I can't believe they make money on changing the regulars. I can't even imagine how much it costs to change the logos on just the scoreboard alone, let alone every other logo throughout the rest of Sabresland.

Teams make a TON on new uniforms.

When this team is a legit contender I want them to look right because if things go as planned and they make a Finals or even win a Cup, I want those memories to include aesthetically pleasing uniforms.

Currently watching FIN/SWE play in the WCOH. I like the Adidas jersey cut. They appear to be cut closer to the armpit, so there's not a flap hanging there under the arm. However, the whites (FIN) are a bit too transparent. They also have the 3 Adidas stripes running down each side, which looks OK.... maybe it's just branding for this tournament, those likely won't make it to the NHL next season.

Good observations on Adidas. I do worry they're going to throw their three stripes on every jersey like RBK did with the piping Edge template. If they do, though, it's more tolerable than the Edge piping. I do think they'll have a few teams, including Vegas (I'm almost 100% sure they'll have it), wear the three stripes.

I think white is surprisingly more transparent on some RBK sweaters anyways, so I don't know if it would be any worse.

Teams make a TON on new uniforms.

Do you know this to actually be true, with numbers and all, or are you just saying this? I would imagine they sell a lot of jerseys at first but wonder how much of that profit has to go towards re-branding the entire arena and elsewhere.

Do you know this to actually be true, with numbers and all, or are you just saying this? I would imagine they sell a lot of jerseys at first but wonder how much of that profit has to go towards re-branding the entire arena and elsewhere.

They only have to rebrand the arena if they do major color changes. If Buffalo changed to royal blue than all the blue in the arena would need switched but that's about it. If Buffalo just offered and alternate 3rd that was a replica of those old royal blues than tons of money with no arena changes. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.