Explain Your Avatar!

WildCard

It's from when I started lurking on this board many moons ago. I picked an avatar for a player I saw as a kid flying around the ice wearing a headband, Rick Dudley. I liked him and he's Canadian and they invented Hockey so I tried to get cute with my user id Dudly_do_right of the Canadian Mounties fame. I also grew up watching and enjoying hockey night in Canada, the cartoon Dudley do right and loved to hate the Montreal Canadian dynasty that was. So in the end its my odd way of showing my respect to my team, Canada and the sport I have grown to love even though those canucks are all hoser's...  

I've had a number of avatars, but this current one is a picture of the Buffalo Fire Department's fireboat, the Edward M. Cotter. It's berth is a stones throw from Marine Midland/HSBC/First Niagara/Key Bank Center. Also, I am a big fan of the history of Buffalo (and especially its waterfront).  And it's a cool picture.

A picture taken from the concourse leading into the golds at the old barn.** I can't remember the layout of the place that well - but I'd think it was around Section 19.

I acknowledge that I risk a Chet and Muffy vibe in presenting a view from the golds. But I love the perspective the photo gives on the blues and oranges.

For years (and I mean years), I used a shot of a concession area located, I think, at the top of the upper blues. I may return to that one.

Basically, I look for a photo of a spot where that Aud smell was presumably strong. I have a very specific concourse/ramp area in mind (ground level, heading up to the oranges) - but I've never seen a picture of it.

** That's the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium, for those of you who could not remember when U2 ruled as best band in the world.  :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marching_Morons

Even Mike Judge was influenced...

I read that story in college (circa 1976) - it has proven eerily prescient, especially in the last few years. Common sense is a commodity that seems to be in very short supply these days (excepting for all of us here on this board, of course!)

I still think of Blue as a great big azure cow.

No great story behind mine; it just kind of represents a metaphor for what I do on here.

I've thought about changing it from time to time, but nothing's ever really caught my attention as being worthwhile.

Maybe if I could commission Josie to paint me something.

Good news! It's coming back as soon as the election is done.

My current avatar was chosen very early in the election cycle last summer when everyone was freaking out about every single poll. Well one pollster was including "Deez Nuts" among candidate choices, and it was polling at 10% or so consistently. The whole point of me taking the avatar was to point out how little people pay attention to the presidential election 15 months before it happens, and now little polls at that point actually mean. Currently, the avatar represents arguably the best choice for your 2016 vote :D

Anne Hathaway is hot. :wub:

In this picture, at least.

I love me some Anne Hathaway.

Good news! It's coming back as soon as the election is done.

My current avatar was chosen very early in the election cycle last summer when everyone was freaking out about every single poll. Well one pollster was including "Deez Nuts" among candidate choices, and it was polling at 10% or so consistently. The whole point of me taking the avatar was to point out how little people pay attention to the presidential election 15 months before it happens, and now little polls at that point actually mean. Currently, the avatar represents arguably the best choice for your 2016 vote :D

I love me some Anne Hathaway.

Is Harambe still polling well? I saw his name pop up a few times

Is Harambe still polling well? I saw his name pop up a few times

This prompts me to recall the Harambe joke that made me do a spit take yesterday:

The worst thing about Harambe getting shot is that Skyline will have to find a new gorilla’s sh1t to make their chili out of. The best thing about Harambe getting shot is that people now have a second thing they know about Cincinnati.

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2016-cincinnati-bengals-1785734660

Edited by That Aud Smell

This prompts me to recall the Harambe joke that made me do a spit take yesterday:

The worst thing about Harambe getting shot is that Skyline will have to find a new gorilla’s sh1t to make their chili out of. The best thing about Harambe getting shot is that people now have a second thing they know about Cincinnati.

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2016-cincinnati-bengals-1785734660

Ok that is funny.

No change in avatar, same ol' same ol'. But I decided to go back to my original screen name.

That name feels better. That's the one that's always popped up when I've seen that avatar. I feel I need a name change myself. The reference to tin in the periodic table was an obscure reference to "putting on the foil". I'm a putting in the foil type of guy. I think it was PA that first used iT in my reference. If anything I think I'm more of an iT than anything else. One day when I'm not battling bad guys I may make the switch.

Yes, it was nearing the end of the season, but when Kane flipped the puck in to mans land to Eichel on a breakaway and Jack made Cam Ward look like a deer in headlights, it put the final nail in the coffin for the tank. Seeing the reaction of Ray and RJ was priceless. And from I can recall, many watching the game on television were complaining about constant showings of RJ during the game. Proved to be worth it w/ 1 second left on the clock. A goal I'll never forget. No plan to change my avatar anytime soon. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.