Dennis Wideman and Don Henderson

WildCard

While Dennis Wideman awaits news regarding the NHL’s interest in vacating the arbitrator’s decision to reduce his suspension from 20 games to 10 games, the linesman that he hit could be waiting on much worse news. On Saturday, it was announced that Don Henderson – the NHL linesman on the receiving end of the Wideman hit – could be facing an early retirement after having back surgery to repair some of the damage from the hit.

The surgery, according to Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe, was to repair “two ruptured disks in his neck. Dupont went on to say that one of Henderson’s colleague mentioned that because of the surgery, the 47-year-old linesman’s career could be over.

Henderson was diagnosed with a concussion following the January 27 incident. The arbitrator who reduced Wideman’s suspension noted that there was not sufficient evidence to back up the allegations that the Flames’ defenceman deliberately hit Henderson.

Henderson, however, hasn’t officiated a game since being cross checked by Wideman. A 21-year NHL veteran, Henderson’s hit the ice in nearly 1,300 games including the playoffs. While both Wideman and Henderson await different conclusions, this is surely not the end of this long, drawn out saga.

http://thehockeywriters.com/linesman-don-hendersons-career-could-be-over-report/

I still think he's a dick who did it on purpose

Edited by WildCard

Good thing Regier didn't sign him after drafting him.

I feel horrible for Henderson. No excuse for Wideman's actions.  I think a 20 games suspension isn't long enough.  I am a believer that players who take cheap shots on officials or other players and cause injury should sit out as long as their victims.  If Henderson's career is over.  Then to bad for Wideman.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I absolutely believe the hit was intentional. I'm far less convinced, however, that he was thinking clearly at the time and maliciously targeted an official. I'm unconvinced he had enough cognitive ability at the time to recognize it was an official who got in his way.

But anyway, I'm not especially in the mood to re-litigate the thing. Or maybe I am since I posted, and I just don't know it :lol:

I absolutely believe the hit was intentional. I'm far less convinced, however, that he was thinking clearly at the time and maliciously targeted an official. I'm unconvinced he had enough cognitive ability at the time to recognize it was an official who got in his way.

But anyway, I'm not especially in the mood to re-litigate the thing. Or maybe I am since I posted, and I just don't know it :lol:

that's where I was at.  I can't label it intentional if I believe he didn't have all of his cognitive abilities.

The benefit of the doubt I gave Wideman at the time (cognitive capacity and intent) remains with me today. The first portion of the video is damning. The second portion, where Wideman sits on the bench, is not damning, in my view. Call me naive. I just don't see a guy with any awareness of the trouble he's about to be in. There is no "oh, man" resignation or panic on his face. There's no exculpatory arguing or gesturing. I'm fine with 20, too. My best to Henderson.

Edited by N'eo

I still think he's a dick who did it on purpose

Absolutely no doubt in my mind.  He looks a bit dazed after he was hit, but 1) there's NO WAY he mistakes the linesman for an opposing player, with the strips and all, and 2) even if it was an opposing player, there was absolutely no justification for hitting him, and 3) bringing the arms and stick up is a pretty clearly malicious move.

The benefit of the doubt I gave Wideman at the time (cognitive capacity and intent) remains with me today. The first portion of the video is damning. The second portion, where Wideman sits on the bench, is not damning, in my view. Call me naive. I just don't see a guy with any awareness of the trouble he's about to be in. There is no "oh, man" resignation or panic on his face. There's no exculpatory arguing or gesturing. I'm fine with 20, too. My best to Henderson.

If he did it on accident, wouldn't he have this look on his face? When shatter a plate I drop, I have a look of panic. When I hurl it at the door, I don't; I look just like he did

Absolutely no doubt in my mind.  He looks a bit dazed after he was hit, but 1) there's NO WAY he mistakes the linesman for an opposing player, with the strips and all, and 2) even if it was an opposing player, there was absolutely no justification for hitting him, and 3) bringing the arms and stick up is a pretty clearly malicious move.

1) yes

2) yes

3) and yes. 

If he did it on accident, wouldn't he have this look on his face? When shatter a plate I drop, I have a look of panic. When I hurl it at the door, I don't; I look just like he did

1) yes

2) yes

3) and yes.

You just made me think!

Not so sure about that.

Got a serious whack to the back of the head w/ a stick once. Ended up w/ a nice welt on my cheek where it hit my full shield visor. Was aware enough of who'd done it, but couldn't figure out why the play was already out of the zone by that time. Have no memory whatsoever of getting from the other team's goal line out to the neutral zone.

Remember being on the bench after that w/ a girl on the team asking "are you ok?" #### yeah, or something to that effect was the reply. About 4 weeks later, that was a true statement.

Purely anecdotal, but this kid is good w/ believing he didn't realize he was hitting Henderson or that his addled mind somehow thought it was ok & he wouldn't have done it sober/sane. Also am fully on board w/ the full 20 game suspension. Don't often support 0 tolerance, but protecting the officials from physical abuse is critical for a fair game. Sorry Dennis, bad break.

I believe Wideman hit his head on the boards so hard he was dazed for a while and thought the ref was a player going to the Nashville bench as he was right in front of it.

Even if it was a player and not an official, there was no reason for  that hit.

What a regrettable post script - I do hope the linesman can recover from whatever injuries were actually caused by the incident. 

It's a bit of angels dancing on the head of a pin. How could it have been truly intentional if he was so cognitively impaired that he didn't understand that he was trucking a linesman?

that's where I was at.  I can't label it intentional if I believe he didn't have all of his cognitive abilities.

Yep.

Not so sure about that.

Got a serious whack to the back of the head w/ a stick once. Ended up w/ a nice welt on my cheek where it hit my full shield visor. Was aware enough of who'd done it, but couldn't figure out why the play was already out of the zone by that time. Have no memory whatsoever of getting from the other team's goal line out to the neutral zone.

Remember being on the bench after that w/ a girl on the team asking "are you ok?" #### yeah, or something to that effect was the reply. About 4 weeks later, that was a true statement.

Purely anecdotal, but this kid is good w/ believing he didn't realize he was hitting Henderson or that his addled mind somehow thought it was ok & he wouldn't have done it sober/sane. Also am fully on board w/ the full 20 game suspension. Don't often support 0 tolerance, but protecting the officials from physical abuse is critical for a fair game. Sorry Dennis, bad break.

Agreed. I feel like those who are coming down hard on the player are under-estimating/misunderstanding how head traumas can affect a player's ability to process information on the ice, field.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.