Do you think GMTM is done tinkering with the Sabres roster?

GASabresIUFAN

Other then waiting for Vesey, do you think GMTM is done tinkering with the Sabres roster?  I know there are the Fowler rumors, the trade Kane rumors or that Girgensons is on the block, but I don't believe any of it at this point.  I think GMTM is happy with his balanced D.  Kane isn't going anywhere for now as his trade value is diminished with the charges pending and I believe GMTM is content for now to allow some of the kids (Carrier, Nylander, Nelson, Guhle, Fasching and Bailey) to compete for NHL jobs for cap and developmental reasons.  

Thoughts?

Other then waiting for Vesey, do you think GMTM is done tinkering with the Sabres roster?  I know there are the Fowler rumors, the trade Kane rumors or that Girgensons is on the block, but I don't believe any of it at this point.  I think GMTM is happy with his balanced D.  Kane isn't going anywhere for now as his trade value is diminished with the charges pending and I believe GMTM is content for now to allow some of the kids (Carrier, Nylander, Nelson, Guhle, Fasching and Bailey) to compete for NHL jobs for cap and developmental reasons.  

Thoughts?

I believe GMTM always has an ear to the ground for possible moves, but that he may be counting on Guhle to take a roster spot this year for the D.  

He added a first line winger, and a defenceman who projects to play on the first pair.

Those are pretty significant moves.

I do think there is/was a deal or deals on the table with Anahiem and or Minnesota involving a defenceman. I do think Girgensons and/or Ennis is available for the right price. Not expecting those to happen, but not counting them out. I'm not sold on Falk/Nelson in the number seven spot.

I think a Vesey signing makes a forward move more likely.

That Aud Smell, on 22 Jul 2016 - 10:51 AM, said:

Timely thread for me.

I keep thinking about GM TM's forecast of a high level of offseason activity. Did I mishear him? Project more onto him than was warranted? I feel like there's gotta be something more in the works.

Risto isn't finished and Vesey hasn't made a decision.  I think both of these things combined are tying his hands. 

His checklist going into the off-season was:

1) LW for Jack

2) Puck moving/PP QB LD

I think an argument can be made that he accomplished neither of these things. Kulikov is a LD, but he isn't a Fowler type puck mover.  Okposo is a great edition and I'm thrilled to get him.  However he is an upgrade on Ennis as ROR's RW.  He isn't a winger for Jack, unless we swap Okposo and Reinhart.

So this means GMTM needs to acquire those skills (which I don't he'll do this season) or that we need McCabe to grow into move of a puck mover and PP QB or get those services from a rookie like Guhle or Nelson.  I actually have confidence in McCabe to take on those roles if DD gives him an opportunity.   The LW situation is also still a mess and won't be resolved until training camp even if Vesey signs, unless GMTM makes another deal.  I think this is unlikely for cap and expansion reasons.  For once I think GMTM is going with the current roster.

Risto isn't finished and Vesey hasn't made a decision.  I think both of these things combined are tying his hands.

Risto maybe but I think they know where its gonna end up and Vesey I do think TM has moved on and prob knows the outcome either way. Not sure Vesey solves wing issue short term if he does sign. So trade will happen or not despite Vesey.

His checklist going into the off-season was:

1) LW for Jack

2) Puck moving/PP QB LD

I think an argument can be made that he accomplished neither of these things. Kulikov is a LD, but he isn't a Fowler type puck mover. Okposo is a great edition and I'm thrilled to get him. However he is an upgrade on Ennis as ROR's RW. He isn't a winger for Jack, unless we swap Okposo and Reinhart.

So this means GMTM needs to acquire those skills (which I don't he'll do this season) or that we need McCabe to grow into move of a puck mover and PP QB or get those services from a rookie like Guhle or Nelson. I actually have confidence in McCabe to take on those roles if DD gives him an opportunity. The LW situation is also still a mess and won't be resolved until training camp even if Vesey signs, unless GMTM makes another deal. I think this is unlikely for cap and expansion reasons. For once I think GMTM is going with the current roster.

Agree we still need to upgrade our puck moving skills on D. Not so certain about the PP issue.

Which one of ROR, Risto Eichel, Reinhart and Okposo is being bumped off the first unit PP for McCabe or Nelson or Guhle? Or even Fowler? Franson is a better PP player than most available, even if DD didn't seem to think so.

I don't recall Murray ever specifically talking about Jack needing a LW specifically. I believe what he said was that maybe Jack's sidekick wasn't in the organization yet. Okposo, Vesey and Nylander are three pretty significant moves to get him one.

Edited by dudacek

I doubt he'll ever be done tinkering. He shouldnt ever be done.

Fair enough. Maybe I should have said is he done making major changes. You are right about he shouldn't ever be done. I don't think Pitt wins the Cup last year without the new coach, the Haglin deal or even the Schultz deal? However, I don't think any more major moves are going to happen this off-season. In season deals are another matter.

Since he's personally said he wants another D or 2 and a winger I think we arent done yet.

He did say this, but I took it to mean depth players in Buffalo or Rochester. He signed one depth guy for Rochester yesterday. Edited by GASabresIUFAN

• 1 month later...

With Vesey issue settled.  The Sabres looks as follows:

Forwards Under Contract (12) Ennis, Kane, Okposo, Eichel, ROR, Reinhart, Larsson, Gionta, Foligno, Moulson, Deslauriers & COR.   Plus prospects Bailey, Nylander and Rodrigues.  RFA: Girgensons

Defense Under Contract (5) Bogosian, Gorges, Franson, McCabe and Kulikov.  Plus RFA: Ristolain, prospects Guhle and Nelson and Vets Falk and Grant.

Goalies Under Contract (2) Lehner and Nilsson

So is this the roster we go to camp with?  I'm beginning to believe this might not be the case because of Kane and losing Vesey.  There are just to many questions at LW.

Hmm.

Man, I don't know.

Part of me would like to believe that GM TM has a rabbit to pull out of a hat.

But I am prepared for this to be the roster going into camp (with the RFAs being extended in some way).

Same here, I think I've been spoiled by the last few offseasons. If you look at any particular franchise, even "desirable" ones, they rarely put together a string of additions like we have in the past three years (Jack, Sam, Risto, Nylander, Kane, Bogosian, O'Reilly, Kulikov, Lehner, Okposo all being either top four defensemen, top six forwards, or huge potential prospects and a goalie.) It makes sense that at least on the trade front, things were a little bit slower.

GMTM likely has an eye on Fowler, but the asking price could still be too high.    It's assumed ANA will re-sign Lindholm and Rakell, and they could likely do it just under the cap, but would prefer to move Fowler off the books as they would have almost 50% of their cap tied up on the blueline.   They need forwards who can score. 

So it wouldn't come as a surprise if a big 3-way deal goes down between CGY-ANA-BUF.    All 3 have high profile RFAs and are trying to get deals done, something needs to give.    I expect GMTM to re-sign Ristolainen, but he could be dangling Kane as part of a deal for Fowler, or some larger deal.   

I think we are looking for another D man.. but wont over pay for any player. Especially from teams who will need to trim some salary cap

I actually don't think we are.  Fowler was plan A and Kulikov plan B.  

I think we are pretty set on D, even if Guhle doesn't make it.

I would be shocked if they do not bring in a veteran Mike Weber-level depth defenceman to make Guhle and Nelson force their way on to the roster.

I would not be shocked if they are perfectly fine letting COR or Grant fill the 13th forward spot if the kids are better served in the minors to start the year.

Sure Murray will make a trade if he can improve the defence or at left wing, or if another GM makes a big push for Girgs or Kane or Ennis. But trading the latter three would mean selling low and I think Murray is too smart to do that.

The opening night lineup is already on the roster.

Edited by dudacek

I would be shocked if they do not bring in a veteran Mike Weber-level depth defenceman to make Guhle and Nelson force their way on to the roster.

I would not be shocked if they are perfectly fine letting COR or Grant fill the 13th forward spot if the kids are better served in the minors to start the year.

Sure Murray will make a trade if he can improve the defence or at left wing, or if another GM makes a big push for Girgs or Kane or Ennis. But trading the latter three would mean selling low and I think Murray is too smart to do that.

The opening night lineup is already on the roster.

That is what I thought, but LW is totally a question mark right now

1) Kane - before the legal issues he was penciled in as No. 1 or 2 LW, but now he could get suspended by the Sabres and or the NHL depending on how the legal proceeding go.

2) Ennis - Coming off a serious injury and likely moving from RW to LW.  Will he be back to 2014-15 form or is he going down the Tim Connolly path?

3) Moulson - Can he skate well enough to play in the top 6 and if so, will he even produce?

4) Girgensons - Who knows what position he is going to play and once CDB gives him a position will he produce offensively?

5) Foligno - not exactly a top 6 kind of guy and is on a one year prove it deal

6) Deslauriers - Fun 4th line or 13th forward.

Those are your current candidates roster candidates?  Do you really feel good about any of them?  Do you give Carrier a shot in the NHL and is he a top 2 line forward? Other possibilities I guess are Bailey, Okposo, or Reinhart moving from RW to LW, but that isn't my first choice.  Best hockey scenario is that Ennis finds his game and Kane escapes legal problems without getting suspended.  If I had to guess right now, maybe GMTM swaps Girgensons to someone who needs a 3rd line center for a young winger during camp.

DLo is what he is and any chance of Moulson rebounding is a pure lottery shot.

But like them or not, Foligno, Girgensons, Kane and Ennis are real NHL players.

Sure they all come with question marks, and we'd be foolish to expect career years from all of them.

But the chances of none of them being able to contribute are pretty slim.

Given their ages, I'd say past performance is the best indicator of what we should expect from them.

I think there is a better chance that each is better than last year than each is worse.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.