Do you think GMTM is done tinkering with the Sabres roster?

GASabresIUFAN

Yea, you think they are losers and suck, I think they will be fine. Different view here. 

Ennis - ROR - Okposo

Kane/Zemgus-Eichel-Reinhart

Kane/Zemgus-Larsson-Gionta

Foligno - Cal O'Reilly - Moulson

Des

I see no reason why a line with 3 vets 2 of whom skate fairly well should be a cause for concern. They will not be playing against Crosby, they will be playing against Matt Cullen or similar. 

At most I would like Tim Murray to bring in a veteran center for that 4th line so Cal OReilly can be in Rochester. Personally I would have brought back Legwand for 1 more season.

Based on this lineup who do you think gets protected for the expansion draft?

Speed is a fun movie, but you probably could have streamed from Netflix or Hulu or comcast on demand or got the DvD from the library for nothing.

I was looking at our cap numbers on capfriendly and they have us at 64.8 right now with Big Z and Risto still to sign. However, they include McCormick (1.5), Fasching (925K), Kasdorf (612K), and COR (700K) none of which are likely to be on the team when the season starts. They also include Nelson (650K) who I think has a reasonable chance of making the team. I also think Bailey (670K) has a good chance of making the team.

That puts our cap more like 61.8 if Nelson and Bailey make the team before signing Risto and Big Z. Add about 7 to 7.5 for Risto and Big Z an'd that puts us at around 69 million to start the season. Granted Cody's 1.5 is really LTIR, but regardless we still have about 3 mill to work with if GMTM wants to add a LW or D. We'll have more if can get rid of Kane or Franson.

Depending on how Nelson, Guhle and Falk do in camp, I can easily see Franson demoted to Rochester.

Frankly I want Gorges on the 3rd pairing this season, but not with another ploder like Franson. Having two large and slow skaters on the same pairing in today's speed NHL is a scary proposition.

Anyway the point of this cap discussion was to illustrate that GMTM still has room to maneuver if the right deal comes along.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Based on this lineup who do you think gets protected for the expansion draft?

what can you protect 7 forwards? 

ROR, Okposo, Ennis, Zemgus, Larson, Moulson, Foligno.  I think Moulson has to be protected if I have that right and that Reinhart and Eichel are exempt from the expansion draft. So if that holds true, those are my picks. 

Speed wasn't on Netflix, unfortunately.

what can you protect 7 forwards? 

ROR, Okposo, Ennis, Zemgus, Larson, Moulson, Foligno.  I think Moulson has to be protected if I have that right and that Reinhart and Eichel are exempt from the expansion draft. So if that holds true, those are my picks.

Why protect Moulson? He doesn't have a NTC, does he?

Moulson has a modified NTC, not a no movement clause. He is eligible for expansion.

The Sabres will likely use the 7, 3, 1 option.

The 7 forwards Okposo, are they only certainty and probably Ennis. However for Kane, Larsson, Big Z and Foligno it might depend on who proves this season they are part of the solution. As of now all can be kept. However me might need or want to protect Carrier in the AHL.

The 3 D are Bogo (nmc), Risto and McCabe. We must expose someone who actually plays, so Gorges will be exposed. Franson and Kulikov are UFA's

My biggest worry is how the NHL defines 2nd year player. If they say guys who have played 2 years or less of pro hockey are exempt we are good to go, but what if they say guys who have finished 2 years of their ELC are now 3rd year pros? We'd the have to protect Jack, Sam, Bailey, Fasching, and Nelson. That would be huge mess.

Moulson has a modified NTC, not a no movement clause. He is eligible for expansion.

The Sabres will likely use the 7, 3, 1 option.

The 7 forwards Okposo, are they only certainty and probably Ennis. However for Kane, Larsson, Big Z and Foligno it might depend on who proves this season they are part of the solution. As of now all can be kept. However me might need or want to protect Carrier in the AHL.

The 3 D are Bogo (nmc), Risto and McCabe. We must expose someone who actually plays, so Gorges will be exposed. Franson and Kulikov are UFA's

My biggest worry is how the NHL defines 2nd year player. If they say guys who have played 2 years or less of pro hockey are exempt we are good to go, but what if they say guys who have finished 2 years of their ELC are now 3rd year pros? We'd the have to protect Jack, Sam, Bailey, Fasching, and Nelson. That would be huge mess.

I think it's an important topic because it has to play into how you think about making roster moves this off season.

I think it's an important topic because it has to play into how you think about making roster moves this off season.

it was certainly factor in the Pysyk Kulikov deal and will be a factor at the trade deadline. 

I want to see a letter from Bettman to the Sabres that exempt players are defined as a players who 2 years or less of pro hockey experience.  If this is the case the Sabres are in great shape at forward and defense.  One of the nice things for Buffalo is that expansion may help us get rid of a bad contract or two and create a roster spot for one of our good prospects.  We will be exposing Gorges, and Moulson and depending on how they play this season Ennis and/or Kane could also be exposed.  That's nearly $19 million of contracts.  I can see Kane or Gorges being taken by LV.  If Gorges is drafted that instantly opens a spot for Guhle and about $3 mill in cap space.  Losing Kane would open a slot for Nylander and save us $4 mill in cap

The area of issue is goaltender.  The Sabres can protect one goaltender only and must make available one goalie who is under contract (or an RFA with a qualifying offer)  No NHL game requirement exists for goalies.

Under the expansion rules.  Lehner would be our protected goalie.  Nilsson isn't available for the draft because he is an UFA and both Kasdorf and Ullmark are exempt.  GMTM will have to expose either Kasdorf or Ullmark despite their exempt status or re-sign Nilsson before the expansion draft or acquire another goaltender to satisfy expansion rules.

One other interest scenario on defense is what happens if Kulikov has an excellent season and GMTM wants to retain his services. Unfortunately GMTM can't re-sign him until after the expansion draft.  If he does re-sign him before the draft, he'd have to expose McCabe to expansion because Bogo has a NMC and I doubt he re-signed McCabe for 3 years just to lose him to expansion.

In thinking about it further

D - Protect:  McCabe, Bogo, and Ristolainen. Expose: Gorges  UFA: Franson and Kulikov Exempt: Nelson & Guhle

F - Protect: ROR, Okposo, Larsson, Foligno, Carrier, Girgensons and Ennis.  Expose: Deslauriers, Moulson and Kane.  Exempt (Hopefully): Sam, Jack, Fasching, Nylander, Baptiste and Bailey

G - Protect: Lehner,  Exempt: Ullmark  Expose: Kasdorf  UFA: Nilsson

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Wouldn't Carrier be exempt anyways? Also the only 2 that are hopefully exempt are Sam and Jack. The rest of the names after them are exempt. 

I think that if we expose Evander Kane, there is no way a team can turn him down. I honestly think Murray would rather trade him sometime this season.

it was certainly factor in the Pysyk Kulikov deal and will be a factor at the trade deadline. 

I want to see a letter from Bettman to the Sabres that exempt players are defined as a players who 2 years or less of pro hockey experience.  If this is the case the Sabres are in great shape at forward and defense.  One of the nice things for Buffalo is that expansion may help us get rid of a bad contract or two and create a roster spot for one of our good prospects.  We will be exposing Gorges, and Moulson and depending on how they play this season Ennis and/or Kane could also be exposed.  That's nearly $19 million of contracts.  I can see Kane or Gorges being taken by LV.  If Gorges is drafted that instantly opens a spot for Guhle and about $3 mill in cap space.  Losing Kane would open a slot for Nylander and save us $4 mill in cap

The area of issue is goaltender.  The Sabres can protect one goaltender only and must make available one goalie who is under contract (or an RFA with a qualifying offer)  No NHL game requirement exists for goalies.

Under the expansion rules.  Lehner would be our protected goalie.  Nilsson isn't available for the draft because he is an UFA and both Kasdorf and Ullmark are exempt.  GMTM will have to expose either Kasdorf or Ullmark despite their exempt status or re-sign Nilsson before the expansion draft or acquire another goaltender to satisfy expansion rules.

One other interest scenario on defense is what happens if Kulikov has an excellent season and GMTM wants to retain his services. Unfortunately GMTM can't re-sign him until after the expansion draft.  If he does re-sign him before the draft, he'd have to expose McCabe to expansion because Bogo has a NMC and I doubt he re-signed McCabe for 3 years just to lose him to expansion.

In thinking about it further

D - Protect:  McCabe, Bogo, and Ristolainen. Expose: Gorges  UFA: Franson and Kulikov Exempt: Nelson & Guhle

F - Protect: ROR, Okposo, Larsson, Foligno, Carrier, Girgensons and Ennis.  Expose: Deslauriers, Moulson and Kane.  Exempt (Hopefully): Sam, Jack, Fasching, Nylander, Baptiste and Bailey

G - Protect: Lehner,  Exempt: Ullmark  Expose: Kasdorf  UFA: Nilsson

Aren't Larrson and Foligno on one year deals?  I think Larrson would be a ufa after this year.

Wouldn't Carrier be exempt anyways? Also the only 2 that are hopefully exempt are Sam and Jack. The rest of the names after them are exempt. 

I think that if we expose Evander Kane, there is no way a team can turn him down. I honestly think Murray would rather trade him sometime this season.

I guess it all depends on how Murray feels about exempting Kane.  If he's willing to leave Kane unprotected then he'd have to consider that he'd most likely want to protect the player in the trade.  If he's not willing to expose Kane then he's not being traded. 

I think Murray would have made another move or two this off season had the expansion not been in play.  It's most likely why he didn't do more with another goaltender. 

The feeling I get is Murray probably likes Kane and his fit on the team more than the general consensus on the board. I don't think he's going to trade him this season, and I think he's going to get protected.

The question, to me, is whether or not Murray extends him after this contract is done.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.