Taylor Hall traded straight up for Adam Larsson

LGR4GM

Maybe this is why the Oilers never moved their core before.

The return was never there; this was all other GMs were willing to pay.

Also, to those who were arguing a first-pair D is worth more than an elite wing, you will never get better proof than this.

Also, to those who were arguing a first-pair D is worth more than an elite wing, you will never get better proof than this.

Makes you wonder if we could've gotten him on the cheap though. Surely Pysyk for Hall was discussed, I hope.

Makes you wonder if we could've gotten him on the cheap though. Surely Pysyk for Hall was discussed, I hope.

No. I don't believe this for a second. This was Chiarella targeting a young defenseman that he thought could be better and was worth Taylor Hall. 

Interesting point about the Oiler core. They couldn't give Yakupov away and now Hall fetches little in return. Hmm.

GO SABRES!!!

I have many thoughts on this trade, and didn't read where I assume everything got buried in the other thread, so I apologize for any repetition.

1) Poor McDavid.

2) On the one hand, I think this illustrates why Fowler and Shattenkirk didn't get moved (yet?). If it takes Taylor Hall to get Adam Larsson, then yea, we can all bury the "Girgensons + Ennis for Fowler" and related nonsense.

3) On the other hand, IT ONLY TOOK ADAM LARSSON TO GET TAYLOR HALL?!?!?!?! WHAT IN THE ACTUAL F?!?!?!?! The most reasonable conclusion I can draw from this is Pete Chiarelli likes Adam Larsson waaaaaaaaaay more than he should. It made sense to trade Hall in search of a #1 defenseman as he probably had the most trade value of their forwards...but not for Adam Larsson.

4) Emotion out of the way, should we really be so shocked that the guy who traded Tyler Seguin for enjoying life as a rich and famous athlete may actually be bad at his job? I hope it comes out that Chiarelli turned down Hall + Nurse or something similar for Subban, just so I can laugh some more.

5) Building off of #4, this is case in point about why "Why do you think you know better than GM ____?" is such a bad argument.

I just don't believe this to be the case. I could see this as a trade return for Eberle, but Hall is a legit top-10 winger in the league. No way they couldn't have done better. Hell, it's all over the place that Anaheim is looking for a 1st line LW for Fowler. I think ti's clear that Chiarelli truly valued Larsson. It's baffling.

Okay, this is funny:

On the bright side there might be an Oilers fan that thinks they're getting Oliver Ekman-Larsson in that trade.

Also funny:

Got to admire a GM like Chiarelli who sees his team lose (the draft lottery) and makes the moves to win (the draft lottery) immediately

I have many thoughts on this trade, and didn't read where I assume everything got buried in the other thread, so I apologize for any repetition.

1) Poor McDavid.

2) On the one hand, I think this illustrates why Fowler and Shattenkirk didn't get moved (yet?). If it takes Taylor Hall to get Adam Larsson, then yea, we can all bury the "Girgensons + Ennis for Fowler" and related nonsense.

3) On the other hand, IT ONLY TOOK ADAM LARSSON TO GET TAYLOR HALL?!?!?!?! WHAT IN THE ACTUAL F?!?!?!?! The most reasonable conclusion I can draw from this is Pete Chiarelli likes Adam Larsson waaaaaaaaaay more than he should. It made sense to trade Hall in search of a #1 defenseman as he probably had the most trade value of their forwards...but not for Adam Larsson.

4) Emotion out of the way, should we really be so shocked that the guy who traded Tyler Seguin for enjoying life as a rich and famous athlete may actually be bad at his job? I hope it comes out that Chiarelli turned down Hall + Nurse or something similar for Subban, just so I can laugh some more.

5) Building off of #4, this is case in point about why "Why do you think you know better than GM ____?" is such a bad argument.

I just don't believe this to be the case. I could see this as a trade return for Eberle, but Hall is a legit top-10 winger in the league. No way they couldn't have done better. Hell, it's all over the place that Anaheim is looking for a 1st line LW for Fowler. I think ti's clear that Chiarelli truly valued Larsson. It's baffling.

1) 

2) My first thought as well. That explains the Reinhart nonsense. It also makes the Kulikov deal look a lot better

3) I was worried when Chiarelli went to Edmonton. Now? Not so much  :lol:

4) Makes you wonder what RNH and Eberle are going to go for

5) GM's are morons people too

, I wanted Taylor Hall so bad. He was my dream, I would have given anything but our core 4 for him. And then NJ gets him for this ? And now he gets to go from an offensive dynamo to that shithole trap using team that is NJ? Queue the 'See, Hall can't play offense' garbage.

First Saad and now Hall, I have to stop wanting players to come here. I'm sorry I didn't want Stamkos, because then we would have been guaranteed to get him

Okay, this is funny:

On the bright side there might be an Oilers fan that thinks they're getting Oliver Ekman-Larsson in that trade.

Also funny:

Got to admire a GM like Chiarelli who sees his team lose (the draft lottery) and makes the moves to win (the draft lottery) immediately

That 2nd one is simply amazing 

It's what they needed to do.  The only way I'm sure Larsson was traded was for Hall.  Eberle and RNH weren't going to cut it, though RNH is more a fit for what they need long term. 

They needed to move him, but not for that garbage. Eberle and RNH alone for Larsson straight up would have been a good deal for NJ

Nice article with stats on Larsson-Hall trade

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-west/edmonton-oilers/chiarelli-misses-the-mark-once-again-with-taylor-hall-trade/

And here's the other thing about this trade, Chiarelli really couldn't get Weber or PK for Hall? 15 minutes after the deal was done the PK trade happened. Unreal

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.