Taylor Hall traded straight up for Adam Larsson

LGR4GM

This Hall quote (even if warranted) tells you why some were turned off by Hall's personality.

I dunno. For all of the losing and general incompetence in Edmonton, doesn't it say something about Hall's character that he wanted to be part of the solution? A guy with his pedigree easily could have tried to force his way out, but he didn't.

I dunno. For all of the losing and general incompetence in Edmonton, doesn't it say something about Hall's character that he wanted to be part of the solution? A guy with his pedigree easily could have tried to force his way out, but he didn't.

That does too.

GR reporting that we did indeed enquire about Hall, and they asked for Risto. Another part was

Subban for Drasaitl, Klefbom, and 4th overall

That's not quite what they were saying. It was "if the Sabres had wanted Hall, it would have taken Ristolainen", not that GMTM ever actually spoke with Edmonton about it.

That's not quite what they were saying. It was "if the Sabres had wanted Hall, it would have taken Ristolainen", not that GMTM ever actually spoke with Edmonton about it.

James Mirtle did indeed GMTM refused to give them Risto for Hall when asked. Not sure if Mirtle reported that before or after WGR went on.

The more that comes out, the clearer it becomes that Chiarelli really coveted Larsson. Which...I mean...good luck with that Edmonton!

You think Klefbom is as good as Risto?

Currently, I think it's pretty damn close. I'll take Risto's offense, but I think Klefbom is better defensively. Klefbom has also been a net positive possession player every year in the league, while Risto has been a net negative relative to their respective teams (at least some of this has to do with how Risto gets used). I do think Risto has more upside (that of a true #1), whereas Klefbom I think maxes out as a #2. No way I'd move Risto for Klefbom, but the latter is underapprreciated. People point to the McDavid injury, but I think it was really Klefbom going down that sunk Edmonton's season.

James Mirtle did indeed GMTM refused to give them Risto for Hall when asked. Not sure if Mirtle reported that before or after WGR went on.

WGR wasn't quoting anyone. They were just trying to figure out what we would have been able to give to get Hall. Ristolainen is basically our only D asset we could have traded straight up.

If Mirtle reported it, they weren't giving him any credit for it.

Edited by d4rksabre

WGR wasn't quoting anyone. They were just trying to figure out what we would have been able to give to get Hall. Ristolainen is basically our only D asset we could have traded straight up.

If Mirtle reported it, they weren't giving him any credit for it.

Let's hope so, because if we could've traded Bogo for Hall...and didn't...I'd have to throw a Kylo Ren style tantrum in the Bunker.

The more that comes out, the clearer it becomes that Chiarelli really coveted Larsson. Which...I mean...good luck with that Edmonton!

Currently, I think it's pretty damn close. I'll take Risto's offense, but I think Klefbom is better defensively. Klefbom has also been a net positive possession player every year in the league, while Risto has been a net negative relative to their respective teams (at least some of this has to do with how Risto gets used). I do think Risto has more upside (that of a true #1), whereas Klefbom I think maxes out as a #2. No way I'd move Risto for Klefbom, but the latter is underapprreciated. People point to the McDavid injury, but I think it was really Klefbom going down that sunk Edmonton's season.

Good stuff, thanks for answering. 

GR reporting that we did indeed enquire about Hall, and they asked for Risto. Another part was

Subban for Drasaitl, Klefbom, and 4th overall

If they were willing to give up Hall for Risto (straight up swap), TM needs to be fired right now.........

Risto may end up as a top pair defencemen (and I wouldn't be actively looking to trade him, but I would listen to offers on anyone), I just don't see him being in the top 5-10 of the players at his position in the NHL like Hall can be

If they were willing to give up Hall for Risto (straight up swap), TM needs to be fired right now.........

Risto may end up as a top pair defencemen (and I wouldn't be actively looking to trade him, but I would listen to offers on anyone), I just don't see him being in the top 5-10 of the players at his position in the NHL like Hall can be

If we had traded Risto for Hall, we would have fulfilled everyone's tank fears of becoming Edmonton. Hall is clearly a better player right now, but we have nobody outside of Risto who even projects to the top pair, let alone a true #1. 

I agree, but it always seems that half the crowd will take the comment one way, the other half take it a different way.

To me, I think I am in the crowd that it shows he wanted to be a part of the solution and wanted to stay and finish the job, he takes being trade as being that the team didn't feel he was good enough to be part of the solution

That's the thing with trades that must be hard on a player, most times the player feels hurt by their team trading them because they feel like the team didn't want them, instead of looking at it another way that the team they are going to was willing to give up assets to bring you in.

If we had traded Risto for Hall, we would have fulfilled everyone's tank fears of becoming Edmonton. Hall is clearly a better player right now, but we have nobody outside of Risto who even projects to the top pair, let alone a true #1. 

So then they can go out and trade or sign someone to take Ristos place. If you can trade a player who is good for a player who is Really good, you do it. It can also open up options of being able to trade away someone/something else who before wasn't Tradeable because you needed them. If you trade Risto straight up for hall, this opens the door to make a player like Kane expendable where maybe he can be used to bring in a Shattenkirk or Fowler.

As I mentioned, I wouldn't actively put Risto on the market and shop him for just anyone, but if your offered a top tier NHL player for him, straight up, why would you not do it?

I agree, but it always seems that half the crowd will take the comment one way, the other half take it a different way.

To me, I think I am in the crowd that it shows he wanted to be a part of the solution and wanted to stay and finish the job, he takes being trade as being that the team didn't feel he was good enough to be part of the solution

That's the thing with trades that must be hard on a player, most times the player feels hurt by their team trading them because they feel like the team didn't want them, instead of looking at it another way that the team they are going to was willing to give up assets to bring you in.

So then they can go out and trade or sign someone to take Ristos place. If you can trade a player who is good for a player who is Really good, you do it. It can also open up options of being able to trade away someone/something else who before wasn't Tradeable because you needed them. If you trade Risto straight up for hall, this opens the door to make a player like Kane expendable where maybe he can be used to bring in a Shattenkirk or Fowler.

As I mentioned, I wouldn't actively put Risto on the market and shop him for just anyone, but if your offered a top tier NHL player for him, straight up, why would you not do it?

With all due respect, have you seen the market for defensemen? It took Taylor Hall to get Adam Larsson! The best UFA RHD is Jason freakin' Demers. "Just go out and get one" is just not a viable option. All else equal I'd rather have Taylor Hall right now than Rasmus Ristolainen. However, all else is not equal.

The Sabres have been around for nearly 50 years and have never had a defenceman with genuine #1 upside before Risto - Schoeny and Ramsay didn't have the offence. Housley couldn't defend a butterfly.

They cost a lot because they aren't easy to come by.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.